Puppeteer

Author Topic: So what does everybody use for inverters?  (Read 14377 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: So what does everybody use for inverters?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 04:48:33 AM »
The Outback system has one master and up to 9 slaves. Hooked together with a network hub and cat5 cable too.

I can hear a bit of noise with our Outback inverter in the Hunter ceiling fans. The cooling fans in the inverters cycle about once an hour with a 1 kw load on a 3.6 kw inverter.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 05:35:15 AM »

If you have access to utility power, I'd skip the batteries and put in a grid-tie inverter. Let the utility be your battery.

I`d prefer it that the utility become my Flying Leaper!   :D

I had been with a discount LD phone plan for almost 20 years and happy. Recently a large uncaring, stupid company named Primus took over my smaller provider.  Service got more expensive.  I just gave Prime-Ass the big boot!  In effect told them to take a `Flying F`n Leap`.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:09:25 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

4x4_Welder

• What do you think I do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 06:34:02 AM »
When I do this, it will be off grid, or at the very least far enough out that power will be unreliable. 
My other option is to find property with a stream that I can run a sluice off of and a small hydroelectric setup.  This is my backup plan, I know how to build a system with commonly available parts, and a very large turbo, something off a 12cyl or larger diesel.
I love the smell of diesel smoke in the morning!

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
I have a 3000 watt Eliminator inverter from Canadian Tire. Works good, ~$530.  :)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

jzeeff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 10:41:15 PM »

One would think that for a few hundred dollars more, the electronics could be added to make this into a grid-tie inverter.     Someone needs to make a < $750 high output grid-tie inverter.

4x4_Welder

• What do you think I do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 11:48:39 PM »
Good idea, except-
Most likely, where I wind up it will cost me several thousand dollars to run power to the house, and at that it will still be unreliable.  If my options are crappy expensive power, or slightly less expensive reliable power, which do you think I will choose?  The engine will be run on WVO anyways, so it's not like it'll be sucking down fuel at $3.50+ a gallon.
I love the smell of diesel smoke in the morning!

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »
Good info there guys-
What about ganging inverters?  I know that some can sync to existing line frequency, but will they interfere with each other, or can one be set to "master"?

I only have the one (Trace 2436 I am pretty sure) and it has the feature where you put a special phone type cord between it and gang the common's together and the two hot's will provide 220 and each hot to common will be 110v.

Supposedly they recommend that you put all the 110v loads that you are more likely to have on - on one of the legs of the pair that way unless you are really needing 220v the second inverter will stay in sleep mode and use hardly any power at all.

I use my inverter as a rather large UPS, the last time we lost power for a day I ran my computer stuff on it as well as the tropical fish tank to keep them alive and a fluourescent light as well so we didn't stumble around in the dark.

RC