Author Topic: WVO Preheater  (Read 4375 times)

WWIProps

• View Profile
WVO Preheater
« on: February 20, 2006, 04:27:25 PM »
Has anyone tried making a fuel preheater out of the cavity that the fuel filter cover plate mounts to?  I was thinking of drilling 4 mounting holes in a solid piece of steel plate and adding fittings to run the WVO in the bottom corner and out the top opposite corner.  My external cylinder temp runs around 180Deg F so it should be more than a sufficient amount of heat to do the job as long as the oil has enough time in the heat exchanger.  Thoughts?

kyradawg

Re: WVO Preheater
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 04:49:24 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:21:42 PM by kyradawg »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »
It seems a great space at the right temperature and easy enough to clean....just be sure to CLEAN it well first.  I got on ounce of casting sand out of that space with a needle scaler.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

quinnf

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:08:33 PM »
The fuel flow of a 6/1 at 1/3 gallon/hour is 21 mL/minute, so once the fuel leaves the heater it's going to have some time to cool while it travels to and through the injection pump, then to the injector where it will be heated again by heat conducted from the cylinder head.  Once the oil is warm, drawing through the fuel filter and injection pump should be easy.  Even if the fuel cools in the high pressure line to the injector, it has enough presssure behind it to flow well.  Obviously, insulating that line is a good idea.  Running a hot water line against the high pressure line would insure that you maintain high fuel temperature at the injector, but that involves a water pump.

Quinn

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »

I have calculated the piston position in the bore relative to crankshaft degrees does anyone know how to use this info to calculate cylinder temperatures?

Peace&Love :D, Darren

you can't, not to any useful accuracy, too many variables.

pyrometers can measure it directly, apart from that you can deduce it from exhaust gas analysis, exhaust gas temps, lube oil temps, work done at the crankshaft and so on, the deuctive method only works at given rpms and loads, the pyrometer method works accross the board.

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »
Has anyone tried making a fuel preheater out of the cavity that the fuel filter cover plate mounts to?  I was thinking of drilling 4 mounting holes in a solid piece of steel plate and adding fittings to run the WVO in the bottom corner and out the top opposite corner.  My external cylinder temp runs around 180Deg F so it should be more than a sufficient amount of heat to do the job as long as the oil has enough time in the heat exchanger.  Thoughts?

Neat idea, WWI props.  With some insulation on the lines to and from the IP is should be a sweet setup.