Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa 170B vs 175  (Read 4348 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Changfa 170B vs 175
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:26:26 AM »
 Hello,
  Forgive me for making my first post a newbie type dumb question..
  I've been gleaning information from this site for quite awhile, it's a great place with a wealth of information.  My wife has consented to allow me to get Changfa for Christmas. (no luck with the Listeroid hints)
 As far as longevity and durability, any opinions as to whether I should get the 170B or 175 hopper cooled engine. The 175 seems to be a much larger engine. I would like to run @ around 1800-200rpm so the power on either would be somewhat less than the rated output.
 Thanks for all the great info and projects you all have shared here!!
                                                                  Bill

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Changfa 170B vs 175
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »
IMO, I would get the larger displacement of these two engines.  I have a JD175A and it is as small an engine I would consider practical for any generator project.  I am not familiar with the Changfa 170B but in general it is my info that the smallest of these engines that feature an actual lube oil pump is the 175 model.  That one is my strong recommendation.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »
Hello
 Thanks for the reply.
  I have followed your low speed project with the 175 and found it very enlightening (no pun intended). I was inclined to go with the 175 but the difference in cost was a factor. The lube pump is a big plus, I wasn't aware the 170 lacked one. 
   My beloved wife sometimes questions the need for my "toys".    When I bought my old diesel tractor I drove it home before she even knew that I had bought it. I probably should have done the same with a listeroid when they were readily available..
                                                            regards
                                                                       Bill

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 10:54:45 PM »
Unless space is limted, I would get a 180 or 185. The cost is not much more than a 175. You will get an engine running at a slower speed and a counter balancing shaft. I have 170, 175 and 185 in stock. I can try to accomodate your budget.
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA