Puppeteer

Author Topic: Chopping up my Listeroid!!  (Read 14891 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Chopping up my Listeroid!!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
I recall the only thing that the engine came with was some parts lists written in Indian.

That in likely the reprint of the English 'operator's manual' that came with the original Lister engines.  There is a certain amount of Listeriodism not given to written instructions, but the basics are in the book and many of the details on the CD.

If you have tapered roller bearings you don't need an oil pump but you do need a dipper.  A simple catch screen with a washcloth under it is a 'filter'.  If it doesn't have an oil drain hole (some didn't) either make one or dip, siphon, pump, or sop out the old oil.

By the nature of the beast it is NOT entirely correct as a long lasting engine.  George's CD and numerous other references tell what to look for and how to correct them.

The average Listeroid maker is probably better suited to digging ditches but he'd probably get confused between deep and wide.....It is important to know the difference between 'normal' and 'mistake' on a Lister.  There are plenty of examples of each in a 'normal' engine (bought out of the back of a nearly smugglin'  truck.)   ;D
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
The average Listeroid maker is probably better suited to digging ditches but he'd probably get confused between deep and wide.....
Don't forget in the wrong place!  ;D
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 01:45:13 AM »
I'm with BioBill.  Fire up that chain saw and go to work from the bottom side up.  You might even consider setting up a "Pit" to work on the belly of machinery in the garage.

I built a couple of garages on these steep hill-side lots we got cause they was cheeeeeaap.  We put workshops down stairs but the access was via doors on the downhill side.  We double blocked the floor and put 2” of special concrete down to tie everything together.  I still recommended against slamming on the brakes when parking large cars in them.

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 05:03:38 AM »
Don't worry Casey...no one will be able to afford to keep a large vehicle in fuel for much longer.
stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »
Depressions are mostly for the poor and working class.  My dad sold Lincolns during the big one back in the 30's.  Their sales went down some 15% while Ford dealerships were a dime a dozen - sound familiar?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
They still had cheap oil back then  :o
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Sage Advice
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
As always, gentlemen, thanks for your posts and comments!

I do have George's CD, and  have for years.  I believe I have read through most or all of it, but I have certain pockets of stupidity that prevent me from actually figuring out the basic care and feeding sections are among all the massive amounts of details that I also find interesting.  I thought perhaps if there were some threads on the forum of the reader's digest, condensed operators manual, it would be helpful to get the facts in one, small place.

As for the original manual, I bought this engine in 2005 from the back of a guy's truck.  I don't think there were more than two guys in the states back in 2005 that sold these - none of them being actual "dealers"  If I recall, we practiaclly had to smuggle these engines in to the states. 

I don't believe I ever had an operator's or service manual that explained anything.  in fact, I was surprised that I was never shipped instructions on even how to start the engine.  I recall the only thing that the engine came with was some parts lists written in Indian.

Maybe this is why I am feeling so dumb. (or not)

Jens, Thanks for the reference to the photo.  This is exactly what I thought, but I am glad to confirm it.  Part of my confusion is that the top of this pump, there is a bolt that I thought would be the place to mount an oil pressure gauge.  When I do, it does not show any pressure at all :(

So, does anyone know where I can get a PDF of the Operators and Service manuals for a 12/2?

Thanks, oh, wise men.

SA

Hi Steve, if you go to George's web site you should be able to find the "Engrish to English " translaton of the original Indian manual.
If I remember correctly it is listed on the home page.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid