Author Topic: 5HP Mini Petter  (Read 5215 times)

scotty2611

• Scotty
    • View Profile
    • Historic Engine
5HP Mini Petter
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »
Well 2 of these turned up for stock and I thought what the hell ,Lets strip one down, Nice and clean, To a point, I removed some casting marks in the block and Ported the head, Now getting better flow and a cleaner burn with the fuel, Its amazing what 5cc out of a head will do, I got it running on diesel, And thought lets play some more, It runs great Veggie oil, and I used a 5w30 oil in the crank, and its running smother and really quiet, I will and more tomorrow, when i strip it again, and play some more

Scotty
www.historicengine.com.au
Historic Engine & Tractor Spares
Tasmania Australia
Australian Home Of The Listeroid
scotty1@bigpond.net.au

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: 5HP Mini Petter
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
There is a section specificaly for those who want to sell engines.

Don't remove the intake deflector when you port the heads.

So what did you order?
General purpose engines or with the heavy fly wheels and A2 goveners?

You should strip the cam and look for grinding grit and push pull the front main bearing carrier and look for grit in oil passages. Wash out the front and rear carriers well grit may be in there. Try Jack's razor blade trick to remove any sand, grit from the front and rear bearings and big end and don't forget to check and scrape the end thrust washers ( crank float is .003 .005 not in the manuals )

Run a brush threw the oil gallery under the IP cover and check for scale and dirt in the oil line feeding the rocker arm shaft. The banjo fittings are brazed and you could wash some flux into the oil from it.

Did you order extra oil filters, no one in Canada has been able ( or willing might be better ) to match the stock Indian oil filters for a Donaldson or quality filter do you have any numbers on that?

Even the tiniest amount of grit in the oiling system will get into the bearings.......
I think most of this damage cam from a dirty cam and dirt that wasn't easily wiped from the oil galleries aftyer machgining.
Found other sand but I realy had to grind and do a chemical strip to get it too move.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4482325

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4482333
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4684719
Notice the roughness of the casting at the very bottom of the cam cover oil return. This is two small pockets of sand and flash. See the green rough spot the stripper wouldn't remove, this is a pokcet of sand and flash. This is the sort of thing your looking for if you don;t touch it it may never move, but to remove it you need chemicals and a dye grinder
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:31:55 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:48:09 AM »
So anymore information on your Petteroids yet?

How about some pictures?

I would like to see what you have got there....

scotty2611

• Scotty
    • View Profile
    • Historic Engine
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »
well the engines I fixed up are all gone,
I have one engine left, any one in australia want it

Its a 5hp mini petter,

Great little engines
Historic Engine & Tractor Spares
Tasmania Australia
Australian Home Of The Listeroid
scotty1@bigpond.net.au

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »
No thank you I have one of my own and its a bit tricky to import....

What brand are you selling and any signs of trouble with sand, goveners, machining ect?

Could you post some pictures of the engines you stripped and they test rig you built?

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:52:23 PM »
Please more info:

What brand are the Petteroids you import and can you post some pictures.

There is very little info posted on these engines and I'd like to see what the castings look like and how yours may differ from the ones we have already seen.

Quote:
"Lets strip one down, Nice and clean, To a point, I removed some casting marks in the block and Ported the head, Now getting better flow and a cleaner burn with the fuel, Its amazing what 5cc out of a head will do"

I know myself and others would realy like to see what you did and what you mean by this and what you did.