Author Topic: Batteries, what type are we using out there?  (Read 22496 times)

clytle374

• View Profile
Re: Batteries, what type are we using out there?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 06:02:22 AM »
I've been looking for antique glass battery jars, Playing in lead and sulfuric acid just sounds soo cool.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »
I've been looking for antique glass battery jars, Playing in lead and sulfuric acid just sounds soo cool.

I know what you mean. When I was a kid I used to like to play with stuff that went bang. I hardly miss the fingers and eye any more.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
Just for us youngsters who haven't learned any better, I found this PDF of a old(1922) battery book.  It is mostly for automotive but has a chapter on farm batteries. 
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~weza/DownLoadFiles/battery_1922_WITTE.zip  (8.4MB)

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 09:08:54 PM »
I have assembled a 48 volt bank consisting of 12 strings of four per string, 12 volt, 105 AH sealed AGM batteries.
Parallel strings of batteries? Shudder. NOT a good idea!!
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

Stan

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 12:52:37 AM »
I"m trying an experiment with my CD technology cells.  I have 2 banks, one is a 240 amp hr bank and the other is a 170 amp hr bank.  I had been keeping them separated, (charging them separately and discharging them for different purposes separately).  I have discussed this at length with our quite active and knowledgeable ham radio club (the second oldest in Canada) and they all agreed it would be ok to try this.  I have hooked them together in parallel!   :o

I'll be charging them and using them together for a couple of months and then separate them and subject them to testing.  (charging and discharging time/V)

I'll let you all know after Christmas how they work our. 

Conventional wisdom says you shouldn't do this, we'll see.
stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 02:30:09 AM »
I have assembled a 48 volt bank consisting of 12 strings of four per string, 12 volt, 105 AH sealed AGM batteries.

Parallel strings of batteries? Shudder. NOT a good idea!!

Correct, disaster waiting to happen if you do not do it the safe correct way!  Correct way and my way is to install overcurrent breaker devices in series between each string and the main bussbar.  If one string has a battery problem that makes it draw excessive current from the rest of the battery bank it gets open circuited and isolated from the group.  In my case the breaker size offers a LOT of protection since it is much less than the C (safe discharge  rating of the battery being protected).

edit to correct dyslexic typos  >:(
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:19:01 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 03:29:30 PM »
I have two inverters with two DC input each. I have 4 - 1,000 amp 12 volt batteries, each one connected to a 250 amp breaker.

If one of my batteries fail I just shut down the breaker and the inverter would still operate at full power but the battery that is now pulling the entire inverter would be working harder and have faster cycling rates.

It works perfect and efficient.

Diesel Guy

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »
I have two inverters with two DC input each. I have 4 - 1,000 amp 12 volt batteries, each one connected to a 250 amp breaker.

If one of my batteries fail I just shut down the breaker and the inverter would still operate at full power but the battery that is now pulling the entire inverter would be working harder and have faster cycling rates.

It works perfect and efficient.

Diesel Guy
Are the outputs separate or are they synchronized somehow?

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 07:38:30 PM »
That's a great question, we use a copper plate drilled out to connect both inputs at the inverter.

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 07:43:02 PM »
That's a great question, we use a copper plate drilled out to connect both inputs at the inverter.
Yes, but not a good idea on the output, or are you feeding 2 separate circuits?

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 05:27:24 PM »
clytle374,

I am running 2 - 120 volt circuits, I could of connected them together for 240 volts but if one inverter goes down, The whole system don't function. I could of got away with just one unit to carry the loads but I would rather use two units working at their lower end of their full capability, for durability and reliability. If I have a failure, I can still use one unit while I connect other modified sine wave inverters I have for backup.

Diesel Guy

LMWatBullRun

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 01:22:59 AM »
I've got 2 strings of 8 L-16 HCs.  840 AH at 48 volts  or around 20KWh of capacity at 50% DOD.

I like 'em- can run essential loads plus misc tools for 4 days without going below 48.8 volts.

Does take a while to charge them, though.  They seem to have a low self-discharge rate,
and hold charge well.
Lister electric start; 20-2 listeroid; yanmar ts-50C; 82 volvo diesel; 90 dodge-cummins TD; case 580.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 02:08:25 AM »
I've got 2 strings of 8 L-16 HCs.  840 AH at 48 volts  or around 20KWh of capacity at 50% DOD.

I like 'em- can run essential loads plus misc tools for 4 days without going below 48.8 volts.

Does take a while to charge them, though.  They seem to have a low self-discharge rate,
and hold charge well.

That`s a lot of capacity!  Get solar panels, a wind turbine and with your diesel generator you are all set.  What do you use as a charge controller for the 48 volt plant?  Do you start with 120 volt AC from the genset?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 04:19:46 AM »
I just powered up my solar installation today! It works!!! Moving those 866 lb 1055 AH 12VDC batteries around was easy with the cherry picker. The first thing I had to do was do an equalizing charge to see how the Lister handled it. The system drug it down until it was belching black smoke and held it right there. I've now dialed the inverters down to only draw 15 A each. We'll see how it handles that.

After reading to some of the horror stories on this board I was very very careful handling tools around the batteries I even made a insulating separator between them out of some corrugated polyethylene sheeting I had. With the arrangement I had the + & - poles are only about 3" away from each other which made me very nervous. I have the batteries wired in series for 48 VDC.

The nice fellow at the warehouse did not want to take them off the pallet so I carried all 4 in the back of my 3/4 ton pickup. That is about 3500 lbs, it did sit a little low, but I still had about 2.5" until it was on the bottom out bumpers. Good thing it is an IH  ;D
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 07:47:05 PM »
Tom,

Sounds like your all setup, good luck with it. Make sure you have a proper ground on those inverters. If not, one lighting strike and there toast.

Diesel Guy