Puppeteer

Author Topic: Piston question, and other mysteries  (Read 12148 times)

ListerA28

• View Profile
Piston question, and other mysteries
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:03:26 PM »
Hello everybody,

My name is Jan, I'm from Holland and a newbee when it comes to Lister engines.
I know this is a CS forum, and I have some Lister A related questions, but maybe someone can help me solve some "mysteries" offline or online.
These questions may sound silly, but before I start tearing things apart, it would be nice if I could get them back together again  :)
Ok, here they come (with the risk of being banned  ::)
It's a Lister A 28 build in 1942

How do I remove the piston, through the cranck door?
I'm afraid when taking the hopper of, I'll be having difficulty putting the hopper back on again and close the piston rings at the same time.

Where is the carburettor "start" position, and where the "normal" position?, I found those (I guess), but I want to make a new carburettor wheel as mine is badly corroded.
A picture maybe would be very helpfull

The flywheel keys have no notch, but a hole where the notch is supposed to be, I this a Lister thing, or something from a previous restoration?
I plan to make a ring on a lathe, with a pin penetrating the hole and try to get the key out this way.

One of (or both maybe) flywheels has some unbalance, the engine already chased me halfway through the garden as I tried to start it according to the Lister booklet.
(airintake half closed)
It scared the hell out of me, happily the wife wasn't home or else she would urge me to collect stamps instead   >:( :D
I read on this forum it is possible to balance them (partly?) yourself, with the "chalk" method?
How is this done?
It is my intention to run a generator. at the moment it just wiggles a bit, but at more revs its frightning.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rTmx0xxaQ

If anyone could give me a hint, even if my questions are not CS related, it would be much appreciated.
Maybe it helps if a say: "My next will be a CS!"
(I already brought this up, but I have to ditch one of the other engines and hypnotically convince my wife  :)  )

Many thanks in advance,

br,  Jan

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 08:06:22 PM by ListerA28 »
br, Jan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Piston question, and other mysteries
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:50:02 PM »
We have people here familiar with the Lister A, one will step forward be patient
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

ListerA28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:15:51 AM »
hey Doug,

One thing I learned so far with old engines is indeed patience, it seems to be one of the best tools!  :)

br.  Jan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 08:29:22 AM by ListerA28 »
br, Jan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »
So your in Holland, I'm in Canada, we have had a fellow from Africa, an Iranian, and Iraqi, some fellows from Auz lots of Yanks. All we need are a few Russians, and chinese fellows and I think we will have spanned the globe

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 05:57:18 PM »
Don't forget us Brits.  Aftr all that is where it all started! - the CS bit.

Regards, RAB

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »
I sort of grouped you in with the rest of Western Eroupe.

Pretend your one of the low countries, all the better if you speak Welsh ( the Yanks won't question it lol )

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:04:17 AM »
Hi You can find a manual here. They would like a donation, It is worth it.
You may find someone with helpful advice too.
Good luck
Dennis

http://www.internalfire.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=MostPopular
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:48:14 PM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

ListerA28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
Good luck
Dennis

Dennis, you might want to post the actual link too :)

Jens

that would be nice, yes  ;)
I already have a manual in English and one in Dutch, they differ somewhat in contence.
In both is spoken about "cleaning carbon deposits of the piston an valves" etc, but not how to remove the hopper and but it back again.
But the engine is built for easy maintenance I guess, maybe I shouldn't be to shy and just start "screwing around"  ;D ;)

br  Jan
br, Jan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
Jan--

Surely you're as smart as any Englishman is likely to be.   ;D 

Grab a wrench and go by the gunsmith's creed:  UNDERSTAND WHY the part is shaped and positioned and attached as it is, and what it's purpose is BEFORE it's removed.   Then re-assembly is easy to remember. 

There is no 'art' in mechanics except simplicty of design.  If there's a knob, or notch, or unknown gizzy, it DOES have a purpose.  Figure out what it is as you go and when all the parts are in a pile there is no mystery about them to worry about.

One thing to remember with old engines:  Sometimes paper gaskets are actually spacers that sets piston clearances.  The originals  are likely to be 'right', while the Indians seem to think it's just a handy place to put excess gaskets.   :o
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
Jan is probably referring to the Lister 'A' petrol engine, Spec A28 which was probably the hopper-cooled version, in which there is no head as such, the barrel and head are all in one casting.

In that case the whole barrel and head assy lift off the crabkcase leaving the piston and rod behind.

Same with the tank-cooled version, there is no head as such, the block and head are one piece.

Peter

ListerA28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »
Jan is probably referring to the Lister 'A' petrol engine, Spec A28 which was probably the hopper-cooled version, in which there is no head as such, the barrel and head are all in one casting.

In that case the whole barrel and head assy lift off the crabkcase leaving the piston and rod behind.

Same with the tank-cooled version, there is no head as such, the block and head are one piece.

Peter

hey Peter,

That's exactly what I mean, sorry for being not very clear, and it's indeed a Lister A petrol engine.
There's no worry lifting the head/hopper of, but puting it back again gives me some concern.
As the hopper being quite heavy, retaining the piston rings, and sliding the head back on/over the piston at the same time, is what gives me some worries.

Jan
br, Jan

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Fit piston into cylinder and carefully replace cylinder over crankcase and replace big end cap?

Regards, RAB

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:18:05 PM »
Fit piston into cylinder and carefully replace cylinder over crankcase and replace big end cap?

Regards, RAB

In case you are not an experience engine rebuilder make sure you put rubber tubing segments over the lower rod bolts, or loosly wrap and tape heavy paper around the crank journal where the rod bearing runs to protect it from being dinged up by the con rod during insertion.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

ListerA28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »
seems like a good idea, fit the piston first, then lower the whole assy. (why didn't I think of that?  ;)   )
indeed, I'm not an experienced engine rebuilder, the only other engine I have is a wolseley wd9, a nice engine to start with.
a cs is still on my list, we don't have frequent power black outs yet, but more frequent as in the time our electricity was in government hands
(and it's a nice toy to play with  ;D ;)  )
but first finish te Lister A, then I'll be back bugging everybody about a cs... :P

thanks everybody so far for the advice,

br  jan
br, Jan

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:34 PM »
Good luck
Dennis

http://www.internalfire.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=MostPopular

Sorry about that
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time