Author Topic: Lister-type fuel filters  (Read 12482 times)

rpg52

• View Profile
Lister-type fuel filters
« on: October 26, 2007, 09:19:16 PM »
Went to crank up my PS/JKSON listeroid after setting for a month+. (Not more than 50 hrs. on it.)  Wouldn't start, only pop a few times then die.  Injector would still "ping", but eventually that stopped.  Not getting fuel, was advised that it may have gotten water condensing in tank, plugging the fuel filter.  I hadn't had occasion to open the filter, since the engine had run reliably since I first bled out the air.  I assumed that the fuel filter "canister" held a typical canister type filter.  Opened it up for the first time and found it contained the original "Lister" type coiled cotton tube.  It looked fine, couldn't see any water. 

Not having any experience with this type of filter, what has been others experience with them?  They seem like they would be unlikely to clog for a very long time - now I'm thinking the engine may have just lost it's prime with setting, and now just need to bleed the system again.  Comments, opinions anyone?

Thanks  ;)
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
Re: Lister-type fuel filters
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 10:44:40 PM »
Please be advised that if your engine has the braided steel fuel lines there have been many cases where the fuel we use here in the US causes the rubber to swell and choke off the fuel. It generally takes from 1-3 months for this to happen. If yours has the braided lines just grind off the ferules and pull the line off of the fitting. It will have a hose barb made into the fitting. Replace the line with good American made fuel line and you'll have no further problems with this.

Mike

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that.  I do have braided lines, but just checked and they seem fine.  When I first started draining the filter, it drained almost a quart before I realized I had forgotten to shut off the valve on the bottom of the tank, so that line is ok.  Just took off the line between the filter and the pump and blew through it - all clear.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 11:44:24 PM »
replace the fuel line.. do it now or later but you will have to replace the braided fuel line.you can blow thru a straw that is almost stopped up but you can not get fuel thru it. also you will eleminate a problem that will occur and it only cost a couple of dollars//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:47:45 AM »
A trip to a Duetz dealer or Bosch fuel injection shop and you will find all the hoses and banjo fittings you will ever need. A trip to the local hydraulics shop will set you up with any combination of BSP to what ever you need for fittings.

DOug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:32:12 AM »
the good thing is you do not have to replace the banjo fittings//reuse them after you grind off the braided line/ just press a fuel line on the old banjo fitting. with the right size you do not even need a clamp.. solves a lot of problems//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:41:05 AM »
OK, you convinced me to replace the lines, but I'm still not convinced that the lines are limiting the fuel and causing the starting problems.  Too late today, I'll change them tomorrow and report back.
Ray

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 02:38:03 AM »
may not fix your problem now but will prevent one in the future/sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 11:59:23 AM »
The braided line from the tank to the filter on my Metro looks just like it came from Hone Depot's plumbing dept., it looks like a supply hose for a sink or toilet and it looks like origional equipment.  And that might be why it leaks!  The diesel fuel seems to have softened/disolved the rubber a little.  Will regular auto supply replacement "fuel" line resist diesel fuel?  The stuff sold at my local store is called fuel line as opposed to gas line so I assume that's because it will work for either gasoline or diesel.  It does seem to harden up after just a year or two under the hood of my gas vehicles though, it seems like a lot of things aren't as good quality as they used to be.  I feel lucky to get a full year out of name brand wiper blades nowdays.      Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »
And....if you are wondering why our diesel fuel causes this, I suspect it is the bio diesel the refineries are blending in it.  It's not just these engine lines it's effecting.  There are thousands of accounts of lines and other flexible parts like seals that are in contact with the new diesel fuel, and have gone south.  I'm surprised the class action lawyers haven't checked this out yet.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 03:26:27 PM »
Ray--

Don't trust the fuel filter or any of the soft lines from India...they will give trouble sooner or later.  As the rubber tubes soften, parts and pieces of it flow downstream....

Back to the original problem-- The squeaks from the injector could have been condensation.   Start back at the filter and get all the air out of the line....when you get to the last fitting....where it goes into the injector, crank until you see *clear* fuel spurting from the end of the high pressure line.  While still cranking and spurting, connect the fitting and tighten.  You should hear the 'squeek' on the first revolution or two.  If not, you have a bad injector.  Remove and check it out.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »
I had a crack in the bolt of my IP banjo/bolt which allowed air into the system and thus required re-bleading after it sat for too long - but it also had a telltale weeping of fuel (very slow). 

I switched to urethane tubing from USplastics for all my fuel lines, when I started using B99 biodiesel.  It's affordable and it's nice to be able to see any air, water or crud in the fuel line. 

Best Wishes,
Bruce M
Snowflake, AZ
Metro 6/1 w/ST-3 and Eaton Compressor

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:24 PM »
OK, so i've replaced the fuel lines, managed to scar up the banjo fitting mating surface in the process, going to try to polish it out but only time will tell.  Going back to the original question(s):

1.  Is the original "Lister"-type cotton tube fuel filter any good?  Or, should I try to replace it too with a more modern filter?

2.  If there haven't been any noticable fuel leaks, how commonly does the fuel system lose it's prime, just setting around?

The challenge with all of this is trying to keep every thing clean, while working outside without even a roof over the engine.  Trying to keep smiling.   ;D
Ray

Stan

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 11:25:36 PM »
Somewhere on the site is a complete explanation of my fuel filter replacement solution.  I wanted to keep the look of the original filter, but getting the cotton snake from England was expensive.  I found (with Peter's help) that the Fram C11860PL) is really an english repackaged filter that "almost" fits the housing. 

Here's what you do.  Take the fitting off the top of the cotton snake, leaving the brass plug in the top of the housing.  Take the rubber gasket (looks like a common sprinkler hose gasket) off the bottom and glue a piece of wooden dowel 7/8" dia X 5/16 " long on to the bottom with any good glue that will take fuel immersion.  I used SealAll tm.   which is both gas and oil resistant (smells like old fashioned model airplane glue  ::)  .  Leave the rubber gasket on the top of the filter as it will push on to the top brass plug and seal the joint.  When the SealAll is dry, (I painted the wooden plug with the SealAll to seal it) position the wooden plug on the bottom plug of the filter housing and put the top of the housing on, tightening it will suck up the filter and press it firmly onto the top brass plug.

This is for an original Lister filter housing, you may have to adjust the length of the wooden plug if yours is different.

When it comes time to replace the filter, you just pry off the bottom rubber gasket and the wooden plug, and put it on the new filter and reinstall.

Stan

I knew I had the pic somewhere duh, it's on coppermine.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:47:33 AM by Stan »

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 01:02:54 AM »
on my fuel filter I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the housing and put a radiator drain plug// just loosen and drain the bottom of the filter// saves taking it apart// also put an inline filter in hose from tank to the main filter// I used a clear one so you can see if you need to add fuel to the tank.. sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc