Alternative fuels > Waste Motor Oil

inspection results after a long test using WMO.

(1/7) > >>

sanchez:
Hi,

I PERFORMED A TEST USING WASTE MOTOR OIL, THINNED WITH 40% KEROSENE AND FILTERED TO 2 MICRONS. AFTER 500 RUNNING HOURS WE DISASSEMBLED THE ENGINE, THE RESULTS WAS:

1) PISTON TOP WITH A CROASE CARBON DEPOSIT, JUST THE NECESSARY TO TOUCH THE CYLINDER HEAD.
2) PISTON GROOVES CORBONIZED.
3) EXAUST VALVE VERY CARBONIZED.
4) SOME MINOR CYLINDER LINER SCRATCH.

TALKING ABOUT THE ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND FUEL EFICIENCY, WHEN USE DIESEL THE EFICIENCY (WITH A RESISTIVE LOAD OF 80%) IS 12.5 KW-H PER GALLON, WITH THE WASTE ENGINE OIL BLEND ITS DECREASE TO 9.5 KW-H/GAL.

I PERSONALLY, DO NOT RECOMEND THE USAGE OF WASTE ENDINE OIL AS FUEL, IS CHEAP, BUT THE INTERNAL ENGINE CONTAMINATION DO NOT PAY FOR THE COST/PROFIT RATIO.

JMW:
That's interesting testing.

Can you tell us more about the temperatures in and around the engine while you were using this fuel.
Did you add any additional heating?
Did you start from cold on this fuel?
How is your cooling system configured?
What are your climate conditions?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to work out if this fuel is usable, if used slightly differently.

Mark

rcavictim:
Sanchez,

That more or less tracks my own experimental findings only I was using used oil that was mainly ATF with some used motor oil added for color.  Not by me.   :D   My discovery was that my VW engine injectors (my stationary genset) would coke badly despite filtering through long time settling, then 10 micron then a 2 micron caterpillar filter.  In my case the engine would get sick in less than an hour.  Increasing the content of clean diesel as an adtive did not eliminate the fouling but rather it allowed longer run time by exactly the same amount as the mix ratio had changed towards clean diesel.  Vacuum distillation would work but is a lot of trouble and expense.  Short of that a centrifugal system may be of benefit.  I have not explored this yet due to the difficulty and time in making a centrifuge.  I am in the process of making a very long (6 inch diameter x 8 foot long PVC pipe) kitty litter/fuller`s earth filter that ought to be way more effective than the 2 micron cat filter.  Too many irons on the fire and this project has been slow in getting finished.

I will of course share my design and findings with the list once done.

rcavictim:

--- Quote from: jens on October 23, 2007, 12:37:07 AM ---It's funny how some people will say that used oil is nothing but trouble and other people have reported no issues at all. We all agree that you have to heat the motor oil up in order for this to work but why do some people have all kinds of issues and others are happy campers ....

Jens

--- End quote ---

I guess some people just don`t like camping.   :D

rcavictim:

--- Quote from: jens on October 23, 2007, 01:17:51 AM --- Moteling is just way too easy ....

Jens

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but just don`t get caught with pirated moteling software!   ;D  Yah know, like towels and stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version