Author Topic: Books on Alternators  (Read 640 times)

threeReefs

• View Profile
Books on Alternators
« on: June 24, 2023, 04:46:49 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations on good books about Generators/Alternators?

I know the basics (did an elec eng degree a very long time ago) but I’m particularly trying to understand windings, compounding, power factors etc- as they apply to moderate-sized generators rather than huge industrial things.

Thanks!

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Books on Alternators
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 12:27:14 AM »
Welcome 3 Reefs
Is that 3 reefs as in sailing  in lots of wind or the undersea obstructions?
Some time ago, in the early listeroid days, George Breckenridge of Utterpower was selling a book called The Home Power Producer's Guide to Electrical Reality. If you know the basics, this is probably what you are looking for.
It was available on Amazon (Kindle version) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28814595-the-home-power-producer-s-guide-to-electrical-reality
I don't know if this is still available. I have a hard copy. If the Amazon version does not suit, PM me
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 04:45:21 AM »
That book appears to no longer be available on Amazon or anywhere else. I've wrote George a couple times in the past about the author but George hasn't replied. Had a member of this fourm look in his copy for the author's address with no avail. I think several of us here would be interested in a reprint if he ever decides to provide them in the future.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 10:56:59 PM »
Mobile bob on this forum has met Bill rodgers the author of that book a few times.. He was going to ask the him about releasing more copies. As I wanted that book about a year ago, and it is no longer on amazon kindle or anywhere else.. I never really persued it after that. Kinda of forgot about it until this post about it.

It must be on a pdf format somewhere if it was once for sale on Amazon..

But Mobile Bob would be the guy to ask..  Maybe send him a pm.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

threeReefs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 04:14:15 PM »
Just to close this thread, I contacted George Breckenridge via his utterPower website, and asked him about the book - he replied very quickly and in exchange for contribution towards website running costs, sent me a link to download a PDF of the book. It's excellent, exactly what I was looking for, well written and loads of technical information. So, thanks for the pointers, everyone.

And to Hugh, it's threeReefs as in heavy-weather sailing, which I used to do when I was somewhat fitter.

Richard