Puppeteer

Author Topic: JD175 China diesel running at 500 - 1000 RPM  (Read 61077 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
fuel tank done
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2007, 09:27:34 AM »

A repurposed discarded propane tank makes quite an attractive fuel tank as seen here now completely sandblasted and painted after modifications were done to suit the new task.  The cap is a 2 inch NPT pipe cap with about half the weight shaved off on the lathe.  It now looks a lot less like a plumbing fitting.  I drilled a very tiny hole in it for airflow.  Injector return fitting is at the top.  Oulet is on the bottom not seen.

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: JD175 China diesel running at 500 - 1000 RPM
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2007, 10:50:43 AM »
rcavictim,

Earlier, you wrote: Since diesel or thick oil used as fuel does not create explosive vapors one can use a regular nodular black iron pipe cap with a tiny hole drilled as a vent.

Can you be sure that at no time in the future any fuel you use will not be contaminated by a small amount of more volatile fuel (gas?).  If you can not be 100% sure, change to a brass cap (or plasic?).  That way, it is idiot proof - lots of people fill their vehicles with the wrong fuel and it can easily be passed to an unsuspecting user.  Not calling you the idiot but just the term for 'completely safe in any eventuality for any person'

A bit like transfer switches for electrical change-over from mains to generator - needs to be idiot proof.  100%. Not even just 99.9% or 99.99% - that odd probability (low as it may be) could occur at the next operation......

Be as safe as you can - that insurance inspector will (or should) spot it.  Hopefully, before there is a claim.

Regards, RAB

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
rcavictim,

Earlier, you wrote: Since diesel or thick oil used as fuel does not create explosive vapors one can use a regular nodular black iron pipe cap with a tiny hole drilled as a vent.

Can you be sure that at no time in the future any fuel you use will not be contaminated by a small amount of more volatile fuel (gas?).  If you can not be 100% sure, change to a brass cap (or plasic?).
Regards, RAB

RAB,

Your point is well taken and is cause for me to stop and think where else I have used iron pipe caps for fuel tanks as well.  Thank you for the observation.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »
Just somethig to consider when blending fuel with gasoline or other solvents.

Gas doesn't cause trouble in a car because it too rich to burn.
Diesel doesn't blow off enough vapour under most conditions to be a problem

Mixing gas and oils can create a combination that will inbetween that upper and lower ignition level.

I work in aplace where the average temperature is high enough that opening my fuel tank cap and I see a fine mist of fuel. refueling means being just as sure with diesel (if its realy hot) as gas that there are no sources of ignition.

Several years ago a well heated robotic scoop tram misjudged its location on the way to a an ore pass where I work. It did a swan dive down the ore pass and ripped open its fuel and hydraulic tanks and even though the fuel was diesel there was still enough mist and vapour created It was a perfect storm hot fuel spraying around, lots of air and plenty of sparks and hot sufarces as an ignition point.

Low level KA-BOOM, large fire.....

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2007, 02:23:37 AM »
for what its worth :)

i don't know what pipe nipple size you chose to use, but

i can't remember which it is, but mid size trucks and some heavy trucks use a brass cap that fits either a
1.5 or 2 inch pipe nipple,, iirc it is a 2"

the upside to useing one is they have lead plugs in them that allow for venting in case of a fire, they melt out
and keep things from really getting exciting

they also make vent units that screw into a 1/4 inch pipe thread hole, that are anti tip in that if the tank rolls over it won't leak
but in normal operation will vent and keep the internal pressure normalized,, they are pretty inexpensive

if you are going to use the iron cap, i would suggest drilling a couple of holes in it and then refilling the holes with lead as
a safety, or you could chamfer the holes on each side and hammer a piece of lead into them to provide sealing and also allow them to
blow out if there is a pressure buildup.

in any case if you have a violent explosion within the tank, no safety cap or vent is going to save you in my opinion :)

inspirational project though, looks good :)

folks like you, make me want to get off my dead ass and get to assembling!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2007, 02:43:30 AM »
Gee I'm so sorry to hear your ass died Bob.
But life must go one, get yourself a banjo and burry your ass before it starts to stink.

Very strange, I can't realy see you riding around on an ass unless it was a realy big one.....

So did you have a name for your ass?

Was it a nice friendly ass?

You know in hind sight I guess I realy could see you gently washing and brsushing your ass'es fur....

Reaching aroud to offer it a sugar cube now and then when you go take a ride.....

Oh well life goes on.

Jsut the same you have my condolences a nice ass is hard to find these days

Doug

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2007, 03:39:23 AM »
for what its worth :)

folks like you, make me want to get off my dead ass and get to assembling!

bob g

Bob sorry to hear about the death of your ass.... was it a good ass?  did it follow you around on your walks?  Are you  experiencing any separation anxiety?

I did this in all seriousness, I did not mean to be cheeky, or disrespectful :D 
In your state of separation, I hope things are not piling up
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2007, 04:26:11 AM »
You guys are goofy.  Don`t ass me how i know.

Bob,

I use 2 inch NPT nipple.  That is indeed the same size as the truck fuel tanks you spoke of and I do have two of those bronze screw on caps in that thread with the four leaded plug holes.  They are off the big gasoline tanks from my GMC 5-ton straight truck.  There`s one being used on the big tank on my Petter plant in my avatar but it is hiding on the other side.

Why are you guys all paranoid all of a sudden of diesel tank explosions.  That rarely happens outside of a movie set in Hollywood.  Remember the  White Freightliner black tow truck in Terminator-2?  Yeah right!   :D  That guy must have been running his diesel on 100-130 avgas.

Much more progress done in the past few days.  Must post more pics.

I ran it up to 750 watts output tonight at 1000 RPM on the kohler AC head with the muffler just installed.  It sounds good.  Quiet. The diesel knock is quite subdued. That`s gotta be approaching 3/4 power at 1000 RPM as I figure it.  It seems to find the groove at I`m guessing about 750- 800 RPM.  At 1000 it is really smooth and sounds happy. Practically no vibration at all.  I have it up on 5 inch bakelite castor wheels and if it wanted to shake, it would.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2007, 04:36:07 AM »
Don't make light of the situation Bob says his sitting on his dead ass.
I guess he needs some closer, can't let go right now.
I get the feeling he was very close to that ass.

I'm not paranoid about fuel oil. Infact I think its the safest fule you can buy

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2007, 05:50:05 AM »
OK, back on topic.  Here is what I have so far. Brand new wheels man!  Honda stainless steel muffler like new ( dump score).  Nice and quiet, little back pressure.  The big box frame will allow me to install lifting eyes, and a safety grille over the open belt pulleys and belts.  It`s dangerous at that end of the plant!  Can install flat sound absorber covers if I wish later on.  I still have room for a staring battery and anothe fuel tank.  The tiny factory tank on the JD175 is gonna go.

The water puddle on the floor is overflow from the cooling jacket during my brief test.  The radiator is not yet hooked up.  No point as everything has to come off for cleaning/ sandblasting/ prepping the frame and painting it very soon.

I`ve been trying to figure out what color I should paint the frame.  I am leaning towards forest green, same as on the engine and Kohler head currently.  All three belt pulleys same dark green. Radiator black of course.  What do you fellas think?  I don`t want to hear racing stripes.  :D  If a graphic artist makes me a cute logo with a turtle spinning a treadmill with a flame shooting out it`s ass, I`ll use that!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also need to name this machine.  I like the sound of the ULTOR-1000 Home Freedom Power ProcessorTM  My audio company marquee is UltorTM and 1000 is both the RPM and the watts out, conservatively.  I could call it the DREADNAUGHT 1000, or my long haired machinist friend Peter might appreciate it if I called it a TELEFUNKEN U47 in honor of Frank Zappa.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:15:17 AM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »
Guys just remember, the military uses DIESEL in its armoured vehicles because it does not explode and it is hard to ignite

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »
my only concern with a safety cap is not from explosive forces within, but
in the event of a fire within the building that houses the fuel tank
if there is no pressure relief you will get an explosion of hollywood proportions!

if you don't believe this, take a small metal can such as a quart with a twist on cap
fill it with diesel maybe half way, screw on the lid
put it in a 55 gallon drum loaded with wood scraps or other combustibles and set it afire

stand back and wait!

the heat will bulid up, start to boil the fuel, pressure up the can until it fails
and a rather violent explosion will occur sending a mushroom fireball skyward

now if the same experiment was run using a lead filled safety cap, the lead would fail venting off the pressure
and while there would be some scary flames, it would not explode.

if not for yourself, think of the poor fireman that has to deal with your little engine shed in the event of a fire.

while it is generally true that diesel is not explosive, there are circumstances where it can be very much so.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2007, 01:38:36 AM »
Guys just remember, the military uses DIESEL in its armoured vehicles because it does not explode and it is hard to ignite

I guess you didn't see the post before about Terminator 2 ...of COURSE diesel explodes. All you have to do is spill out cool diesel fuel onto concrete and MAN!! what an explosion. Yet you can grind a poor little S10 against a guard rail with an 18 wheeler at 55 mph and...nothing. Even with sparks-o-plenty. I guess the time wasn't right
 Ya gotta love Hollywood.

Diesel vapourized is VERY explosive (don't ask how I know), however I'd much rather a large tank of diesel in my garage than a small can of gas. If my garage is on fire, I don't want to be near it because of all the OTHER explosive stuff in it, like paint cans, 3 gallons of brake cleaner, flashlight batteries, etc.

rca

Nice assembly and construction. I envy you. I was looking at the pics and thinking, for $170 at Walmart, you can get a 1000w generator that you can carry. Yet given the chance, I'd soon do what you did than buy the Walmart throw-away. I have a 7hp Onan diesel on a metal frame I welded together that someday I'm going to mount a 1949 Faibanks-Morse 3kw head on, and the head alone is about the size of a 3kw generator complete. Why? Because the construction is enjoyable and the whole unit will be good for a LOT of ours, however NOT liftable by the handle. No one will wanna steal it, or could even if they wanted to.

How about : Scorpion 1000 GyroGen
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2007, 07:14:43 AM »
ZackaryMac,

Thanx for the compliments.  I am lucky to have a shop and tools to be able to do this kind of thing.  It was a long time gathering the bits and pieces needed. When my parts collection including the steel finally reached critical mass it was time to get busy and build it.

You should get to that Onan diesel and FM generator head project. You will feel good once it is done and working for you.

Scorpion 1000 GyroGen sounds like a fine name.  I`ll let you use it.  I have named mine already.  Ultor1000.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I have named mine already.  Ultor1000.

How pretentious  ...... mine is simply named "Thumper"
It's a simple machine from simple days - a geewhiz name just isn't right ..... IMHO

Jens

Simple time didn`t have racing stripes back then Jens.  Your criticizm is inconsistent but I`ll take it as a compliment.  When all they can complain about is the name it must be that all the important details have passed muster.   ;)

I`ve registered Ultor as a trademark for stuff I build. No point letting the decals go to waste.

Haven`t you heard?  What is old is now new!  :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:00:11 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1