Puppeteer

Author Topic: lovson 8/1 engines without oil pump.  (Read 3498 times)

sanchez

• View Profile
lovson 8/1 engines without oil pump.
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:16:04 AM »
hi people,

have anyone experience with the lovson engines 8/1, this engine comes without oil pump. I am testing the mine since more than 100 operating hours ago, recently I removed the inspection cap (the oil measuring stick side) and all looks to be ok, the crank case is clean and are not signals of wear.

my question is because many other models brands make emphasis in the (gun metal) oil pump, comments and experiences are appreciated. ???

hotater

• View Profile
Re: lovson 8/1 engines without oil pump.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:36:34 AM »
Sanchez---

If your engine has tapered roller bearings it needs no oil pump.

If the main bearings are clean, top and bottom, it should give good service.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:01:13 AM »
Hi I think the oil level in your engine may be more critical than engines with oil pumps.
The originals Listers had troughs that the dippers picked up oil from. The oil pumps kept the troughs full so the oil level was consistant as the engine used oil. This is one of the factors that kept the originals running for so many years.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:28:09 AM »
Exactly what Dkwflight said.  Without an oil pump you will need to keep the oil level high enough that the dipper continually has oil to pass thru and sling around the inside to provide all the lube to all the moveing parts.  The original lister manuals show the oil level down quite a ways in the drop sump.  The pump runoff from the main bearings kept the upper sump filled and any excess flows back to the lower sump so the dipper always has the proper ammount of oil.

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:56 AM »
Having a non pump and a pump 6/1 I have to agree with all said. Pumps have  the ability to fail or pump oil on the ground. Only on the higher HP singles have I seen a slinger that needs an oil pump to operate correctly. The TRB don't need it. But I would do a closer inspection. If you haven't .....yet with 100 hours I would be changing the oil and adding a magnet. If there is a problem most of the bad stuff will be at the bottom of the black oil. The next oil change the magnet will tell you for sure.
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

sanchez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
hi guys,

all your answer are reasonable and logically correct, the oil lever as well said, must be a critical check point in this kind of engine. thanks for take time to reply.

Ing. Sanchez.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 08:06:06 PM »
Sanchez,
I would suggest that you take Hotater's good and understated advice on checking your UPPER crank bearing shell for wear about this time.  This is where you will see dirt and sand wear, before more serious damage is done elsewhere.

If you do have sand damage there, inquire again as to where to hunt for the sand-  there's a common list of places to look.  Like under the piston behind the wrist pin (must be disassembled to check), and in the governor end caps.  I don't remember all the other spots, but others would help.  In my engine it was up inside the piston, not visible without disassembly.  The engine parts are not always cleaned of casting sand before assembly.

The lower bearing shell will typically not show sand/dirt damage even when the upper is scratched up badly.  Hotater taught me this and he was right on the mark.

Best Wishes,
Bruce M