Author Topic: r195 changfa lowest speed  (Read 15036 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: r195 changfa lowest speed
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:09:24 AM »
You mean I'm the only one that sees the other post  ::)

Sort of posting in the direction of the previous posts. Sorry if this causes confusion.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rosietheriviter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »
You mean I'm the only one that sees the other post  ::)
Sort of posting in the direction of the previous posts. Sorry if this causes confusion.
Doug

Ya mean a one-sided conversation?

Rosie
Any resembalance to any correct spelling, punctuation,or grammar is purely coincidental!

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country, for an amount of "up to and including my life."

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
Quote `No, looked at that can't find a way to bush it, hole is too big to fit a standard SK bushing....

The ones I looked at were not ballanced.

Doug`

Hi Doug, I`ve had another read through the entire thread and I conclude from this I am suspecting you were referring to the railway wheel?  I`m sorry.  The post itself was unclear and I actually thought you were referring to the bailer flywheel not being suitable for an SK bushing.  My apologies for not being able to read your mind.   ;)   

As far as your suggestion to find a large section of flat plate and have a wheel cut out that would make a very strong flywheel that could be run faster than the 60 MPH rim speed rule for cast iron wheels (different rule for stronger steel) but unfortunately a uniformly flat flywheel has no concentration of its mass in the outer regions, thus making it physically heavier than need be for any given flywheel effect.

I think it would be possible to flame cut a pair of thick cross sectional (thick in the radial direction)  rings from the same heavy plate and weld them to the periphery of the center plate wheel.  This could then be turned on a lathe to clean and true it up prior to balancing.  As long as the added doghnuts had not been cut through at any point and therefore retained their virginal continuity they should not pose any increased threat of explosion in the finished wheel.  This would be a means of adding extra mass to the periphery of the resulting flywheel.

Another method, safer but much more costly to fabricate and wasteful of material woulf be to start with a 3-4 inch thick sheet of steel plate and turn it, hogging material out of the center region to form a enlarged outer ring.  I think just the time on a lathe large enough to turn such a beast wiould cost more than buying a new cast and machined commerical offered flywheel product.

Having said all this, if one merely wants to add a DIY flywheel mass to the shaft of their generator/alternator head to provide some smoothing and storage effect at 1800 RPM, flame cutting a solid wheel from 1 to 2 inch thick mild steel plate and then turning it true on a lathe is probably a very practical suggestion and if was sized by the generously conservative 60 MPH rule would be about as safe as one can get.  I can even see hogging a DIY wheel like that out somewhat on the own SouthBend lathe which has a maxiumum swing of 16 inches, but would plan to spend a couple of days doing it.  This only works since my time is essentially free and the lathe is here at my exclusive beck and call.

Note that the above discussion is all academic in nature and in no-way is intended to be taken as instructions on how to make your own flywheel.  Anyone wishing to embark on such an endeavour is doing so entirely at their own risk and responsibility.  I cannot be held responsible for any mishaps which might occur as a result of the information provided in this post.  Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, bla, bla, bla.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »
for a flywheel

how about a set of semi wheels and tires

get a front hub and mount two semi wheels and tires in a dual setup

a dual set can be quite heavy

and can be easily balanced to near perfection :)

should be good to 650 rpm easy enough as well.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »
for a flywheel

how about a set of semi wheels and tires

get a front hub and mount two semi wheels and tires in a dual setup

a dual set can be quite heavy

and can be easily balanced to near perfection :)

should be good to 650 rpm easy enough as well.

bob g

Why not?  Because I just would not be proud to show off something like that as DIY. I am a very hard to please perfectionist when it comes to my own creations.  Anything that looks mickey mouse just won`t be acceptable.  8)

If I was on a desert island and that was my only option then sure, but I`m presently in continent, not in island.  Even if I have to resort to complete from scratch DIY, I can have a real flywheel!.  It is pretty darned hard to find hardware for the advanced DIY`er in Canada but thankfully we are better equipped so far, than desert islands.  Don`t ask me for long term predictions since so many neurotypical Canadians (not a compliment)  are so eager to haul anything that isn`t bolted down, and even stuff that is to the local scrapman who then ships it to the Chinese who recognize the value of it.  Who appears to be smarter in this scenario?  That is a rhetorical question BTW.

Bob, I know you were not directing this suggestion directly at me but rather a general suggestion to the group.

I should share with the group that I just spun my agricultural flywheel up to maybe 800-1000`ish RPM (visual estimate) and it is very well balanced, runs perfectly true and is well behaved.  It sure stores a shitload of energy too I`ll tell `ya!!!!!

Message to self.  Better invest in a optical tachometer for the shop right quick!  Visual estimates of RPM beyond about 8 revs per second (480 RPM) are not particularly accurate.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:10:36 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 07:39:53 PM »
rca:

it was not directed at you as you say
but rather as a possible solution for energy storage using readily available components

i guess it all comes down to what you want
if you want a show piece, you may as well chrome plate everything, put up some carefully placed accent lighting
and never start it,,, you don't want to get an oily dusty film on your showpiece now do ya?

alternatively,, one could make up a pattern on a large wood lathe and take it to a foundry and have one cast in steel
it can be done fairly reasonably, if you have a good pattern and can wait for them to poor it on a tail run of another project.

then you have a quality assured piece of whatever size and shape you want with known metallurgy.
after which you can take it to a machine shop with a lathe of sufficient capacity to turn it true
and fit it with a Q type bushing as well.

or you can go with the truck duals and apply white letters to the side walls :)
that should make it nice and flashy, and they do make polished aluminum wheels that would look cool too.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
rca:

it was not directed at you as you say
but rather as a possible solution for energy storage using readily available components

i guess it all comes down to what you want
if you want a show piece, you may as well chrome plate everything, put up some carefully placed accent lighting
and never start it,,, you don't want to get an oily dusty film on your showpiece now do ya?

bob g

Bob,

I was not trashing your idea as unworkable.  I just commented that it did not comply with my own high esthetic standards.  No need to use the `C` word  (chrome).  We both know that the urban myth promelgated mainly by speed and hype auto parts retailers that putting show chrome on any mechanical or engine component actually does NOT increase the horsepower.  I have no problem putting my showpieces, which are never chromed on purpose (only if the scrap piece I made it from had good chrome on it already), to work and getting them oily and dusty.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:20:16 PM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »
Besides, if you put on truck wheels and tires with white lettering it would screw up your optical tachometer  ::)
Stan

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 02:15:39 AM »
Besides, if you put on truck wheels and tires with white lettering it would screw up your optical tachometer  ::)
Stan

Not only that but you`d have to pull into the weigh scales whenever the light is on and the Ministry would want you to pay for an inspection sticker every 6 months, etc. You wouldn`t be allowed to drive your stationary engine in a residential area and you would have to put air brakes and maintain a liscense endorsement for it on your Listeroid.  If you handled too much load you could get pulled over and your Lister impounded. Worst yet, you would not be allowed legally to change your flywheels yoursellf! Too damned much trouble just to save a few bucks on a real flywheel IMO.   ;D

On the plus side if you had a twin you could put dual chrome stacks on it.  Kewl.   :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 02:17:14 AM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 03:07:56 AM »
You left out the axel load restrictions on stationary engines in residential areas.
The fines for engine braking your roid in noise restricted areas.
and since we are on the subject the disposal fees for used stationary engine tyres in the province of Ontario.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 03:45:11 AM »
Good points Doug!  And lastly, you will always be looking over your shoulder whenever your listeroid is running for the Ontario enforcement officer cars that are colored Hunter Green and white!   :o  Here we thought we were just kidding.

Oh and careful, you can be arrested for carrying an unregistered starting handle on your person or under the seat.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 05:12:22 AM »
Bob,

then you have a quality assured piece of whatever size and shape you want with known metallurgy.

I hope you mean "of guaranteed quality" rather than "quality assured" in the ISO9000 sense. Call me cynical, but they aren't (IMO) the same thing! ;D

Cheers

Brian

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »
Fellas, Just a note on running changfas under 2200.  I hooked my 1115-ST15 to my electric range and drew 48A/220V.  The engine loaded some, freq dropped from 61 to 59.9hz. and voltage dropped from 120 to 112(on one side, I assume it was about the same on the other side)  The stock radiator got too hot to touch, but no black smoke from the engine or the ST.

This is close to my expected max load, so looks like it might work.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger