Author Topic: Good news...Bad news...  (Read 3560 times)

dlgarnett

• View Profile
Good news...Bad news...
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:04:36 AM »
Hello all,

The good news is... FEMA reimbursed me for the generator I bought after H. Wilma. The bad news is...I hadn't discovered this forum or the wonderful world of Mr. Robert Ashton Lister yet. So... I am stuck with a 3600 rpm Screamin' Mimi disposable genset (8kW). Much to my dismay, I understand they are good for about 1000 hours (if you're lucky) and am wondering what, if anything I can do to prolong its demise. What goes wrong? Is it the engine or the gen head or both? Can it reasonably be rebuilt or is it truly throw away? In the immortal words of Messrs. Bartyles & James "Thanks for your support".

lgsracer

• View Profile
Re: Good news...Bad news...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 05:25:04 AM »
Try this site Tom's generator tips:

http://www.haywired.com/generator/

Greg

quinnf

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 03:47:43 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself.  For simple emergency backup power, there's nothing wrong with one of those "throw-away" gensets.  They're cheap, compact and, well, cheap and compact.  1,000 hours comprises a lot of monthly tests and occasional needful use.  Don't get RPM envy just because you read what the enthusiasts on this and other sites say about how a genset "should" be configured. 

I have a friend who has one of those 1000 Watt Honda lunch-box gennys that he uses to backup his ISP business.  He's also got UPSes and batteries.  The genny is just a third line of defense.  Use whatever suits your needs. 

Now if you're talking about operating off-grid for extended periods of time, yes the 3600 rpm genny is about the worst solution to your power needs.

Quinn

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
3600 RPM isn't bad in itself.
Lister makes a 12 HP unit for army tanks that show up periodically on Epay. I think that piston speed etc. have alot to do with engine life, so a short stroke engine could be built with stress levels low enough to last. IF the design and materials were also first rate.
I guess Briggs & Stratton didn't have to worry too much until the competition (Honda etc.) and EPA came along. They were one of the few engine suppliers around, all were cheap and would wear out fast. Now that is their legacy. Actually their new product line has some good stuff. I would really like to put their Daihatsu made 3 cyl diesel in my Ural sidecar rig when the russian gaspot packs it in.
I have a couple of Onan generators that fell in my lap after friends found out about the Lister Generator. Funny how that goes. I like all of them. Got any you want to give away?
 ;)Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:22:55 AM »
I purchased a Robin Subaru 11HP generator at Costco. It built my house with it (9 months near daily use), powered my new house before the grid was up for a 24/7 for a week. Then it powered my house 24/7 after 3 hurricanes. I would guess it has 1000 hours of hurricane use alone! Then it went to dads house for 2 more weeks of solid 24/7 use. I use syn oil (15-50) and change it every 2 days.

By the way, it is horrible on fuel consumption. Hurricane #1= $350 gas, #2= $400 gas and #3 would have been $650 if it were not for the generosity of my boss!

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence