Puppeteer

Author Topic: An Affordable Electric Genset Governor?  (Read 20784 times)

listerdiesel

Re: An Affordable Electric Genset Governor?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »

Peter,

Sorry, I misdirected the previous questions in error to you.  They were meant for the fellow making this kit, Listeroidusa1.

That's OK, I thought that may have been the case, but it worth an answer anyway.... :-))

Peter

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 08:45:52 PM »
Hmmmnnn.... about a month since the thread went quiet. Usually a sign that things have not gone to plan.... and we were all getting excited....

How's it going listeroidsusa1?

Regards,
Ian

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 09:03:17 PM »
It is going well. I made up a prototype circuit board and it worked fine. I'm currently having the circuit boards professionally etched, drilled, and masked. The board will be sold as a kit but the board is silk screened with all of the component placements so assembly will be a simple evening project. I'm having 100 of them built so that any 6-24 volt tach/generator (small PM motor) can be used for the speed sensor, and either a  ac or dc solenoid can be used for the throttle actuator.  It is a great improvement over the original governor. The boards should be delivered to me within the next 30 days.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »
just don't forget who asked first!!  :)

i have a place for one as i type this, and am ready to start assembly just as soon as i can get to the steel shop

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
Hi Is this governor going to be fail safe?
Will is slow down on any failure?
I am interested.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 01:22:29 AM »
I designed the circuit to be enabled by the tach signal. If the signal is lost for any reason the circuit board shuts down and the engine runs on the original governor. The engine speed is initially set with the original governor and any speed droop actuates the solenoid, pulling the rack and holding it until the speed sensor senses that the correct rpm has been achieved, Once the speed has recovered the cycle will start over again if the load pulls the sensor voltage down. (lower voltage from the small PM motor) Unlike the original governor the IC chip is extremely sensitive to voltage changes and responds within a millisecond to correct the engine speed. This is essentially a "bang bang" control running at high processor speed, so sensitive and fast that it is almost unnoticeable. I'm using a 12-24 vdc Ledex tubular solenoid attached to the governor arm at the dimple just above the governor spring adjustment knob. I'm still running reliability tests so that is why i haven't been saying anything about it. I want to be sure of the design and longevity before I put them up for sale. It is simple to install and adjust for any desired speed by means of 2 pots, one for matching the system voltage to the chip setpoint and one for tuning the tach voltage to the board.

I also see a place that can be improved. I'm using a single IC chip to control the speed. A version could easily be made using a quad chip that could energize a shut down solenoid if the tach voltage goes above the auxiliary chip setpoint, another of the quad's chips could monitor temp using a thermal switch or thermister, and the 4th IC chip could monitor oil level via a float switch. If the first version works out I "may" build a type II board. Additionally, a second quad IC could initiate an autostart sequence, but that is something I'd want to think about for the future. Its starting to get away from the KISS principle. It is doable but would have someone unaccustomed to motion control negative feedback loops, integrated circuits, and electronics scratching their heads most likely. Can you say flow chart and boolean algebra? It makes my head hurt sometimes!

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 02:36:02 AM »
I'm interested as well for my engines. 

This device opens the door for a slightly lower set operating speed for increased fuel economy and decreased engine wear (550 or 600 rpm vs. 650 rpm) without sacrificing proper speed regulation. At a cost of slightly lower continuous output.

Plus with a heavy flywheel (increased kinetic energy storage) installed on the generator for high surge requirements would make a nice addition to the gensets.

When there available let us know. Good luck with everything.

Diesel Guy

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 06:04:19 AM »
As far as over speed goes anyone ever consider a zero speed prox?

I use them on conveyor belts, the belt has to be running at high enough speed to start the timer in the prox or it turns off. We want the opposit, if the cam gear of fly wheel is spinning so fast the prox never drops out we have an over speed.....

Mike keep us posted on your govener, if you can provide a little more detail when your ready to sell them I'll buyone....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »
Hey listeroidsusa1, how is the governor setup and testing going ?

Seems to have gone quiet again. Any news ?

Regards,
Ian

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 06:03:50 AM »
[qote] I'm having 100 of them built so that any 6-24 volt tach/generator (small PM motor) can be used for the speed sensor,

So there is going to be idler wheel spinning to drive something to be the sensor ?  Why not a hall-effect pickup.  a PM motor with brushes is ......

LincTex

• Master Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »
any 6-24 volt tach/generator (small PM motor) can be used for the speed sensor

I think a ball-bearing radio control car motor would be great to use (some are very high quality) but am having trouble envisioning how to drive it?

sarawnw

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »
I think a ball-bearing radio control car motor would be great to use (some are very high quality) but am having trouble envisioning how to drive it?

The ones that I have used in the past were pulse position type.  There is a reference pulse followed in time by a position pulse.  A micro controller can be used to read in engine speed from sensor, convert engine speed period or frequency to time delay as required,  send out pulse position information to servo.  This is a simplistic answer but should get you started.  There are several larger servos that could be used for this application for less than $100 (information is a few years old) . 

Sara

LincTex

• Master Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »

The ones that I have used in the past were pulse position type. 

No, not the servos (Futaba, Airtronics, et al...) that control steering and speed, the actual electric motor used for propulsion

vegomatic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
Mike ,I really need one. I have one of your gen sets and its just the widget that I need. Email me when its ready! YAHOO

LincTex

• Master Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 07:05:54 AM »
An update would be nice