Alternative fuels > Bio-diesel Fuel

How much does biodiesel cost and where can I get it?

<< < (2/4) > >>

jgollie:
I found something called the GFEX via Google - says it will be a Green Fuels Exchange for things like biodiesel. Has anyone else heard of this/or know of what groups are involved in it?

Doug:
I bought some methanol Sunday, and I'm on the hunt for some fresh Lye today....

I want to see what this Mc-diesel thing is all about myself

rosietheriviter:

--- Quote from: Doug on September 24, 2007, 01:42:35 PM ---I bought some methanol Sunday, and I'm on the hunt for some fresh Lye today....
I want to see what this Mc-diesel thing is all about myself
--- End quote ---

Hi Doug,

I have absolutely no idea how much you have researched the subject but for the very best way (in my opinion) to get started is by following the instructions  here http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/719605551/m/857600061/p/1.  20 or so pages of information.

If your attempt is as a complete novice, the 2 liter method described above with NEW vegetable oil will teach you all of the very basic procedures.

Journey to forever also has some very interesting information, but many question the validity of the instructions found there.  If you are interested I can supply another dozen or more links on homebrewed biodiesel.

Whatever you do and whatever you determine, please keep us informed - as I am sure you will.

Rose is Rose

Doug:
So far Rose I have just looked at it.

Its yellow on top and gooey on the bottom.
I will not be putting this in my Jetta lol.....

I need to build a proper reactor ( small of course ) and invest in some chemistry books. there is only so much you can learn from the Internet.

Why do this at all?
I won't save any money when you factor in the time.

I need to test this stuff:
I understand that a glycol test will tell me if in glycerol remains inthe product
I think litmas paper will tell me the PH of the product

Now here is the funny bit.....
I used to brew beer from grain so most of the equipment I have here can easily be adapted. It might even be better since its sanitary and high tempt mostly stainless steel ect ect.

If I proceed I can't see myself blending beyond about 10% since its the lubricity I'm after maybe some small enviromental bennifits more than trying to to get rather than just saving a buck.

Spent all afternoon reading, maybe I need my head examined ....

That remineds me I have hurry off for a CT scan of my head lol....

Doug:
Yikes Straight veg in a TDI Jetta?

I may as well remove the air filter and pack it with sand!

The TDI engines are not forgiving of fuel. RVO gums the rings, the oil get contaminated, the bearings in the turbo bake and it get clogged with blow by oil.

In short TDI jetta + RVO = KA-BOOM!!!

I just want to play around, and I have the Petteroid so it may enjoy some. The wife may let me buy more engines so I think any fule oil I make will be emostly for the toys.

Doug

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version