Puppeteer

Author Topic: GF's Lister CS Start-o-matic  (Read 7740 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
GF's Lister CS Start-o-matic
« on: February 12, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »
Put this here cos I'm having problems trying to upload stuff to the coppermine, so put files on my webspace and linking here.

Right, this is a Lister CS Start-o-matic that I just picked up, by way of interest I paid 300 UK pounds, which works out about US$523.00

The chap I bought it from had owned it a few years, and run it about 20 hours a year. Just before he sold it it suffered the proverbial frost damage. He was gutted, but when I inspected it I noticed filler, it had gone before, and the previous owner had fixed it with filler and sold it without saying owt.

Mechanically this baby is sweet as a nut, just needs some TLC. Visually it is as ugly as sin, hideous water tank, dreadful trolley, some real botches on the wooden box and water tank, bad paint job, but ALL the original parts are there, even the fuel tank and wall unit.

These pictures were taken with a crappy fuji a202 digital camera, as was the (no sound) 20 second video clip in 640 x 480.

I used a bit of blu-tack to stop the worst of the leaks to run her up properly, so it is still leaking but held enough to run for 20 minutes for testing purposes, as I intend to document this, and so here we start with the "as she came to me" series.

I must also at this time thank my long suffering mother and her neighbours, temporarily for a week or so I had nowhere else to stash this baby except on her driveway, until I can make room in the shop in a week or so's time.

Embedding all those pix here was a mistake, made this thread unreadable

go here for them in a web gallery thingy
http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/Lister/gallery/index.php?

cheers

----------------------------------------------------------------

This first picture is alternator end, note the weighted pulley on the alternator.

This second picture is self evident.

This picture is a close up of the solenoid and linkage for the decompressor, in RUN position

This is the linkage pulled back (opposite of decompress) showing the only missing part, the pin from the solenoid to the lever

This is the oil pump (and cut off switch)

Injection pump, fuel filter, tappets, tappets rotate about 45 degrees per stroke

Injector pump and rack closing arm from the solenoid

Fuel filter

Plate on main bed

Plate on alternator

Control box with +ve and -ve and manual start button on top of alternator

Plate on top of control box

Alternator flywheel

Alternator flywheel again, approx 14 inches diameter

Flywheel, approx 25 inches dia

Flywheel, approx 4 inches wide

Flywheel rim, approx 3 inches thick

Flywheel disk, 1 inch thick

Genuine wall unit, thsi was intended to mount on the wall next to the start-o-matic. Distribution box really.

Close up of plate

Original fuel tank, note fuel level bob indicator

Inside tank, see the float

Float still works as fluid as anything

Pushrods etc

another side view

Genuine lister CS starting handle (I have the other bit of wood from the handle)

Hideous non original and nasty water tank, fuel tank just visible at top

blu-tack leak fix, but compression valve in IN position

compression valve in OUT position (low comp)

The directory containing these files
http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/Lister/pictures/2006-02-12/

The directory containing a 640 x 480 20 second avi of it starting
http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/Lister/videos/

Have phun, any questions ask away.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 09:16:21 PM by GuyFawkes »
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
Re: GF's Lister CS Start-o-matic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »
Frickin' a dude.... I am so jealous!! :o ;D That's totally sweet despite the cylinder damage.  ;D
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:31:14 PM »
I had an advantage being 100 miles from where they were built...

If you want revenge go and buy an Indian Super Chief or a clean pan or knuck for a couple  thousand bucks as a barn find....

we can swap

vbg
--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »
I don't see one ugly thing about it.  I can only imagine how sweet that thing sounds.
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 11:08:37 PM »
she deserves better, and will get it...

will grab some better quality video and audio files, esp close up audio of bearings / tappets / startup / shutdown etc later this week
--

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:05:04 AM »
Drooled all over my keyboard looking at your new Start O Matic pictures.  Those flywheels look positively menacing.  And all set up on a mobile platform! 

What will you do with the cylinder, Guy?  Do you have a parts machine you can scavenge or can it be welded?

quinnf

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:05:44 AM »
Interesting shots of the trolley.  Axle appears to be bending and side shot appears to show the trolley sagging along the long axis.  That's a LOT of weight for wood to bear unassisted by recycled Fiats/TR6s.   ;)

Thanks for the pics.  The flywheels are to die for.  Nice, Nice castings.  Did I say nice castings?

Quinn

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 09:49:44 AM »
Drooled all over my keyboard looking at your new Start O Matic pictures.  Those flywheels look positively menacing.  And all set up on a mobile platform! 

What will you do with the cylinder, Guy?  Do you have a parts machine you can scavenge or can it be welded?

As much as I positively HATE plastic metal, having had to contend with it being used in all the wrong places and wrong ways over the years, instead of doing a proper cast weld repair, I have been toying with the idea of a plastic metal repair, as this is one of those few applications where its use will not make matters worse... there are no mechanical loads to speak of, only a water jacket, and there are no temperatures to worry about, and it is not anything except a static part.

I haven't made my mind up yet.
--

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:53:28 AM »
Interesting shots of the trolley.  Axle appears to be bending and side shot appears to show the trolley sagging along the long axis.  That's a LOT of weight for wood to bear unassisted by recycled Fiats/TR6s.   ;)

Thanks for the pics.  The flywheels are to die for.  Nice, Nice castings.  Did I say nice castings?

Quinn

the axles aren't bending, they are just loose with lots of slack, but they are shite

the wooden beams have sagged over time, but jack them in the middle and they retain the bend >;^)
--