Author Topic: Engine manufacturers  (Read 2374 times)

dskira

• View Profile
Engine manufacturers
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »
I wounder how many engine manufacturer operate in the 1920 and how many they are now.
It seams that it is always turning around the same name, I wounder if it is one huge casting facility somewhere lost in the world who do the casting block for everybody, and each brand put its final touch!
Just kidding, I don't think so, but it can happens in the futur and it will make economical sense. Allready it is difficult to to diferencie a car from an other, Asian, Euro or US seams quite similar. Driving one is diring them all.
Before my Chevy, I used to have a Packard four doors 1949 model, height cylinder in line. The torque was so huge that you didn't have the need to change gear, if you were not in a hurry. Simple, heavy, didn't handle very well, but it was quite an experience. Opening the hood was a treat!

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:12:46 AM »
My IH Scout accelerates much like your Packard. I can go from 15 to 90 mph in 4th gear.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dskira

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:27:21 AM »
Tom, I like your car, good for you to keep it.

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:26:54 AM »
   I'de love to have a 49 Packard 4 door with a straight 8,talk about a chic magnet whoooooeeeee.Oooooppppps,some 45+ years too late,still like to haxe one though