Author Topic: Gravity Feed Diesel fuel filters Question?  (Read 5575 times)

Bluecometk

• View Profile
Gravity Feed Diesel fuel filters Question?
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:24:01 PM »
  Can you use a filter like a Racor 225Rm or R26 (normal vacuum side filter) with a gravity feed injector pump on a small air cooled Yanmar 10 HP diesel? Given a normal gravity feed position.

I would think the necessary flow rate needed to run the 10 HP diesel would be less than 2 Gal per hour. But that's just a guess.

Thank you in advance
Bluecometk.
Bluecometk

Yanmar 10 hp LA-100 DIY genset
2 MTU 2000 V12's
12 KW 4cyl Kolor Genset
35 KW  4cyl  Cumins Genset
3 cyl  Volvo  bow thruster
Onan DJB 6.0 genset
Waiting for a proven Redstone

gpkull

• View Profile
Re: Gravity Feed Diesel fuel filters Question?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »
10 hp yanner i llike air or water cooled you have a fine piece. the consumption rate of dino should be no more than 1/2gph. that would be runnin hard racor should be able to suit yuor need

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:52:12 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. It is likely that it willl work when properly bled.

Remember that injector pumps are just that, pumps. While your engine is gravity feed, it is not in the same sense as a carbureted engine. The injector pump will create a small low pressure pulse which can help to move fuel. Some engines are better at this than others.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:00:25 PM »
I'm not all that familiar with the Yanmar but it seems to me they have lift pumps?  If not you could get one at a parts store.  Some are very reasonable and fairly cheap.  I was reading on a biodiesel forum about them the other day and there were quoting a price of $30 with no failures.  I have all the links to that site at work.  I think it's biodiesel.infopop or something like that.  They use the pumps on two tank veggie  systems. 
MLG Gib Key Pullers