Author Topic: LISTER FLYWHEEL QUESTION?  (Read 26576 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: LISTER FLYWHEEL QUESTION?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 04:22:08 AM »
GF,

My observations concur with your post. My roid smooths out under load. This will work good for me when I start charging batteries.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: LISTER FLYWHEEL QUESTION?
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:41 PM »
There are several issues here.

1/ Dynamic vs static.

Depending on who you talk to, dynamic either works in more than one plane, or dynamic means "working with the motor as a working whole", while static always means spinning the flywheel or other object on its own, usually by hand, to find the dead spot. Dynamic "usually" means, TO THE BALANCER HIMSELF, smoothing out the motor over its operating rev range, whereas Lister CS was not an engine built to run up and down the rev range.

Also with a static balance the unit becomes one, you can balance the apparent rotating assembly but not the individual flywheels. You can't tell which flywheel is the problem. The solution is to use 1/2 of the selected % used for the reciprocating mass and staticly balance each flywheel individualy.

If you call up a balance shop and inquire about balancing the spinning parts of a 6/1 listeroid, they are probably going to ask for the following parts to be brought in:
Crank
Flywheels
Rod with cap and oil dipper and bearings
piston with pin, clips and rings
all associated hardware these parts would use when assembled to each other.
They are going to weigh the complete piston, the rod, rod little end, rod big end and mathematically come up with a weight for an add-on counterweight/bobweight to be attached centered on the rod journal.

And then they will want to know what % you wish to have it balanced to. That is the secret to either a Dynamic or Static balance of a 1 cylinder reciprocating engine. They only balance a % of the reciprocating mass. Do you want a jumper or a slider or a mix of both?

If you bolt it to a ton-o-crete it's no big deal.

Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA