Puppeteer

Author Topic: journal spec's  (Read 2839 times)

blaze

• View Profile
journal spec's
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:07:30 AM »
    Hi folk' I am new out here and  i need some help. I have a 20/2 JKson motor and I need spec's for the rod journal's. my rod's did not have shim's and torque to 60 ft.lbs they will not squish a plastic gauge??? they measure 2,499thou on one side and 2,498thou on the other any thought's would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Geno

• View Profile
Re: journal spec's
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
I had to shim mine out with tin foil. Just make sure you have the correct amount nip/crush.

Quotes from other people.
"Yes, to check the nip you tighten both nuts to 75 ft/lbs and then loosen just one.  The resulting gap should be between .004" and .006". That measurement only needs to be done when fitting new bushings.  Like I said with Indian bushings, mine nipped out at .004" and plasti gauged out to .002" which fell perfectly between the .0015" and .003" as per spec."

"Tells you all about how to measure, but to fit the bearings they say to select an oversize or undersize as needed. Not sure where to find any sort of write-up on how to fit bearings the old fashioned way. The instruction book tells how to check the crush - torque to spec, release one side and measure clearance at the rod cap parting line; .004" to .006" is the spec. My original bearings were done right at the factory. The crank journal measured 2.4998. The bearing ID with the rod torqued to spec measured 2.5022 - 2.5024, so clearance is .0024 to .0026. The crush measured .006. So give the Indians credit where it's due."

Thanks, Geno
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:24:55 AM by Geno »

blaze

• View Profile
Re: journal spec's
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:15:48 AM »

Thank's Geno that help's out alot I read the info in the manual about the nip but I was not sure what was the best way to close up the gap between crank and bearing. I heard about the shim under the bearing but I am concerned about where the bearing and the cap come together,or is this not a problem.Thank's Mike