Author Topic: ST Gen heads - any difference?  (Read 13182 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: ST Gen heads - any difference?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 06:39:46 AM »
I know where there's an ST 10 but I'm not sure I want to wind it or anything else ( coblers kids have no shoes, the mechanic drives a wreck, and the winder don't like winding anymore lol).

What I can do is drop by the shops where I used to work and snap some pictures

Actualy Bob you have less room to work, how well you spin coils dictates how well they nest in the slots. The nuckles at the ends of the stator must be long enough to clear space for the next group of coils but not so long they touch the end bell or cooling fan. Hunch over for 6 hours at a bench working, my back bother me just thinking about it.

ST head would probably be easier since you only have a skinny little harmonic to lay on the main winding.

Its a little different than an alternator where you often don't close the coil over the entire area of the pole ( just 3 sides then reverse for the oposite pole ). 

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
Doug:

"Its a little different than an alternator where you often don't close the coil over the entire area of the pole ( just 3 sides then reverse for the oposite pole ).  "

agree'd but...

when you strip a 90 amp 12 volt leece neville stator which is three phase and then rewind it for single phase
120 volt ac, 60 hz at 600 rpm, you have every slot filled to the absolute max!
and yes the last one i did probably took 6 hours just to install the coils, let alone stripping the core and prepping it.

you have to be determined that is for sure.

and yes,,, i hate working on my own car :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 05:52:17 AM »
But do you drive a rust bucket that look slike an ashe tray inside?

Never met a wrench who didn't own at least ione "grosemobile" lol.

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 06:23:58 AM »
Doug:

"But do you drive a rust bucket that look slike an ashe tray inside?"

no and yes

"no" it isn't a rust bucket, because it is soaked in grease and oil :)

"yes" it looks like an ashtray,, i smoke cigars, or rather chew them and well... you know :)

but i love my truck!! even if it don't particularly like me.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 06:36:29 AM »
I used to hot box the Kiruna trucks of certan drivers I didn't like.....

Sit in the cab roll up the windows, turn on the AC and smoke these nice Cubans I got from a chum who holidays there a lot.

I like a good cigar myslef.

Then if the mood struck me I'd head for the luch room before the drivers came down to eat......

Doug

jimdunne

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 01:57:21 PM »
A friend of a friend reported to me that the CSA in Canada has been making up a list of those who sell the ST heads up there, and sending out cease and desist letters. (my bet is a rat turned someone in, and started that ugly ball rolling-what a hateful thing to do!!)

At any rate, there is one of those fellas who just had his heads inspected, and they were passed by the inspector with flying colors! He had one of the "other" ST heads there, and it failed miserably. He was even told there was no way it could be made to pass!!

So in short, there are major differences in the heads, and thank you Mobile Bob. You were right on the mark.

rbodell

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »
So just to satisfy my curiousity where are you getting magnet wire, slot liners, roof wedges, epoxy, phase paper, sleaving ect.
Doug

You can get any of that stuff from BAE magnet wire in Sarasota Florida. They are in the phone book. All they sell is magnet wire and winding accessories. They even have 1000+ pound spools and square wire. They ship internationally too.

They can't tell you how to rewind anything but they can tell you anything you need to know about the wire. They are verry helpfull too. Although they usualy only deal with industry, they didn't have resale prices when I first started to do buisiness with them, I used to go down there and get wire to rewind a single transformer and they sold it to me at wholesale prices. They sell it by the pound and the price is determined by market prices of copper which changes daily. The prices are verry reasonable though.

They have recently started to do retail buisiness and I see they are on EBAY as baewire. They have a 99.5% positive feedback. Only one negative coment which includes refusing to do overseas buisiness, however they are on ebay.uk too LOL.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 01:03:23 AM »
A friend of a friend reported to me that the CSA in Canada has been making up a list of those who sell the ST heads up there, and sending out cease and desist letters. (my bet is a rat turned someone in, and started that ugly ball rolling-what a hateful thing to do!!)

At any rate, there is one of those fellas who just had his heads inspected, and they were passed by the inspector with flying colors! He had one of the "other" ST heads there, and it failed miserably. He was even told there was no way it could be made to pass!!

So in short, there are major differences in the heads, and thank you Mobile Bob. You were right on the mark.

I don't know about a "RAT" but there is an inspector for ESA that took some interest in my ST head. I also told him it was imported and shipped from another province. Very hard to lie to a guy i have to work with on a regular basis and who lives up the road from me......
Previously posted in thread "ESA Sharpens its teeth"

These things have to be inspected before sale. I don't care if its CSA, ESA, UL, or any other recognised authority or utility inspection group. Its a very simply things to pass, 1200V high pot and proper secure connections and enclosers....

Doug
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:04:30 AM by Doug »

jimdunne

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 02:55:59 AM »
Doug, no one said or even implied you had anyting to do with that.

There have been a lot of posts in this forum about those ST heads, and i suspect that even the worst of them will run for quite a while.  I just don't like it when posts give a wrong impression.

Yes, there are other brands available in the US. I for one, just refuse to pay $1200 for a small Marathon 4-pole head.

Respectfully, Jim

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 03:12:46 AM »
Jim I don't care or get too worked up over stuff relax.....

I raised a red flag about this a while ago.
And I piss a lot of people off.

Sometimes I am not sure who I am typing too. We had a fellow here some time ago who used a name some people found offensive and who was a persom with whom I had a difference of opinion on about many things( some he was trying to sell ).

That much said if CSA has a bead on the ST head there is a chance that my Jindong ST-5 was brought to their attension by ESA and I couldn't tell the inspector the F*** OFF and mind his own buisness because we have a close working relation ship and he knows that I can work the rules to my favour.

Doug

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »

Yes, there are other brands available in the US. I for one, just refuse to pay $1200 for a small Marathon 4-pole head.

Respectfully, Jim

Indeed, the Marathon heads are expensive.  However, the volume is low on small, 4-pole heads, and costs are through the roof.  I build tube audio equipment as a hobby, and my transformer winder tells me that he's had 7 price increases on laminations in the past year and copper prices are insane.  His costs have steadily been going up and up for several years already.

I worked for a time recently at a motor manufacturer who made stepper, servo, and old tech PM DC motors.  I can easily see where manufacturing cost for a 5kW Marathon generator head would be $600 by the time materials, USA wages, and overhead were applied.  As a single unit purchaser through a distributor, you could easily get to $1200 sell price.  If you could buy 50 or 100 at a time, factory direct, prices would undoubtedly be a lot lower.  I'm sure Marathon has to buy minimum lot sizes of components for these small 4 pole heads, and sits on inventory for a long time.  Small lot sizes of machinings, castings, or molded parts gets you a big percentage of setup costs, etc. built into the piece price.

Chris

H

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »

Uhh...  Am I missing something?  Why do these need to be inspected ?  If you are doing some sort of grid-tie I could understand, but if you are off grid, in the sticks, what is the inspector doing in the power shed?  Because the generator for your arc weleder is outside, does the inspector still need to see it ?

Mike  ( planning now, for my escape from the city )

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 01:45:54 AM »
Insurance for one thing.
And simply because all electrical equipment falls under some regulation in the NEC ( in the USA ) and building codes.

Doug