Puppeteer

Author Topic: Listeroid makers  (Read 4076 times)

n2toh

• View Profile
Listeroid makers
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:33:10 AM »
What other Countries make Lister type engines? I'm surprised China isn't making them, They make really good copies of the Yanmar diesels.
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

Bikerbob

• View Profile
Why no listeroids out of China?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 07:46:35 AM »
The Chinese only copies modern machinery.
As a result, you do not see any Briggs & Stratton copies, only Honda...  ;)

No, but seriously:
Copying a Lister will not really be a step forward if you want volume in your production.
And given the cost of transport, cost of raw material, lack of raw material in China (almost no natural resources in terms of raw material) and the demand for modern "consumer goods" in the west, well, there is your answer...

To build a Lister is hight in material, hight in transport, and low in labour. And the main thing that allows the Chinese to compete is cheap labour...

/B

Your mission impossible:
Upgrade Low-tech to Hight-tech, adding nothing but No-tech...

Doug

Re: Listeroid makers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:54:21 AM »
I'm gonna jump in here Bob and enlighten you a little about China (not a flame relax....).

They produce a hell of a lot of their own primary materials like oil, coal, copper, iron ore ect...
As a matter of fact only a few years ago

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 05:04:59 AM »
I'm gonna jump in here Bob and enlighten you a little about China (not a flame relax....).

They produce a hell of a lot of their own primary materials like oil, coal, copper, iron ore ect...
As a matter of fact only a few years ago China exported oil and fuel to us here in the west. But when your ecconomy is running away at 9.5% grow per anum it awful hard to feed the machines.

I work for the International Nickel Company, the USA used to be our biggest market, now its China not because they lack there own nickel  projects both domestic and in other countries they simply can't build capacity as fast as the consume. India is next about 7 years behind and growing more slowly at only 5% Russia is also growing and accelerating (no solid number for you they are an exporter not an importer of materials so I don't realy watch that market beyond did the Ice brake up late for Norislk to make their contract) .

Doug
Hang on to your swinging parts the $2.50 copper is coming and so is $8.00 nickel. Palladium... heh... heh.... Buy some you won't regret it

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 08:10:14 AM »
What is the going rate for Palladium rods these days? ;D Also I have learned that not all Palladium is created equal.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:13:00 AM by n2toh »
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:49:55 AM »
I think most of the "P" metals are ranging between 500 and 1000 US.
Palladium is a sustatute for Platinum

Most Platinum group metals come from Norilsk in Siberia, next would be S. Africa and then Sudbury. Metal is metal it all depends on how its refined and for what it is used. Let me give you an example Ferronickel is a product 80% iron 20% nickle its used to make stainless steel and is cheaper than Sinter75 also used for stainless steel but 75% nickel. Electrolitic refined nickel is sold in big shiny ingots and sells for about what the LME price is depending on contract. Nickel powerders like Inco 202 or Falco crowns are refined to a very high degree for use in batteries and super allows (using the nickel carbonel gas process , I only know of two or three plants that do this 1 in Canada 1 in Wales and 1 in Norway that produce 90%  I suspect there may be other plants In Japan China Russia and USA(Oak ridge, I looked this up once and or possibly in Texas). The price of this is negotited behined closed doors. Titanium, cobalt, berilium and some of the other metals are also sold at or more often above the world price depending on grade and suply. This is why the USA keeps stratigic reservers of these many of metals incase of war, or if they are cut off from imports

Here's some number crunching....
An 8 yard bucket holds about 15 tons of ore from the Creighton "Plumb" that grades at 8% nickel $14,000 US a ton and 10% undisclosed metals (meaning the PMGs gold, silver, cobalt). I wonder how many homes I could buy for a bucket???