Author Topic: Genset starting circuit, help?  (Read 10534 times)

rosietheriviter

• View Profile
Re: Genset starting circuit, help?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 08:48:06 PM »
I thought that NASA civilian space program was 100% public by legislation. What an absurd time. Material that is obvious and public, and of course already long ago copied into Russian and, well, everybody else's records, is then made "classified" after the fact. What BS! Horse has left the barn...
Only tiny details can be kept really secret - and they seldom matter, imho.

NASA is an entirely owned and controlled U.S. Government agency.

Endeavour construction began BEFORE a contract was awarded - a doubt many companies would began a project before official contract unless the government was involved.

I left my position in the aerospace industry because of my moral indignation over the misrepresentations, waste, graft and corruption between the U.S. government and the contractors and the lies told to the public.  'Course, my age had a little to do with it also.  Had I been penniless and no prospects for other employment, I suppose there might have been a difference but I like to think not.

Rose is on her motorcycle.
Any resembalance to any correct spelling, punctuation,or grammar is purely coincidental!

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country, for an amount of "up to and including my life."

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »
Hi there one more update for rose ;)

For the grounding rod talk first to a electrician because the dept is depending on your soil water conditions.
Maybe you need three installed or you can use your well.

In my case the house grounding is installed below the basement footing 5 meter below soil ( +/- 16 feet). and i am having other rods around the wind generator tower ( two hits by lightning in 6 months ).

Keep grounding separated from lightning protection ( i wash disconnecting the wind gen by the first hit, and it sparked out the arrestors/ spark caps )
 and if you are free from the grid keep your ground floating not connected to the generator ( for same reason there is always a leak eating your metal).

Greetings from greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 12:48:51 AM »
Good point about thel galvanic corrosion.....

Thats another reasosn for single point grounding, lighting Isolation is also important qould you believe I also have lighting protection 6000 feet below sea level in the colon of the mine ?

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rosietheriviter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »
Hi there one more update for rose ;)
For the grounding rod talk first to a electrician because the dept is depending on your soil water conditions.
Maybe you need three installed or you can use your well.

Keep grounding separated from lightning protection ( i wash disconnecting the wind gen by the first hit, and it sparked out the arrestors/ spark caps )
 and if you are free from the grid keep your ground floating not connected to the generator ( for same reason there is always a leak eating your metal).
Greetings from greece

Thank you, Petrako!

I have come to the conclusion that my best course of action will be to install a water storage tank (along with my small doughboy pool) for water storage and use the generator to run a separate pump for domestic (not potable) water and for fire protection.

Would it be safe to ground the generator to my grid grounding rod?

No one for miles around has lightning protection.  We all are in a heavily forested area, lots of tall trees, many in excess of one hundred feet tall.

Rose is Rose.
Any resembalance to any correct spelling, punctuation,or grammar is purely coincidental!

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country, for an amount of "up to and including my life."

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »
If the trees are higher than the house your area is providing the protection. ;D

I my case my wind generator 20 M from my house is the highest whit in 4 KM. This is perfect for the wind generator but not for lightning.

In your case it is safe to ground and wise to do.

Greetings from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.