Author Topic: belt tensioner a good way?  (Read 14335 times)

dmp

belt tensioner a good way?
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:45 PM »
First post.  I enjoy this forum very much.  Thank you, everyone. I've learned a lot!
I will be operating an SD -10  and would like my engine to operate at 3 different
speeds. Is a belt tensioner  the best way to go?   Most here run one speed and
use  some sort of base to adjust the genhead.  Choices are to have an adjustable
base, idler/tensioner or a dual idler/tensioner, a squeese on the top and bottom of
the belt. 

What's your say?

the engine is mitsubishi L2E - 900-3600 RPM

Thanks,  David

phaedrus

• View Profile
Re: belt tensioner a good way?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:11:39 AM »
convention dictates tensioner on slackside of belt. What's SD-10? Why 3 speeds?

Grainger sells nice adjustable base. I used one and do not regret it.

Tensioners can allow more wrap, and thus somewhat less tension, for a Nth torque. This can minimize overhung bearing loads, which can be important in some configurations. I bought the parts to make a nice dampening tensioner, and have been lazy by not yet building it.

Alignment is important to savvy.

Tension is a matter to understand. Gates can be very helpful with engineering support in the belt matter. Tension meter is very nice too.

Best,   P
if ya don't ask permission they can't deny it...

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 05:41:23 AM »
good luck with all the diff rpms your making your life harder than it shouild be. there is no need for multi rpm.  KISS is watt its all about. there is no free lunch   balance your load with fuel/power requirement and your done. your headache will only become worse when you find ratio wrong       pump burnt up    ac burnt up  or who knows watt else.  ratio is rpm   rpm is freqency.   voltage good but freq not still makes bad soup. sorry for the bad news but this is very basic

dmp

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  The SD is a welding generator.  If you do a search you'll find them listed next to ST heads.

I wanted to build a generator for back-up purpose.  Then figured why not have a welder too.  Hence, SD-10.
I look to run the engine @ 3600 RPM for welding but for back-up, slower.  That's two speeds.  If two, why
not three?  There's room for 3-8groove pulleys that would start @ 12"  and decrease in diameter
from there.  The engine would have a single 6"-24groove which would be safe @ 3600RPM, SD 12" for 1800RPM,
allowing me to slow the engine by changing the belt to a smaller pulley and maintain 1800RPM @ the head.  I have
a Hayes Mfg. ass'y bearings that support the stub shaft and this housing connects to the flywheel and bell housing.
I am partial to the idler/tensioner figuring the belt would not need to be as tight as using a base tensioner set up.

Thanks
David

phaedrus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:42:46 PM »
tensioning the almost flat polyvee belts from the back is not particularly hard on the belts, but tensioning a V-belt that way shortens the belt life considerably. Thus the advantage of increased wrap without losing belt life that is available by tensioning the flat polyvee types is not available in the V-belt.

what engine do you plan to use?

P

dmp

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:15:12 PM »
I want to use L section poly V.  The engine is mitsubishi 2cyl.  Facing the flywheel the servicing side of the engine is to the right.
The left would be the gen side.  CCW of engine would put the idler on top of the drive somewhere between.  Thinking more,
a bracket to mount the idler could attach to the bell housing instead of the base frame.  That would be more compact.  Still
not against base tensioning.

Gotta start the coals.  STEAKS tonight!

Thanks
David

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 06:49:08 AM »
Why not go to an auto salvage yard and pick up a serpentine belt tensioner from an automotive engine? Many of these are spring loaded and will automatically adjust the belt tension.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

phaedrus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »
Andy, I looked at those and discovered that the ones I found provided too much tension, sorta - anyway the spring rate was too stiff and they were not quite suitable in a 6-1 setup. Can't say 'bout Dave's project though. Maybe they'd be right for it.

villageidjit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 05:41:34 PM »
would like my engine to operate at 3 different speeds. Is a belt tensioner  the best way to go?   Most here run one speed and
use  some sort of base to adjust the genhead.  Choices are to have an adjustable base, idler/tensioner or a dual idler/tensioner,
a squeese on the top and bottom of the belt.      the engine is mitsubishi L2E - 900-3600 RPM
Thanks,  David

David,

Is your intention to run multiple belts to multiple devices from multiple pulleys and select the device by engaging the appropriate idler/tensioner?

Vic
Somewhere in the Ozark Mountains, the Village Idiot is missing!

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 12:50:57 AM »
Here is how I build my gensets. this is my personal unit

I think I've got the photo posting correct but we'll see.

Mike

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 12:59:16 AM »
Nope, could you post to a putfile or something Mike?

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rbodell

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:08:19 AM »
Here is how I build my gensets. this is my personal unit

I think I've got the photo posting correct but we'll see.

Mike

No you have the address on your computer. they didnt come through

dmp

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 03:00:58 AM »
Vic

I am very sorry for not responding sooner.  Thereis an annoying habit of mine to to hit an all too close button marked BACK on my
keyboard, next to SHIFT.  That wipes out all I wrote.  [verrry careful doing the I]  Well, I frustrate and put off.

I'm leaving room on my base for what you suggest.  I want to have a back-up generator and not a Generac.  I think you have my
spirit.  Use an engine.

Just want to get gen/ weld going.  Stuff,.....down the road.

I'm thinking anti- EXCREDRINE 'bout now.

Regards
David

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 04:08:43 AM »
Lets see if the photo link works. This tensioner works great.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s111/listeroidsusa

dmp

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 02:09:59 AM »
Mike, that,s a nice looking set-up.  The tensioner looks to have the travel to fit my multi-pulley design.  Would it also be able to
to support an idler to span the three belts I'd be hoping to run?  That's an idler about 4.5" wide.  It has the kind of adjustment
that would make belt ratio change easy.  Do you lock this tensioner in position?  Just can't tell from the pics.

Thanks
David