Puppeteer

Author Topic: Found AV1  (Read 4544 times)

Tugger

• View Profile
Found AV1
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:48:11 PM »
Just mentioning my 12/2 listeriod to a friend...
His dad has had a Petter engine in his garage for 20 years collecting dust..

AV1
ser#638156
1800 rpm
5.5 hp
3kw generator..
would i be right in assuming it was built in 1956?
engine turns over..kinda..i turned it 15 degrees and heard scraping sounds ..so i stopped..
Are parts available for this engine?
Would anyone know the value of this engine?
Price quoted was.."Ill help you get it the f*&^ out of my shop and you can have the damn thing"
Cheers
Tug

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Found AV1
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:02:30 PM »
Yes parts are available for it.....

A friend bought two at a farm auction here in Canada for 50 dollars one was a runner the other was for spares. He's happy with it, good runner
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
Just mentioning my 12/2 listeriod to a friend...
His dad has had a Petter engine in his garage for 20 years collecting dust..

AV1
ser#638156
1800 rpm
5.5 hp
3kw generator..
would i be right in assuming it was built in 1956?
engine turns over..kinda..i turned it 15 degrees and heard scraping sounds ..so i stopped..
Are parts available for this engine?
Would anyone know the value of this engine?
Price quoted was.."Ill help you get it the f*&^ out of my shop and you can have the damn thing"
Cheers
Tug

The dating guide lists start and finish dates, but you cannot assume that because the engine number ends in 56 that it is a 1956 engine.

See:  http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/petter2.htm

I'd guess at 1954/55 going by the production volumes that they were putting out.

Engine spares are not good in the USA, not particularly better in the UK, but some parts are still around like injection spares etc.

Peter

Chuggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »
I was told that the AV series 1 (horizontal injector) didn't have a very good combustion chamber design and was hard to start so the series 2 soon replaced series 1.
Series 2 has better combustion chamber design and angled injector and apparently serial numbers begin with a Z.

junk and disorderly
Chug

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »
The Series 1 combustion chamber design, piston bore size and I think the valves also were 'borrowed' from the Cub flat twin diesel, which was an excellent engine. The transfer was not successful and the Series I had a reputation for being a bit if a b*gger to start, hence the hasty direct injection setup of the Series II engines.

The engines with a Z in front of their engine number are Series II but may be badged or number sequenced as Series I....

Peter