Puppeteer

Author Topic: How many people have carbon monoxide detectors?  (Read 3083 times)

n2toh

• View Profile
How many people have carbon monoxide detectors?
« on: February 02, 2006, 12:22:05 AM »
How many people here operate their Listeroid in or near their living space, and do you have CO detectors?
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

quinnf

Re: How many people have carbon monoxide detectors?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »
I do!  I do! 

It was pointed out many years ago in one of the sailing rags I used to occasionally write for that there is a piece of equipment that is readily available, inexpensive (in fact you likely have one) and quite reliable at sniffing out leaking propane.  The same unit, recalibrated, could work for detecting carbon monoxide.  It operates on the principle that carbon monoxide alone doesn't segregate from the other divers gasses and vapors that internal combustion engines spew into the air as the result of their combustion of fuel at somewhat less than 100% stoichiometric efficiency.  Along with the CO there will be residual oxygen, CO2, some soot and hydrocarbons that are easily detectable by the device.  So, rather than detecting CO directly, it relies on detecting the products of incomplete combusion, from which the operator can infer that CO is also present.  One caution about using the device is that, like driving or operating on someone's eyes, one shouldn't use it if one has a cold, allergies, or if one is drunk.  It doesn't slice or dice, but it is capable of distinguishing among all kinds of gasses and vapors. 

Ok, so what is this wonderful device?  It's commonly called Natural Olfactory Sensing Equipment (N.O.S.E.)   ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  A blurb to that effect appeared in the late 1970s, just after the very memorable April 1, 1976 issue of SAIL magazine heralded the appearance of the polyestermite.  Shortly thereafter newbie fiberglass boatowners (the boats being fiberglass, not the boatowners) began calling their local boatyards, frantic that this new gribble would eat a hole in their polyester palace.

But serously, Nurse, yes, if you forsee operating any IC engine in a confined space, which you shouldn't even think of, then install a CO detector.

Quinn

« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:10:51 AM by quinnf »

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:19:06 AM »
you forgot one.... the free N.O.S.E. detector does you no good when sleeping.

As for operating an IC engine in a confined space, sometimes it's unavoidable. I've seen many installs of Diesel and gasturbine backup generators in small rooms without CO detectors, Mostly in NYC office buildings.

I think the greates danger is when they are near sleeping chambers.
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

quinnf

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 01:41:13 AM »
Right you are.  Sleeping reduces the sensitivity of the device.  I suppose when you're in a place like New York City you do whatever you have to to get the power you need and the authorities understand, assuming you follow the rules.

My employer did something like that recently.  Needed to install a new boiler for steam and at the same time needed more electricity on a panel.  The local utility was offering a sweet deal on Capstone gas turbine generators which are about the size of a refrigerator and put out 30 kW.  So they were installed and the waste heat was used to generate the steam that was needed and the 60 kW of electrical power was essentially a freebie.  After a few years with all the credits from the utility for peak leveling and conservation the capital cost was recouped.  http::www.capstoneturbine.com

Quinn