Author Topic: Waste Oil Purifier  (Read 37301 times)

Incredilion

• View Profile
Waste Oil Purifier
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:39:12 AM »
Hi Folks, I just thought I'd let you know that I posted a couple of pics of my brand spankin' new waste oil prurification machine.
 Any comments about my bad plumbing unappreciated from the start ;-).
Chris

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: Waste Oil Purifier
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 04:40:49 AM »

where are they posted?
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 05:06:27 AM »
I'm sorry. There's a couple on coppermine.
 I tried to post 5, but the pics were too big, it allowed me two.

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 05:36:42 AM »
Jens-
You're right, it is kinda serious. I hope it works anywhere near to it's advertised numbers.
 The barrel thing is the filter housing, 3 filters inside of it. The water seperator is underneath, and on the other pic you can see the sight gauge (to see how much water has been picked up).
  The white barrel next to the purifier is a mixing barrel. I use it for mixing winter fuels.
 I haven't run anything through it yet, but I may tomorrow. Today, I made arrangements with a lab to analyze the oils, prior to filter, with one, two & three passes. The machine is SUPPOSED to clean the oil to 2-5 microns and remove water to 100 parts per million, (which is the same water standard as the diesel you get at the pumps).
Chris

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
Jens-
You're right, it is kinda serious. I hope it works anywhere near to it's advertised numbers.
 The barrel thing is the filter housing, 3 filters inside of it. The water seperator is underneath, and on the other pic you can see the sight gauge (to see how much water has been picked up).
  The white barrel next to the purifier is a mixing barrel. I use it for mixing winter fuels.
 I haven't run anything through it yet, but I may tomorrow. Today, I made arrangements with a lab to analyze the oils, prior to filter, with one, two & three passes. The machine is SUPPOSED to clean the oil to 2-5 microns and remove water to 100 parts per million, (which is the same water standard as the diesel you get at the pumps).
Chris

Chris -
  Did you make that unit, or purchase it?  If you purchased it, do you mind sharing what it costs?

I've been looking at the simplecentrifuge.com site, and unless something better shows up, I'll probably buy one of their kits in a month or two.  It seems... well... simple.  However, I don't know if it's good down to the 2 micron level, though I'd imagine that's just a function of how long you leave the oil in the separator.  While the centrifuge requires power to operate, the downside of other filter methods is that they require filter changes, so I'm guessing the cost is probably not that different, especially if I have "spare" power from the Lister that would otherwise go to waste during low-load situations.  However, I'd be interested in hearing if you've made the comparison as well and why you went with a filter-only system.

JT

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »
JT,
No, I didn't make it. I did purchase it, and I have a Distribution Agreement with the company it came from. I really don't want to quote any prices right now, as I'm not ready to offer it to the public yet as my testing isn't complete.
 I also liked the centrifuges, but there were a couple of things that made me go towards a filter-based system.
I don't want to have to heat my oil, as it takes lotsa energy to do that. You need to heat the oil going through a centrifuge, or at least that's what the manufacturer's told me.
 The water seperation qualities of the centrifuge's aren't nearly as good as the filter based systems. Again, what I have been told by the manufacturers.
 The volume of centifuges isn't nearly what I am SUPPOSED to get through the filters. The system I have is listed to produce 150 gallons an hour, plus or minus.
 Also, my filters are cleanable, so replacement isn't necessary. I don't know how long it will take to clog them up, although they really are monsters.
 I went & looked at the site you listed, and I think it looks pretty good. If it cleans the oil well (and I don't know why it wouldn't), all you would need to do is dewater it decently & you're all set.
Price wise, I can tell you that the system I have cost me (as a distributor) a lot more than the centrifuge on that site.
 I did a lot of looking around, research wise, and I came to the conclusion that all of the systems have a downfall of sorts, including the one I have. I'm not looking forward to cleaning filters, on the other hand, I can filter oil fast, all the way (per literature) up to 50% water. I wanted something that was industrial grade, that was made by a larger company. The model I have is actually the manufactureres smallest system, so I believe that it probably will work as advertised. (HOPEFULLY).
 If it does, I'll start offering them to the public in the next 60 days.
Chris

Incredilion

• View Profile
Re: Waste Oil Purifier/Good/Bad/Ugly
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21:30 AM »
A little update.....
 Today, I finally was able to turn the machine on & see it work.
The good:
I believe that the company that manufactures the machine based their volume specifications on fairly well used filters, or on REALLY bad oil. I passed cold waste oil (63 degrees) through the machine at a rate of 6.28 GPM. That's 375 Gallons per hour, and I was REALLY conservative in my estimates. The machine passed 6.28 gallons in a total of less than 50 seconds. That's a Lot of oil fast.

The bad:
There's a circuit breaker inside the panel that kicks out after between 35 & 55 seconds. I'm not sure why it kicks out, wether it's seeing too much resistance at the motor, or it's a bad breaker, or if the transformer (that indicates the machine is set up for 50HZ instead of 60) is either set wrong or is bad. I don't know, but the emails are flying across the globe! ( I WILL prevail).

The UGLY.
I plumbed my mixing tank this morning to take the newly processed oil. Before I was finished, I took it outside & filled it up with water. It had a small leak. So, I went & got another 2 inch valve & nipple, & installed it, took it outside & made sure it didn't leak.
 Took it inside, & (excitedly) started the Purifier.
Standing there smiling at myself, I decided to go over to the tank & take a closer look at the oil coming into it.
The floor was slippery.
I look down & figure out to my horror that I indeed left the new valve OPEN.
Luckily, I put only about a gallon or so on the ground.
Waste oil goes a long way.......

Anyways, I'm encouraged.
The machine does indeed filter, & FAST.  I do have a couple of samples for the lab, and I just need to figure out what the deal is with the breaker.

Chris

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:58:01 AM »
Regarding the circuit breaker tripping:
You may want to check the nameplate on the motor. If it is only rated for 50 Hz, this may the problem.

Another possibility is that you have a dual voltage motor and the circuit breaker was sized for the higher voltage. Check the motor FLA (Full Load Amps) rating against the size of the circuit breaker. You want the circuit breaker to be about 125% of the FLA.

Yet another possibility is that the motor was sized to run the pump with 50 Hz power and can't handle the load at the higher RPM caused by running on 60 Hz.

By the way, is the motor getting warm?

If you can get your hands on a current probe, I suggest measuring the motor current and checking that against the FLA rating on the nameplate. The motor current should measure less than the FLA rating. Lower current measurements are better. :D

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:48:23 AM »
Andy,
Thank you very kindly.
 I didn't have time today to mess with it, but hopefully this weekend....
However, I did run my HOUSE on my 6/1 for the first time today. I was running it on 240VAC, and found that the load in my house needs some balancing. Also, every 2 mintues or so, there seems to be a load (about 6-12amps) that comes for about 10-15 seconds then goes away. I don't know what it is, but I do know it's in my main panel. (I also have a subpanel).

Anyways, again, thanks.
Chris

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:49:23 PM »
That's a pretty quick cycle for something like a fridge or a freezer, if it was A/C you'd know about it.  Do you pump your own water? 

If you can't find it by tracking you could start shutting off one breaker at a time until the cyclic load is gone.  How much load are you seeing?  can you measure it or just hear the 6/1 grunt every so often?

RC

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »
Chris, got a sump pump?
Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 02:18:32 PM »
RC-
I do pump my own water, I have a well that's 450 feet deep. I suppose it could be that. I was planning to shut off one breaker at a time & then see if I can find it. I'm using a clamp on amp meter, and the load on one leg is going from 5-6 amps up to 12-15 amps. You can hear the generator grunt when it haooens, it's real obvious. Kinda weird, I also lost the line in my garage that feeds my freezer. It just stopped working, but all of the breakers have power on them.
 Like I said, you can hear the generator/Lister start to work hard, & it only lasts for 10-15 seconds, then it's basically gone. The balancing I need to do is because the house is pulling (idling) 5-6 amps on one leg & 3 on the other. I think I can make that better.

Paul-
No sump pump. (Almost wish I did then I'd know what was causing the issue).

Chris

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »
incredilion--

The grunting and the freezer are probably the same problem.   My big chest freezer compressor sometimes got 'stuck' and would try to start for about six seconds and pull enough amps to grunt the Lister but then an internal overload in the freezer would kick out and kill the load, but would reset itself and try to start again.
  The solution is to unplug the freezer for about an hour then try it again.

I have a 25 cu ft chest freezer sitting here free for the taking.  I bought a 7.5 from Home Depot but even it makes not only the Lister grunt but I can hear it start when the 15Kw Onan is running it.

Off grid refrigeration needs should be met with propane.  I wish there were more products to choose from.

I bought a 1944 Servel propane fridge from a sheep herder ($10) and LOVE it.  I wish it had a matching chest freezer.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Incredilion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »
hotater,
Thank you for the info. You know, the line that went dead in my garage is the same one that feeds my freezer. I guess I never thoguth about that freezer casusing the issue, as I tested it with a Kill-A-Watt & when running was only drawing 140 watts. It is a chest freezer, but, man, I didn't think it would cause me any troubles. My fridge is a new LG, 26 CF, and it ran fine. According to the dtatplate, it uses 3.2Amps.
 I'll try your solution tomorrow, as I think I'm finally going to have some more time to play with it then.
Again, thanks.
Chris

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 04:59:27 AM »
hotater,
Thank you for the info. You know, the line that went dead in my garage is the same one that feeds my freezer. I guess I never thoguth about that freezer casusing the issue, as I tested it with a Kill-A-Watt & when running was only drawing 140 watts. It is a chest freezer, but, man, I didn't think it would cause me any troubles. My fridge is a new LG, 26 CF, and it ran fine. According to the dtatplate, it uses 3.2Amps.
 I'll try your solution tomorrow, as I think I'm finally going to have some more time to play with it then.
Again, thanks.
Chris

Chris,

As you may know, refrigeration compressors often take 3X or more the normal run current to get started. If your wire feeding the garage where the freezer is, is a long 14 gauge run the voltage can drop a lot as seen at the freezer outlet when trying to start, causing a start failure.  You may find that by upgrading to a larger conductor size in the long freezer line, to #12 or #10 AWG that the problem disappears.  This is frequently an issue with wimpy #14 gauge house wiring and window air conditioners.  Just because  particular wiring is deemed up to code by morons does not mean it is good enough to operate properly. 

Had an outage here today mid afternoon that lasted several hours during a brutal storm.  Fired up my DIY VW diesel plant that does 9 kW, 3-phase with a bit less than that available at the house.  Today was a central aircon day and the only load I lifted at the main house panel was the electric hot water tank.  Had microwave oven, one element on the stovetop boiling K-dinner, air conditioner going, fridge and deep freeze, well pump, sump pump, TV, computer, etc.  all going and my power (122 volts per leg) was just as stiff and stable as shore power.  I recently upgraded the grossly undersized 5 kVA, 3-phase stepdown xfmer in the generator room (my ST type head outputs 485 volts) to a heavy, oversiized 30 kVA unit and what a difference!  Now I can pull overloads on the genset and get full continuous power without bad smells and worry of limiting load durations.  It took me a long time to find a suitable replacement xfmer that met my lack of a budget.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion