Puppeteer

Author Topic: Real Power  (Read 5900 times)

johnny williams

• View Profile
Real Power
« on: December 05, 2005, 09:59:33 PM »
Hey all. I was just wondering, you read alot of "stuff" here on the net. Who has a 6/1 with a 5KW head and how much are you really getting out of it? I just want to know if my 6/1 will do what I need to do.

Johnny Williams

Copybell

• View Profile
Re: Real Power
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:09:14 PM »
My engine is a Metro brand 6/1 with an SK 5000 watt generator.  I run 3,200 watts of load with no problem.  The engine does not smoke nor does it seem to be laboring.  I have had up to 4,200 watts of load at which time the engine is working, however it does not seem to be unduly loaded.  I hope this helps.

Clifford Myers
Omega brand 6/1
Fuking brand 6/1
Satyajeet brand 20/1
Mini Petter

Stan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:26:12 PM »
Speaking of power.  I have read all the specs I can find on the internet such as bore, stroke, weight,etc. etc. and have tried to find any differences between the single cylinder engines, despite the 6hp/8hp/10hp ratings.  The only difference that I can find is the rpm.  The 8's and 10's run at the higher rpm, hence (I think??) the higher hp ratings.  Anyone out there confirm this?  Are they essentially the same engine run at higher rpms to get higher hp?
Stan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 11:28:18 PM »
I've been running a 6-1 FuKing with an ST-5 genhead.  It just loafs along at 1500 watts, which is normal here 95% of the time but will handle another 2000 in surge without drama.  I'm at 5500 feet and figure HP is down by 25 to 30%

Stan---

The engines are essentially the same but sometimes have slightly different tuning of the injector pump.  Smaller flywheels are normal on stronger engines, too.   Most of these engines will run 'smooth' (see thread) at a lower rpm but not a higher one, so 'something' was done to mitigate that in going to a higher rpm to gain more horsepower.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

quinnf

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:04:49 AM »
Wish I could say I had a FuKing diesel.  Ashwamegh 6/1 with ST-5 head gets me to 3800 watts before I start seeing a little smoke.  Exhaust note changes very little under load.  After becoming accustomed to the sound of a marine engine loading up while going over big waves this is really a trip.  The impression is of immense torque available. 

According to modern thought/common practice you can load a dizzle to the point where it just begins to smoke and back it off just a scosh and that's where it's happy running.  When you see a truck belching out black smoke, that's just wasted fuel.  The new electronic control systems they're putting in modern diesels minimize smoke via oxygen sensors and the ever-present computer (what would we do without them?) and don't allow the engine to smoke.  The local fisherfolk who have re-engined with new electronic diesels say fuel economy is so much improved their effective operating range is extended significantly, and they have no need to their extra tanks. 

But all that's based on multi-cylinder high-speed dizzzles.  Something that might run 2000 rpm or more.  These old rock-crusher types might  run OK with a little smoke.  I'd expect them to, especially the one-lungers because crankshaft speed throughout the 720 degree 4 stroke cycle varies more than it would in a multi-cylinder engine.  On the other hand, smoke will eventually cause problems by slowly coating the exhaust system with carbon, eventually increasing back pressure in the exhaust system and decreasing engine efficiency, so I'm still undecided about where to run the engine if I have need for near-maximum power.  Note the pepper can mufflers these engines come with are largely immune to carbon build up because they stay so hot.

Glad I didn't get the ST-3 head.  The extra capacity in the ST-5 helps starting grunt-loads, and the price difference was minimal.  Oh yeah, I'm at 400' elevation, so I might have a bit more oxygen available than folks like Jack in the rarified air of southern Idaho.

Now there was a fellow up in Canadia (Montreal?) who successfully turbocharged a 6/1.  That's an impressive piece of wrenching.  I'd _really_ like to do something like that, but after pricing Jetta turbos from a wrecking yard I figure it's cheaper to just buy a 12/2 or install some compact fluorescents.

Quinn
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 04:14:04 AM by quinnf »