Puppeteer

Author Topic: "O" ring size  (Read 4563 times)

Reno Speedster

• View Profile
"O" ring size
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:34:52 AM »
I just picked up the cylinder and the waterjacket from the shop after the sleeve was pressed out.  The "O" rings were pretty deformed while installed and during the removal process.  Does anyone know the actual spec for these things so I can order some new buna N rings for installation?  By the way, progress is being made on my generator house (its purpose built for the Lister).  I'll post some photos when its done.

Morgan

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: "O" ring size
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »
Measure the cylinder liner and the casting where the O ring seats. Measure the O rings for inside diameter and thickness. You will probably find it is some kind of standard. Call your local O ring suppier
(Porter Seal in the seattle area) (standard non commercial interest yakkity yak)
It's not too tuff.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:32:17 PM »
Since you are replacing the O rings. You might want to step up and spend the big bucks for the red silicone ones as they handle high temps better. Also when you come up with the correct size would you post it to the specs thread.

Question for the board op: Can you do "sticky threads" on this system. If so could you do one for the specs thread so it stays on the top of the page. Thanks!!!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

quinnf

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 07:44:05 PM »
Morgan,

Were you able to get the cylinder out yourself?  Sounds like a "no" since you use the word "press."  Considering the heat, I bet that's not a standard O-ring.  Sure would hate to guess wrong and end up with a crankcase full of licorice mousse.  I'd run this one by George and see if he has them.

That's about the prettiest generator shed I've ever seen.  

Quinn

Reno Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »
Well, I did some measuring of the original rings and some averaging because they get pretty compressed and deformed, and it looks like they are 3/16 dia, 4 1/2" ID, 4 7/8" OD.  This is a standard size at MSC Industrial Supply and they have them in Buna N which is the aerospace standard and able to withstand temps to 500 degrees F.   The part no. is 75749697 for a pack of five.  They have a warehouse just up the road from my ranch in Fernley so I am going to pick them up in the morning and I'll let you know if they are the right ones (but I think they are).

As for getting the cylinder out myself, I followed the recommendations, put a board between the cylider and the case, picked up the water jacket and cylinder  (aligned on the head bolts) and drop it on the board.  This did "start" the sleeve but once it was flush with the water jacket I couldn't get enough pressure on the rounded lip of the sleeve to drive it out.  My machinists put it on there press and pushed it out for nothing.  It didn't take much force.

A warning:  While I was talking with my machinist he warned me that installing sleeves / O rings you should never use oil.  Evidently, the oil trapped between the O rings will swell in operation due to heat and hydraulically  compress the bottom of the sleeve and ruin the sleeve and piston.  I find this pretty amazing but he says that they have seen it on big diesel truck engines.  The proper way is to lubricate the O rings with some kind of soap.

Reno Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 02:35:28 AM »
I picked up the O rings this morning from MSC industrial supply and they are they correct ones, so the above size and number is infact a good one.