Puppeteer

Author Topic: hydraulic oil as fuel  (Read 18780 times)

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
hydraulic oil as fuel
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:33:25 PM »
I am using used hydraulic oil in my 3.5hp minipetter. i was using waste motor oil but it burned too dirty. i filter my oil through a toliet paper filter, it seems to work good. The hyd. oil burns much cleaner. Anyone else out there using it as a fuel?

rpg52

• View Profile
Re: hydraulic oil as fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
I have about 15 gallons of it, likely not enough to pay for setting up a filter.  Did you set up your tp filter exclusively for the hydraulic oil?  Did you mix it with regular diesel or use it straight?  Thanks,
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 09:25:35 PM »
I set up the filter with fresh paper for the hyd. oil. It ran fairly clean Lately i have been mixing 10% waste motor oil with it to burn since i have a good supply of it. The hyd. oil does not have carbon soot mixed in like waste motor oil so it burns cleaner.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:47:29 AM »
The toilet paper filter does not clean the waste lube oil soot?
How well does the toilet paper filter work? How many oil and / or fuel products have you tried? What do you think of toilet paper filters?
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 04:18:52 AM »
 the toliet paper filter removes the heavy sludge from  used motor oil but not the carbon black. the wmo seems to run fine in my petter but i like to mix it with the hyd. oil. you have to filter the hyd. oil because it tends to have metal shavings in it. I have a friend who owns a hyd. shop where they rebuild hyd. power units, jacks etc. so he produces 55gal barrels of hyd. oil waste. Good supply. The filter is cheap to build and seems to work fine. I have ran my petter on cooking oil also and it rand fine. As a matter of fact when I got the petter set up, I got in a hurry to start it and had forgot to buy some diesel so I robbed the wife's wesson oil and used it to start. It started on the second hand crank! I want to try wvo this summer when it gets hot and also hook up a fuel warmer to thin my oil.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 09:57:25 AM »
I know I'm going against the CS religion here, but I think I'd like to try a petter for my next project.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 01:01:37 PM »
the 6 hp are pretty good/ start and run good/look just like the 3.5 just a little bigger and heaver/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »
I know I'm going against the CS religion here, but I think I'd like to try a petter for my next project.
Scott E

UNBELIEVER!!!!   :o

STONE HIM!!!   :'(

TBH petters were good little engine, and bryce injection kit was pretty good too, they were just a completely different ethos from the Lister CS, literally so, from the point of view of buying your diesel engine by weight.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETTER-PH1-9-0BHP-2000R-M-SIGLE-CYL-DIESEL-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ7605734252QQcategoryZ58177QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Petter-engine-dumper-small-digger-mixer-tractor-horse_W0QQitemZ7605843259QQcategoryZ112394QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Petter-Diesel-Generator_W0QQitemZ7606777139QQcategoryZ46412QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETTER-2-5kw-LIGHTING-PLANT_W0QQitemZ6619684604QQcategoryZ69826QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/petter-diesel-stationary-engine-1-65-bhp_W0QQitemZ6268949933QQcategoryZ13869QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the 2.5 kw lighting plant is about 50 miles away from me, from memory somewhere between 200 and 250 lbs weight, so it could be air freighted for reasonable money.

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
several pretty good deals there on e bay/ the one for 12.5 pounds is a nice one..lot of potential and application/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 04:54:09 PM »
Scott E

TBH petters were good little engine, and bryce injection kit was pretty good too, they were just a completely different ethos from the Lister CS, literally so, from the point of view of buying your diesel engine by weight.

Three questions about the British Petters.  Are they as fuel-thrifty as the indian MP's, and are they better quality (which is to say, do they have real working governors?)
Do they run in the same 1200 - 1500 rpm range?

Thanks

Russell
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
I've been looking at Indian Petter types types for a while now here's a quick run down....

Indian Petters are based on the AV*** series of engines. The first Indian Petter was a clone of the AVA-1 starting in 1949 at Kirolskar. AVA-2 and larger Petters began in the 50's.
English production of the AV*** series is seems to have ended in late 60's, but durring the 20 years they were produced the different series started stopped and restated eg AVA-2 series III.
Indian Petters have evolved with TBRs and bushed types, piston oil pumps, gear type pumps heavy and light fly wheel combo, air cooled, ax air cool, water cooled, water with pumps, alternators and even electric start.
Singles and twins are common and it looks like India made a triple too. Most have a bypass filter for oil in the crank case some have an external spin on filter.

The displacement of the Indian Petters has increased over the years mostly due to longer stroke cranks and there are bore and cranks variations that Petter never built giving rise to large 13.5 Hp singles and small 12 Hp twins.

Quality ? ask Sid and the other owners, I don't own one but I know they are a big seller in the midle east and asia.

Doug

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 07:43:44 PM »

Three questions about the British Petters. 
Are they as fuel-thrifty as the indian MP's,
and are they better quality (which is to say, do they have real working governors?)
Do they run in the same 1200 - 1500 rpm range?

Thanks

Russell

1/ Fuel consumption is very very very closely linked to BHP, it has to be. Think about it.
2/ Genuine Petter is a good little motor, always found in working enviornments, such as 1 ton dump trucks.
3/ Depends on the model, but by and large 1500 rpm was a capable speed for many models.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 03:18:39 AM »
Some of the 80mm stroke Indian Petters are rated as high as 2200 rpm. Most in the 110 mm I am told will do 1800 rpm. There are also 114mm, 116mm and 120mm stroke engines. Mr Atul Patel from Power Line says his Petters will work just fine at 1800 RPM. Once you get over that 95 mm bore I suspect your going to wish for a ballance shaft at these speeds.....

Doug

I'm in love with that Little AVA-1 water cooled genset. The last one in the groupe is not an AV type but older might be an "Atomic" hard to tell without seing the name plate no that I care I want it too!!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 03:36:34 AM by Doug »

XHoosier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »
Hi,
I'm a real newbie to the Forum, have been reading a lot but not posting on any real interest items as yet.
In regard to oils as fuel for Listers and other diesels, I have yet to find a post or info regarding use of ATF (Automatic transmission Fluid) as a fuel.  Does anyone have any info at all about it?  I have a great source of used ATF, and when I finish moving back to Ohio, need to consider all fuels as I plan to use a 6/2-5KST for backup power.
Any info on the subject would be appreciated.
Mac

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 12:58:54 AM »
Hi,
I'm a real newbie to the Forum, have been reading a lot but not posting on any real interest items as yet.
In regard to oils as fuel for Listers and other diesels, I have yet to find a post or info regarding use of ATF (Automatic transmission Fluid) as a fuel.  Does anyone have any info at all about it?  I have a great source of used ATF, and when I finish moving back to Ohio, need to consider all fuels as I plan to use a 6/2-5KST for backup power.
Any info on the subject would be appreciated.
Mac

You are in a unique position of advantage.  Your federal government apparently considers ATF to be so useful that they have an entire Bureau devoted to just that.

Not being able to simply pick up the phone and call the BATF, I had to find out how useful it is with my own resources.  I have let WTF sit for several years to allow crap and water to settle and have then pumped from the top of the settling tank through a 10 micron filter to a day tank.  From the day tank the fuel circulates through a coolant heated heat exchanger and into further water trap/10 micron filter and finally through a 2 micron caterpillar filter before going into a VW, 1.5 Rabbit (and also tried on 1.6 litre Jetta) 4-cylinder diesel engines.  The engines ran great but the injectors coked up quite seriously in less than an hour.  I did not try putting electric heaters on each injector line and at the injectors themselves.  This is unlikely to help however because |I HAVE tried diluting the filtered WTF with clear diesel fuel in 50-50.  This gave two hours run before serious coking, but still had coking troubles, and just 20% WTF in clear diesel which ran somewhat longer but still caused coking.

I suspect the problem is fine dust in the mix from the bands and clutches.  I am considering building a centrigugal filter or processing through a vacuum distillation plant.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion