Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Ashwemagh 6/1 inspection

<< < (2/5) > >>

quinnf:
No, I didn't think it would.  >:( 

Hmmm . . . let's try it this way:

Reno Speedster:
Just an update, and a complement for George.  After looking carefully at the sleeve in good light I found that there were actually 5 dents in the sleeve and some light scoreing.  The dents were at the location of the wrist pin at BDC and TDC and appear to have been caused by the broken circlip striking the cylinder wall when the piston reversed direction.  The largest of the dents was a little less the 1/8th of an inch long and 5+ thousandths deep, much too deep to hone out.  I contacted George to ask about buying a sleeve and rings and he told me that he would send them out for the price of the shipping.  Excellent service and a stand up guy.  I'll be tearing it down more this weekend so I'll let you know what I find.

Morgan

quinnf:
Yeah, George is like that.    ;)

Reno Speedster:
I continued the tear down today and there is some good news and some bad.  The good news is that the crank and the rod bearings look fine.  The bearing has a couple of little bright spots showing some polishing from the run in but they are very small and look pretty much like what happens to babbit bearings when the are run in.  The bad news (predictably) is the valve lifters.  I pulled the guides with Georges tool ( a little big and requireing shimming but it worked fine otherwise).   The inlet lifter was clearly rotating during the break in and it had a pretty good finish, however it shows quite a bit of wear indicating a possible problem with the finish of the cam or the hardness of the lifter.  The exhaust lifter was clearly not rotating and was grooved during the break in.  At the least they will both have to be reground but I want to find out how hard they are before I have it done.  I am going to pull the cam and take a look at it to see if there are any burrs etc which might have contributed to the problem and I'll have to get the guides sorted out. Another problem is the idler gear which seems to have quite a bit of slop in it.  I can slide it back and forth on the shaft (not a giant problem) and even wiggle it a little on the shaft (indicating a loose fit of the gear on the shaft which my require bushing the gear or making a new idler shaft).  There is also fairly significant slack in between the idler and the cam shaft (which George warned me might be a problem).  I'll set up the magnetic base and get a reading with the dial indicator so I know how much I'm working with.  Wish me luck!

By the by, what exactly is the threading on these?  Standard, Metric, Whitworth, what?   I want to replace the studs on the cam gear cover with bolts (making it easier to take off) but I'm not sure what to buy.  I need to pull out my thread gauge and start figureing, but if someone already knows....

Take care

Morgan

quinnf:
Reno,

I replaced the nuts ont he cam covers with acorn nuts, and it seems they were standard 5/16" thread.  I'd just put two nuts on a stud, back it out and take it to a hardware store and see what fits.  The nuts supplied seemed awfully loose, so I replaced most of them, assuming the studs were right.

Yeah, I was a little troubled by the slack in the gears, too, but I keep thinking that my standard for comparison is derived from working on motorcycle engines that turn 14,000 rpm.  I can't imagine a slow speed engine is that critical, though there's no reason you can't go through your 'roid and bush gears, etc.  It has to be better.

I expressed my concern about the way the timing marks were stamped into the teeth of the idler on my 'roid.  George had one hanging around that he sent me which was only very lightly stamped. so I put that one in.  It seemed to also fit tighter on the idler shaft.  Seems they're not all the same.  I'd really like to poke around inside a genuine British built engine to see whether this shoud be a concern.  I think that as the engine accelerates the gear lash action you hear when cranking it over decreases just because the mass is all rotating in the same direction. 

Hey, take some pics as you go and post them.

Quinn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version