Puppeteer

Author Topic: epa tier 2 compliant??  (Read 18954 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: epa tier 2 compliant??
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007, 12:45:42 AM »
Silence from Bob, I was kind of hoping you had some thoughts on this......

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 09:36:14 AM »
I wonder if I could learn how to flip hambergers?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just jumped on here to see how things are going...
Here's my .02 cents...
There is an easy way to make almost any diesel meet the emissions standard...
A few of you may remember my semi closed loop engine... where I took a Listeroid and cooled the exhaust and returned it to the intake.. I installed an air pump to add the air needed for combustion. Remember air is only 20% O2... so you can add pure O2 just to keep the O2 levels high enough for combustion... BTW that 20% O2 means 80% of the gas that goes into the engine is merely working fluid. 70% of the working fluid of an engine is nitrogen...

engine pollution occurs from 2 things... unburned fuel (HC's) / which is caused by lack of proper mixing and having enough O2 for combustion. The other pollutant is Nox... this is a nasty yellow gas... Nox happens when O2 and nitrogen are present in a high temperature environment... one way to combat Nox is to slow the combustion process / flame front.. EGR does a pretty good job of this... cooled EGR works even better... also recirculating the majority of the exhaust helps burn HC's that didn't get burned the first time... this is usually the job of the catalytic converter... but running the exhaust back through the combustion process makes more sense IMO... use the unburned fuel to make some power...

T19 I don't think a 5 stroke is possible with a piston... it has to be an even number IMO...  Maybe someone is trying to coin a phrase... this happens...
Some engine manufactures have talked about injecting a small squirt of diesel as the engine exhausts.. this sounds kind of like what you are mentioning..

I built a 6 stroke engine from a a Petteroid similar to Crowers... this engine is internally cooled.. it squirts some hot water in on the 5th stroke... and exhausts it on the 6th... this is nothing new.. The 6 stroke idea is about 80-100 years old...

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 04:40:27 PM »
FWM---

How did your six stroke engine sound?   A returning GI told me of 'odd' sounding engines in blue containers with 'Oriental' writing on the sides at pumping stations in S. Iraq.   He said if you could imagine the cross between a small Detroit and a Harley Davidson it would be close.    ???        My imagination isn't that good.   :(   
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 12:10:21 AM »
Sounds like the Chinese are shipping these engines all over the place as part of thier Foreign aid

Afghan, Iraq... when will they get to North America for us Heavy Metal lovers :D

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Mucke

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 12:41:49 PM »
As i have been reading this post and others i noticed  that there are certain parties that have their own beleifs and that is good but it seems that if you dont think the way they do then what you are trying to do and accomplish must be horse crap just because they thinks its the wrong way to do it or it cant be done that way.
Its a good thing the wright brothers didnt listen to everyone else that said it was IMPOSSIBLE to fly and to even attemp it was sheer stupiditity. ATTEMPTING THE IMPOSSIBLE GETS THINGS DONE, SAYING IT CANT BE DONE GETS NOTHING DONE.

Just my 2 cents
Derek

Derek,
Besides the ridicularity (?) of the whole issue and the incredible fact that it stirs up so much dust ,which in turn must make any "outsider of the real world" smile, I don´t quite agree with you on :attempting... .
Many innecessary (?) experiments both from private and public sides could be avoided with a little research on the net or even using common sense. We definitely don´t have the time to reinvent any wheels.
Shure, some things can only be verified by experiment, but as for our type of engines, almost everything has been tested over and over again and the results are commonly available.

Rolf, another grumpy old opinionate

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »
Crossley VOE had a second smaller piston used for scavenging, but it was a two stroke.  Runs on any kind of oil.  Maybe the 5 stroker  is based on this principle.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »
another grumpy old opinionate
;D......I can relate to an old opinionate! LOL
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2007, 05:58:27 PM »
Hi Hoater,
The sound is something like a pop wush - pop wush.... The pop is the normal exhaust... wush is the steam exhaust... There's a slightly longer wait between the pop that with a 4 stroke..   

So far my combined cycle engine is very crude... but I think about 10-15 % more efficient that a singe cycle engine .. I need to build a 3 valve head and valve train so the steam stroke can have it's own exhaust valve... This will allow use of a condenser and also better exhaust heat scavenging.

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 12:54:37 AM »
Mucke
          You said there was no need to reinvent the wheel since someone else invented it,hmmm, I will disagree with you on that statement The wheel gets reinvented everyday even tho many dont realize it. By trying to improve something is reinventing it again. Once Henry Ford had the Model T being mass produced why did he continue to make other models when he had the T? Because of public demand. They wanted something different, better, faster, more luxuriouse and he sold it to them.but everything in life has been reinvented wether by a little bit or a huge difference. Because someone else made the wheel it makes our life immensely easier to improve on it but that said we still have to know the basics to wheel making to improve on it.

Not a grumpy old man but working on it, year by year :D
Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »
Derek,
I thought you HAD to be a grumpy old fart to post here.  You mean it's not mandatory???
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
Hi Okiezeke
             Being a grumpy old fart is not mandatory ..   im lacking in that department cause im only half way there.. but it sure helps ;D

Not a grumpy old man but working on it, year by year  ;D
Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 03:48:16 AM »
Derek,
At least you have some of the best mentors in the world here to show you how.
Zeke

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 04:36:13 AM »
Evening all -

I'm no motor head but I think we are going in the right direction if we use part of the exhaust over again, something like a turbo charger. I know that is not the answer but I think it brings us one step closer. I saw a guy in Canada he is running a turbo on his 6/1. I wonder what his nox looks like on a test strip.
Rob

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »
Turbo,
Proven technology, been around forever, off the shelf availability.  Would just about have to work.
Zeke