Author Topic: Homemade toilet paper filters  (Read 33989 times)

rbodell

Homemade toilet paper filters
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »
Has anybody been able to make or found directions for a homemade filter?

I have not been able to find the rite combination of TP and PVC pipe to make a filter. I am beging to think the PVC has to come from Europe and be metric sizes or something. Has anybody got the correct type of pvc and brand of tp?

rbodell

Re: Homemade toilet paper filters
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:21:23 PM »
The commercial unit I have here has tapered walls on the inside. This is crucial to the seal on the side. I suppose you could rig up some sort of a side seal another way .... but I doubt you can do anything with a straight-off-the-shelf piece of pipe. The outer diameter of different manufacturers rolls are also different so one roll could fit but not the next one.
I would be interested to hear about your design ideas if you have found a way around the seal problems.

what I finaly did was to get some drainage (thin wall) 4 inch PVC about 4 feet long and use a heat gun to soften the end of it so I coulod take a smaller piece of pipe and stretch it enough to put a bell in it to make the opening about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider.

Then I rewound the TP/Paper towels on a piece of caped 1/2 inch pvc with a 3/4 inch floor flange sliped over the 1/2 inch pvc. The cap on the end keeps it from falling off. It was wound up big enough that  I had squeeze it into the belled out opening. as it goes in it gets squeezed tighter all the way around. Once it is completely in the 4 inch pvc, I used a stick to push it farther down the pipe. Once it is down fae enough so that it sets in a bucket but the TP is above the edge of the bucket, I drilled a hole in the 12 inch pvc and pushed in a long rod so it will catch on the top of the pvc pipe to prevent it from falling all the way to the bottom.

I stand it up in a bucket and pour 2 or 3 quarts of wmo into the top and let gravity do it's thing. It takes an hour or two to drain down then I refill it again.

Since you had a problem getting it tight too I guess everybody has that problem unless there is somebody out there with an answer to the problem.

That is what I have so far. It would be nice to find some plans for one you don't have to rewind the tp/paper towels on.

If this is working as good as the franz filter, that racor should never get plugged up. I am going to go with a regular 2 micron final too, I just wanted something like this so I didn't have to go buy primary filters by the truck load LOL.
Bob

-------------------------------------------

After messing around with th TP filter for a while, I have decided to incorporate it but not depend on it. It will be one of the filter elements and will be used more as a water absorber than a filter unit. My final filter will be a racor 2 micron unit.

Jens

rbodell

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:32:11 AM »
what I finaly did was to get some drainage (thin wall) 4 inch PVC about 4 feet long and use a heat gun to soften the end of it so I coulod take a smaller piece of pipe and stretch it enough to put a bell in it to make the opening about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider.

Then I rewound the TP/Paper towels on a piece of caped 1/2 inch pvc with a 3/4 inch floor flange sliped over the 1/2 inch pvc. The cap on the end keeps it from falling off. It was wound up big enough that  I had squeeze it into the belled out opening. as it goes in it gets squeezed tighter all the way around. Once it is completely in the 4 inch pvc, I used a stick to push it farther down the pipe. Once it is down fae enough so that it sets in a bucket but the TP is above the edge of the bucket, I drilled a hole in the 12 inch pvc and pushed in a long rod so it will catch on the top of the pvc pipe to prevent it from falling all the way to the bottom.

I stand it up in a bucket and pour 2 or 3 quarts of wmo into the top and let gravity do it's thing. It takes an hour or two to drain down then I refill it again.

Since you had a problem getting it tight too I guess everybody has that problem unless there is somebody out there with an answer to the problem.

That is what I have so far. It would be nice to find some plans for one you don't have to rewind the tp/paper towels on.

If this is working as good as the franz filter, that racor should never get plugged up. I am going to go with a regular 2 micron final too, I just wanted something like this so I didn't have to go buy primary filters by the truck load LOL.

I didn't have any trouble getting it tight.
Oh man, PLEASE don't just lave me with that, PLEASE tell me how you did it. What did you use for the inside of the TP roll and the larger tube. That is why I had to rewind everything to get a tight fit. This WHY I am asking for how somebody else did it because this is NOT how to do it.

It sounds like you are really into self punishment :)  Rewinding a roll of toilet paper ???  You can no longer guarantee that there are no passages developing.

Like I said, that was how I am doing it, but if you read my origional post creating passageways is a great concern here. I never meant to even suggest that I was doing it correctyl by any means. As a matter of fact I was demonstrating just how ILL-DESIGNED mine is and why I need some help here. How did youi get the toilet paper to be tight enough on the inner part of the roll as well as the outside of thye roll.

How are you planning on ever getting the oil soaked tp mess out of the tube ??? ROFL ..... !!!!

That part is not a problem at all. That is one part that works perfectly. As I mentioned, one end has a glued cap with a floor flange resting against it to prevent the TP from falling off the end as it gets heavy. The other end has a hole and a pin to keep it from falling down all the way into the 4 inch PVC pipe. I simply pull it out the same end I inserted it into. Then I pull the pin, turn it upside down in a 5 galloon bucket and tap it a few times. The old dirty TP falls rite off.

Just for the record, my filter arrangement so far (early in the development cycle) is as follows:

Take a 20 gallon bucket, make a large hole in the bottom. Take a second 20 gallon bucket that is identical to the first one. The buckets need to be identical because they need to be able to nest inside each other (slight taper to the sides).
Take bucket #2 and cut the bottom out completely. Then, cut a ring about 2" wide from the bottom of the bucket with no bottom :).
You now have one complete bucket with a hole in the bottom, one 2"wide section of bucket in a ring shape and a bunch of scrap bucket pieces.

The ring will fit nicely into the holy bucket but only one way around (watch the taper). You take a piece of cloth (or in my case two pieces) lay it over the ring, fold the edges of the cloth over the ring edge and slide the assembly into the holy bucket making sure the cloth stays between the plastic ring and the holy bucket.
As you slide the ring down into the holy bucket it will seat tightly in the lower section of the bucket. You end up with a space good for about 15 gallons of oil to be processed. It works unbelievably well.
In my arrangement I use two clothes, one course and one fine. You could take this to all kinds of different levels by cutting more rings and seat more filtering cloths higher up into the filter bucket.

So , back to the filtering method: The oil comes in and gets dumped into a holding drum. The filter bucket is set up over the secondary holding drum. Whenever I pass by the arrangement I fill the filter bucket with oil from the holding drum. The holding drum also filters out bigger stuff through settlement. The stuff going into the filtering bucket is from the upper section of the settlement/incoming/primary holding tank.
The oil filters through the cloth and ends up in the second tank.
This is about as far as I have gotten in my setup but the plan calls for a gear pump (power steering or old furnace fuel pump) to pump the oil from the secondary tank through the TP filter, through the Racor filter and into the 'ready to use' tank. I may also put the Racor filter between the 'ready to use' tank and the final point of consumption.

I hope this gives you some ideas ....

Thanks a lot for that, but I am beyond a pre filter. I have some10 micron reuseable and cleanable filter screen I pour it through.

What I need is somebody who has already constructed a tp filter or knows of somebody who has or has plans for the finished product. I kbnow the Franz filters go down to or below one micron. I hope thyat the homemade version will just get me closer to 2 micron which is acceptible for diesel fuel. I plan to use a factory made fuel filter, I am just trying to catch as much as possible so as not to plug it up so fast.

What I want to do is to avoid rewinding the tp and then squeezing it into the pvc pipe in such a way that I may be creating tunnels and wrinkles in the TP.

Jens

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:36:35 AM »
I've seen tp rolls up to 10" in places like restaurants, car dealerships, rest areas, etc. I saw one yesterday around 10", VERY tightly packed and it didn't have a hole in the middle. There was a plastic insert with dimples. This should open up a lot of possibilities.

Google this: Commercial Restroom Supplies

Thanks, Geno

rbodell

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
Yes, even tighter than regular TP. Without the center to worry about, that could be an even better filter element.

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:00:56 AM »
rbodell, I used 6" thick wall sewer pipe for my tp filter. ..i decored the tp rolls and slid them down over a piece of 11/4" thinwall sink drain pipe with holes drilled all over it. Cap bottom of 6" pipe and cap 11/4 pipe on bottom  NO Glue on that cap. Then drill hole in top 6" cap and slide down over 11/4 pipe w/decored tp rolls on it . Drill small hole 3" up from bottom of 6" pipe and insert a small tire valve that has been decored and screw on tire cap. Pour oil down into 11/4 pipe and it will filter out through tp to outside cavity of 6" pipe where it will drain out of the tire valve ready to burn. Hope this helps. I posted a pic in coppermine gallery. ???

rbodell

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 10:44:40 AM »
rbodell, I used 6" thick wall sewer pipe for my tp filter. ..i decored the tp rolls and slid them down over a piece of 11/4" thinwall sink drain pipe with holes drilled all over it. Cap bottom of 6" pipe and cap 11/4 pipe on bottom  NO Glue on that cap. Then drill hole in top 6" cap and slide down over 11/4 pipe w/decored tp rolls on it . Drill small hole 3" up from bottom of 6" pipe and insert a small tire valve that has been decored and screw on tire cap. Pour oil down into 11/4 pipe and it will filter out through tp to outside cavity of 6" pipe where it will drain out of the tire valve ready to burn. Hope this helps. I posted a pic in coppermine gallery. ???

Thank you ever so much. That was what I wanted to know. I really appreciate that.

phaedrus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »
I have seen paper-towel element filters, much larger of course than TP types. These are commercial filters.

Anybody here have any experience with making a filter using a paper-towel roll?
if ya don't ask permission they can't deny it...

joe wvo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »
Hi, Ron.

I read about your t.p. filter.  What is 11/4 pipe.  Also, I cannot seem to find the picture that you posted of your filter.

Thanks

Joe

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 01:59:06 AM »
joe wvo, The 11/4" pipe is the type you would find at home depot hooked to a j trap to go under your bathroom sink. The pics are in coppermine gallert. Look at top right of this page and you will see coppermine gallery then search for ronsmith pics.

rbodell

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:02:56 AM »
joe wvo, The 11/4" pipe is the type you would find at home depot hooked to a j trap to go under your bathroom sink. The pics are in coppermine gallert. Look at top right of this page and you will see coppermine gallery then search for ronsmith pics.

I thought you were 4refering to 2 3/4" what diameter is it?

joe wvo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 05:31:02 AM »
Yes, please tell us of the diameter of this 11/4. 

Thanks

Joe wvo

rbodell

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 07:34:14 AM »
OK I think I have it 1 1/4

Thanks

Joe wvo

joe wvo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 03:28:32 AM »
Ha.  1-1/4".   I see.

joe wvo.

OK I think I have it 1 1/4

Thanks

Joe wvo

rbodell

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 03:32:15 AM »
Yeah I can't beleive I missed that one. I was thinking of people who call inch and a quarter 5/4.