Author Topic: injection pump and exhaust update.  (Read 5087 times)

carlb23

• View Profile
injection pump and exhaust update.
« on: May 01, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »
I am in the process of setting up a 6/1 Metro and all has been going well.  It seems if my engine sits for a week or so and I go to start it i am not getting fuel to the injector and i have to crank the engine over for a while before i hear the injector "Crack".  Has anyone had any problems with the injector line bleeding down? I did check the line between the IP and the injector and there are no cracks,  no leaks and the fittings are tight.

Exhaust update:

I needed to install my engine and keep the exhaust quite because our next door neighbor is only about 75' away from the garage which is where the lister resides. I have the exhaust exiting straight out the top of the garage and have tried several mufflers but none would keep it quite enough for me.  What I decided to try was to install a T at the head on the engine.  I then ran a 2.25" exhaust straight up into the muffler and out of the garage this setup was still loud so i put an empty 20LB propane tank connected to the other side of t he T to act as an expansion tank to collect the exhaust and slowly release it while the engine went through its other three strokes. This worked like a charm and now you can't hear the exhaust even 15' away. The only modification I did to the tank was to remove the valve and cut a hole to accept a 1.5" ID black iron pipe and welded it in.

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: injection pump and exhaust update.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 01:51:04 AM »
Hi Your muffler idea sounds good. I don't think any one has tried this idea before.
How about a link to a pic?

I don't know about the injecter problem. There may be an air leak some where between the shutoff valve and th IP.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Stan

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:57:22 AM »
There's a delivery valve under the small spring on the top of the fuel pump.  It fits into a very smooth machined surface that appears to act as a non-return valve.  It's possible that some dirt or wear is making that delivery valve malfunction.  It's easy to check out, it's under the big nut on the top of the fuel pump.  Watch out for the small spring!
Stan

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 02:59:56 AM »
I will take a pic when i get a chance and post it.  In the picture you will not be able to see the muffler since the muffler itself is in the atic but it is a standard 2.25" tubro type muffler I purchashed from summit racing for about 17.00 dollars.  What you will see in the picutre is the T and the plumbing for the expansion tank and the exhaust pipe heading up to the muffler.

I doubt that a air leak between the shutoff valve and the IP would cause the problem since the filter is still full with fuel and I can even see fuel in the injector return line.

I took a good look at the delivery valve and the sealing sufrace and everything looked fine.  No burs or dirt that I could see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Carl

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »
Hi there,
Also the injector can be leaking / bleeding slowly to the bleeding line.
It is just a problem that i faced ones by a 12 cylinder Deutz having start problems. but after hand pumping it started perfect. ???

Greetings from Greece 8)
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

JMW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:19:34 AM »
Carl,

Can you tell us the arrangement/configuration of the T connector? Did the exhaust go straight through to the gas bottle, or straight through to the muffler, or straight through to neither?

Thanks,

Mark

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 02:06:50 PM »
Carl,
Any Pictures or drawings yet. ::)

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:45:58 AM »
I did finally get the fuel system sorted out.  There was a slight bur on the seat of the IP pump.  After i got that sorted out the head gasket started leaking.

The exhaust comes from the engine to the T one side of the T goes up to the muffler and out of the stack on the roof.  The other side of the T is connected to the Bottle. There is no outlet on the Bottle it just acts like an expansion take and bleeds off into the exhaust while the engine goes through its other three strokes.  I didn't get a chance to take any pictures before it took it apart for a leaking head gasket.  I hope to get it back together in the next few weeks and I will take some pictures then.

Carl.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:47:51 AM by carlb23 »

JMW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 12:53:45 AM »
Carl,

It would be great if you could post a picture or too.
We're all still patiently waiting.

Mark

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:43:23 AM »
it sounds as though you have perfected an exhaust chamber to silence the beast very good. many have tryed but not suceeded to tame the exhaust to 15 ft away. glad to hear the feul issue is also ironed out