Puppeteer

Author Topic: Big End Bearing, Replace or not ???  (Read 6327 times)

fireram

Big End Bearing, Replace or not ???
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »
I am in the re assemble process,,  came across this when I was inspecting it..

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/fireram/Lister%20Pics/?action=view&current=IMG_3232.jpg

Looks like cracks in the bearing,  While its out, I may as well replace it,  but wanted some opinions on its condition..  The crank is smooth as glass, and I would like to keep it that way...

So, next question, if replacing this,   HOW??  Does the old one just pop out with some persuasion?  anyone put indian clones on an original?? 

Thanks...

Stan

Re: Big End Bearing, Replace or not ???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:59:33 PM »
they just pop out, I just tapped mine on the lip that curls around the housing.  I put an Indian clone in my original and when I plasti gauged it it was a perfect fit.  No worries.  Just be careful to check the fit by tightening it up according to spec before measuring.  By that I mean 75 - 78 foot pounds because they are 1/2" BSW nuts.  Also make sure your nip is .004 - .006".
Stan
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 05:24:48 PM by Stan »

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »
I've got some NOS Lister-Petter CS big end bearings left over from the mid 90's if you need a set. $20 + 8.10 shipping. They don't fit my GM-90s. Thats the thing with stocking parts, 98% of them just sit on the shelf collecting dust.

Mike

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:10:24 AM »
Mike  -

I am trying to collect a few spare parts for my 20 /2 You got some?? I am having the hardest time getting a fair selection of parts to collect dust on!  "LOL"  :D.
Rob

fireram

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:20:26 AM »
That sounds good mike..  I dont think I will be able to find them localy..  I need them shipped to Ontario.

Should I put the old one back together and plastigauge it first, or am I just stuck with watever I can get and make do??

As for nip,  is that the shim between the two halves??

Thanks guys...

Stan

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:11:44 AM »
Yes, to check the nip you tighten both nuts to 75 ft/lbs and then loosen just one.  The resulting gap should be between .004" and .006". That measurement only needs to be done when fitting new bushings.  Like I said with Indian bushings, mine nipped out at .004" and plasti gauged out to .002" which fell perfectly between the .0015" and .003" as per spec.
Stan

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 12:00:18 AM »
Has anyone noticed the lack of oil grooves in those shells? My originals and their Indian replacements both have oil grooves. I wonder if fireram's are either non original or a really early version.If non original, I wonder what they were off?
 Just pondering in an Idle moment.... :)

Cheers,

Brian

Stan

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 03:23:46 AM »
My original bushings had  oil grooves in them.  I know the engine hadn't been worked on in 30 years so they probably wouldn't have been replaced with Indian bushings back then.
Stan
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:30:01 AM by Stan »

fireram

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 03:33:10 AM »
I do not know when, but at some point in its life the lister had a catastrophic failure in the crank departent.. 

If you look at the other pics, the liner was baddly scored, and the bottom of the Listard liner was broken off in both sides where the flalling crank beat on it as the flywheel momentum wore off...

I do not know what was replaced when it was rebuilt.. Not much as the liner was left as is.. I have since had it re sleeved with a steel liner and got some chrome rings..

So, I would think that the crank, piston, rings, at least were changed, maybe the bearings as well, maybe not....

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
Those shells might have been hand poured, hence the lack of grooves. The hairline cracks could indicate a poor bond of the babbitt to the backing and/or something was beating the crap out of them. I say replace em.

Thanks, Geno