Author Topic: Where's The DOT !!!  (Read 4224 times)

Stan

Where's The DOT !!!
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:40:54 PM »
It has become painfully obvious to me that my recent catastrophic disassembly of my fuel pump has precluded me from accurately assembling said pump, unless I can get some measurement of the rack in it's proper allignment.

My rack has NO DOT  >:( in the position where it is to be alligned with the slot in the flange of the Pinion.  If there is someone out there that has a fuel pump disassembled, or a spare rack with the infamous DOT lying around, could you please  :-* measure the distance the DOT is located from each end of the rack?  Another method would be to count the teeth from the dot to each end.

This will prevent me from assembling the pump, starting the motor, disassembling the pump, adjusting the rack,  reassembling the pump, restarting the motor, ad infinitum, until I can serendipitously arrive at the correct setting.

Stan

Stan

Re: Where's The DOT !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:21:07 AM »
OK...I went to the local spinners and weavers meeting tonight to pick up my wife and the guy who sold Penelope to me had a present for me.  It was the original manual (less the cover).  After much reading I think I know how to set the rack on the fuel pump.  See if you can follow me and if I'm right.

The fuel pump on Penelope is a 12/2 fuel pump as the following section shows.

"To Adjust Fuel Pump Linkage (12/2 & 16/2 Engine)

Fuel pumps are calibrated as indicated by two centre punch marks on the fuel pump rack.  When these are equally disposed about the rack facings on the pump body, the pump is delivering fuel corresponding to full power.  The procedure for adjustment is as follows:-

1  Ensure that both injectors are working satisfactorily.
2  Ensure that compression on both cylinders is satisfactory, if not engine should be decarbonised.
3  Remover split pin from joint pin and remove joint pin from upper governor connecting rod fork on right hand fuel pump, looking at engine from governor linkage side.  Pull back governor connecting rod so tht upper fork clears governor upper lever."

That much is pretty straight forward.  Here comes the meat!

"4 Loosen Locknut on governor connecting rod and adjust fork by screwing up or down so that on re-assembly of governor fork onto upper lever and after insertion of joint pin, it is possible to lift Cut-off hand lever, to fullest extent, without straining linkage and further when in this position, by applying pressure to the end of the fuel pump rack, a slight movement is obtainable."

It goes on to describe doing the same thing to the other pump.

It should be possible using this method, to find out if the rack was inserted in the fuel pump properly by doing this procedure after re-assembly.  Shouldn't it?
Stan
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:25:05 AM by Stan »

listerLD19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »
How did it go Stan ?

Stan

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:52:48 AM »
HI Andrew....not much news on Penelope, now if you want the full story on building a front on the carport and installing 2 garage doors...... :(
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 03:11:26 AM »
I know all about that.

I have all the flooring ripped up in the house and walls coming down.

Summer time renovations eat into hobby time...
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
The alignment marks are there to stop you assembling the element plunger the wrong way around.

I'll check one of our pumps later, but I think that the markings may have been deleted over the years as more and more pumps were changed as an assembly rather than being serviced.

The critical thing is to make sure that the element plunger cannot be at full fuel with the governor at the lowest speed or 'off' position, as it cannot get any lower than that and you'll have an engine runaway on your hands..

Peter