Alternative fuels > Bio-diesel Fuel

Tyson- Conoco/Phillips Biodiesel politics

(1/34) > >>

biobill:
 Another shinning example of corporate America's values.

http://nbb.grassroots.com/EPA_AskTheAdministrator_Details/?lk=5253840-5253840-0-26468-j7-Ia3j3/ugoRq4rf3J/jr9-fu94F1zI

Bill

SCOTT:
Bill
What exactly is the problem you see here?  What is it htat you find offensive?  I as an owner of various public companies (and anyone who has a pension or 401K) expect that these public companies do everything in their power to maximize returns for shareholders (you and me).  That is their fiduciary duty, and nothing less than their best efforts is acceptable.  If this goes to the next level and the courts find that they do not qualify for the blending incentive then they do not get them. 

Personally I do not think they should get the credits, but as a shareholder I expect them they try.

Scott

biobill:

--- Quote from: SCOTT ---  What is it htat you find offensive?  I as an owner of various public companies (and anyone who has a pension or 401K) expect that these public companies do everything in their power to maximize returns for shareholders (you and me)

--- End quote ---

No, not me. I won't be a part of it.  What you said is exactly what I find so offensive. "everything in their power to maximize returns". Nothing matters but the almighty dollar and anything in the way is expendable. People, communities, countries, social responsibility, ecosystems,  environments, fairness, truth, are all secondary to the persuit of money. We were all a bit smug back in 91 when the Soviet Union fell apart. Capitalism triumphs over Communism! Didn't really notice that it was doing a number on Democracy too.

So here we have two huge corporations trying to "get the money" that was intended to help the fledgling biodiesel industry. And thats OK?
                                                      Bill   

SCOTT:
Bill

If you have a pension, 401K, mutual fund, etc you are likely invested in public companies.  It is the OBLIGATION of these public companies to maximize profits for shareholders.  It is also their obligation to work within the law to do so, this is assumed but let me state it another way:  one should expect any public company to do everything in their power to legally maximize returns.  By the way I don’t believe anyone has suggested Conoco or Tyson is doing anything illegal or underhanded.  They submitted a plan for producer credits that was (after review) approved. 

So what is the problem here, a big company has teamed up with another big company and developed a new process?  Would the objection be so loud if it were a little company from your home state that teamed up with Tyson?  The fact is that in order for these processes to make economical sense you need scale, scale with inputs which Tyson offers and scale with production capacity which Conoco offers.  Without the scale each offers to the other the project would not be worth the effort. Conoco is using production assets and technology it already had, this is not something a startup is going to have available.

What is the downside to this project?  A new use for slaughter house waste is found and more fuel is supplied to the country?

--- Quote ---Nothing matters but the almighty dollar and anything in the way is expendable. People, communities, countries, social responsibility, ecosystems,  environments, fairness, truth, are all secondary to the persuit of money.
--- End quote ---

The upside is that new jobs are created for people in the community,  Conoco and Tyson are acting as socially responsible corporate citizens, the ecosystem is bettered by removing waste from the waste stream, environmentalists should be happy waste is reduced. In terms of fairness any other company large or small could have embarked on this type of project, but none did, Conoco and Tyson were the ones willing to take the risk as such they should reap the reward.  I would be willing to bet that this project yeilds a lower ROI than the vast majority of those Conoco works on.  In that respect they are infact doing their part to help the enviornment, and without the credits it probably not happen because it would cost too much.  Please understand they are not doing this because there is a huge amount of money in it, they can make more in a day pumping oil than his project will make all year.

The worst case scenario is that every gallon the Conoco/ Tyson project produces displaces one gallon of oil from a country hostile to the United states!

Scott

wldhoss:
YEP, You can trust your car to the man who wears the star.  Big oil is your friend, Bull Shit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version