Author Topic: what did i do  (Read 4041 times)

WHITEOX3

• View Profile
what did i do
« on: April 20, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
My topic is gone ? I was trying to find out if my diesel motor is to heavy for my boat.( A few facts )
It's a Chinese Diesel, 12hp raw water cooled hydraulic trans electric start and crank made by DONG TONG but it weighs 350 kg. The boat is a 16ft.alum  flat bottom. and it might be a old navy tender.(aust} it is built to a very high standard as at one time it had a inboard installed. Still trying to find out more about the boat can anyone give me any advice please thanks

Stan

Re: what did i do
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:32:13 PM »
Difficult to say without seeing a pic of the boat and motor.  350KG sounds waaay to heavy for a 16 foot boat of any kind.  350 Kg sounds close to 771.60493 lbs which is heavier than a Lister 6/1!  ???
Stan

haganes

• captain
    • View Profile
    • Haganes Cruises of Southeast Asia
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
350 kg is a little heavy for a 16 ft boat.  depending on the boat it could be up to half of the load carrying ability.  the bigger issue is the structure of the boat.........how to spread the load and torque/vibration along the hull so the engine does not rip the boat apart.

captain steven
B & W Alpha 404 (280 hp @ 350 rpm)
Mercedes D231 (100 hp)
Lister TS2
Lister TR1
GTC 10/1 Listeroid

WHITEOX3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:37:18 AM »
Thanks guys this is what was in the back of my little brain, I do have a changfa 3.3 hp this will fit in with out a gear box it's hopper cooled . but I am not sure if I would be able to hand crank it with the prop in the water . and I am sure water is going to fly out of the hopper when I hit a wave perhaps i can make up a larger hopper. any help is always welcome' Thanks don

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »
When I was in China I saw hundreds of boats using the horizontal singles. A boat of around 30' used one engine. The 100'+ barges used from 3 to 5 20 hp engines on a line shaft. They started as many engines as needed to haul the load. These barges were loaded with dirt from dredging, iron ore, or scrap steel, ect and were loaded to the point that the barge was only 4-5" out of the water! A single bow wave from another boat would have sunk them! The water rules in Suzhou were that in the city canals only one engine could be run. On the open canals all 5 were belted up and were moving hundreds of tons of material.

I've been through the Changfa factory and they have a very good operation. There are, however, many other very good brands of the same style engine available. The Laidong factory also builds nice engines but is more oriented to 3, 4, and 6 cylinder diesels for heavy equipment, trucks, buses, and automobiles. They do build a very nice horizontal engine too. I've got a stack of brochures and manuals from the various factories over a foot thick from all of the factories I visited. I went to China with another importer and by a gentleman's agreement we decided that we wouldn't step on each others toes. He sells Changfa type engines and I sell Lister type engines.

Mike Montieth
Listeroids/USA

haganes

• captain
    • View Profile
    • Haganes Cruises of Southeast Asia
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:52:49 AM »
i can tell you that you can crank and hand start a changfa 3.3 hp with the prop in the water.  on the other hand you can build a 'long tail' as the thai's do.  many thai's use horizontal engines in the long tail.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8144

captain steven
B & W Alpha 404 (280 hp @ 350 rpm)
Mercedes D231 (100 hp)
Lister TS2
Lister TR1
GTC 10/1 Listeroid