Author Topic: Power Burst = Mini Grid  (Read 14455 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: Power Burst = Mini Grid
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 07:35:14 PM »
Not just any transformer.  It must be a Feroresonnant type, they act as a capacitor to smooth out power, its what the cheap UPS's use to provide ride through on a power interruption so they can go online.
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

dwkdnvr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 06:51:29 PM »
Why oversize a generator when you can get an inverter like this?  Cost!!  Look at the price tag on one of those units and a couple of batteries.  My whole 25/2 & 20kW cost less than that.  However, they are a REAL nice product - and I want one.........bad..

Steve

Well, I really tihnk it depends on your target usage. If you're talking about an emergency backup plan for an on-grid application, you're probably right - lots of complexity and cost for little benefit. If you're off-grid, I think the situation is more complicated. I can't imagine being off-grid without solar or wind, so it's already a given that you're going to have batteries and an inverter - the alternative is running a genset 24/7 and even if a Lister is theoretically capable of this, the fuel cost, noise, maintenance etc make it unattractive. So, if you are targetting a hybrid solar/genset solution, the Xantrex is great as it allows the opportunity to 'right size' each piece of the system, rather than having to size each for peak capacity.  In my case, this makes a 6/1 a (potentially) viable option, as ~3.5kW is obviously undersized for any full-time use.

What amazes me is that the Xantrex SW series seem to be the only inverter that has this 'generator support' mode at the moment.  This is such a mind-bogglingly useful feature that I don't understand why more don't provide it.  Now  that I know about it, I consider it an absolute slam-dunk must-have in my system.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 11:41:02 PM »
dwkdnvr -

Try outback.com as well.  Their inverters have some generator support.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 05:32:46 AM »
The Xantrex inverters will do almost every thing the above mention system does except for the 3 phase power.
The Outback.com inverters I mentioned above do three-phase.  Further, you can join them in serial or parallel for interesting results.   (I am not affiliated with Outback).

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »
I meant http://www.outbackpower.com not outback.com.