Puppeteer

Author Topic: A different combination: Deutz.  (Read 3623 times)

kltrider

• View Profile
A different combination: Deutz.
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:30:05 PM »
As I posted in another area, I have this honkin' big battery, and have decided to use a
Xantrex sine wave inverter stacked for 220 on 2 legs. 4 wire standard household current.
When I went to my engine distributors' warehouse i saw an F3M2011, 3 cylinder externally
oil cooled engine that was damaged in shipping. Very minor damage, and now it's mine.
I want to drive a 15 kw ST head through a double u-joint shaft similar to a tractor PTO.
Now here's the question: Has anyone on the forum tried a 6 pole head, and if so are there
any problems I can anticipate? This would allow me to turn at 1200, still be in the power
range and be quieter. If this hasn't been done I have alternate things to try, but I trully believe
in the KISS method.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: A different combination: Deutz.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:00:09 AM »
Make absolutely sure that both U-joint end shafts are parallell. If you do not the alternator end will speed up and slow down through each revolution and introduce flicker and vibration as well as early wear.  Nothing to worry about using a 6 pole alternator head that I can see, in fact I`m desperately searching for one myself to use in my big wind turbine.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:33:21 AM »
  I've thought about this before.  how about using CV joints instead of U-joints.  They will handle a much larger angle and don't have the speed up/speed down problem.  So you eliminate the speed variation.   
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:20:34 AM »
You're planning on turning the 4-pole ST head at 1200 instead of 1800, right?  And the 40 Hz power is OK, since you're just turning it to DC anyway?

Seems OK to me.  You should plan to derate the output voltage by the same (2/3) ratio.  It should be able to still deliver its full rated current.   How do you plan to regulate the alternator output?

Or am I way off here and you have a  6-pole ST head?

Were it me, I'd do away with the driveshaft, if possible, and use a Lovejoy or similar coupling, though.

Jim

kltrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 04:05:24 PM »
Jim Mc: 
Sorry, I thought I was clearer than I guess I was. I was going to run a 6 pole unit,
But with the purchase of the 2 new-to-me used Deka batteries, for a total of 3 huge
battery packs, my plan needs to change.
I will still use a generator, but will now look at direct couple units like an ST20 and
run at 1800.  This is the similar to what I build for airfields, only on a smaller scale.
bitsnpieces1:
If you think of it this way, the shaft I was going to use would have been in effect a
"double cardin style CV joint"  since the precession of the joints is transmitted to
the shaft by the first joint, and and to the driven load by the second joint, as long as
they are in the proper phase angles. Think late sixties RWD Cadillac forward U joint.
This was / is a double joint , same as mine, simply MUCH closer coupled.
 Sorry to confuse: Wayne.