Author Topic: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type  (Read 54692 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2007, 03:30:16 AM »
I have noticed that the rocker arm on the intake valve is about 50% off the head of the valve stem.  I'm reluctant to try bending the rocker arm for fear that is made of cast iron or something else that doesnt bend.  Have thought of getting a slightly longer shaft (that the rockers pivot on), and shimming the intake rocker out 5 or 10 mm until its dead on the valve stem.

Anybody been there, done that???

Zeke

It ought to be easy enough to whack the top of the valve keeper over with a hammer, bending the valve stem a bit so the valvestem is centered under the rocker no?    Kidding...I`m just K-I-D-D-I-N-G.   :D

If it is tight under the valve cover like my JD175 there will not be any room to extend the rocker shaft and shim the rockers to stick farther out.  Can you fabricate a larger diameter valve stem cap that the rocker tip pushes on?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2007, 03:34:02 AM »
I'm sure I could.  The ones on my listeroid look and feel like aluminum.  What would be normal stock to use?
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2007, 12:29:56 AM »
Wow!  Found a good use for sloppy clearances. 

By loosening the mounting nuts on the rocker arm, and re-arranging the spacer washers, I'm able tp move the whole assembly over enough to get both arms  about 90% centered on the ends of the valve stems.  Had to order some 16mm shim washers from mcmaster to fill in some empty space, but looks like it will work.  I had already made by first attempt at a valve cap by the time I figured this out.  I tossed it into the junk bin for future use.  Who knows, I get a lot of good parts out of the junk bin.

Zeke

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2007, 06:05:25 AM »
Way to go there Zeke!  Sometime you can actually get lucky.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2007, 03:34:06 AM »
Closure,
I have essentially finished my Changfa type 15kw gen set.  The ST head had lost residual magnetism, but by running it under load with an external field power source, the magnetism has returned. 

I think I will run this gen set with an external field excitation anyway, since the quality of the output is much better this way.  I'm using a Chinee variac, thru an Indian bridge rectifier, thru Japanese filter caps.  The output is very clean, and someday I will put it to the ultimate test and try to run a microwave oven.  I've managed to produce 48 amps max @ 220V and this is close enough to the max power that I'm happy with it.

My attention is now turned to my listeroid 20-2, which is re-assembled and will be ready to run soon.  Will continue to update on my Lovson 20-2 thread.

Zeke

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2007, 08:06:42 AM »
Excellent news Zeke!  That is a powerful one cylinder diesel generator.  Do you get lamp flicker with a lot of load?  Remind me,  Is this direct drive or belt?

I am finally at the stage of preparing my projects frame for painting.  I removed the two gen heads and muffler today and started grinding and sanding the welds and corners.  I shot a coat of paint on my big end beltway screen cover.  My frame will be the dark Forest Green.

You asked for suggestions about color for your twin Listeroid in the other project post, suggesting that you were leaning towards gloss black.  I personally think these engines look much better in the forest or hunter darkish green than they would in black.  Black would work for me only if many items including valve cover were to be show chromed.  We here are much too sensible to worry about wasting precious resources on show chrome.   :D
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »
Zeke, as you know I'm restoring a Lister 6/1 and have taken pains to make it "historically accurate" just so I can see exactly what she looked like the day she came out of the factory at Dursley.  Dark Lister green, with black radiator parts, red rad fan and shiny brass parts (rad cap, oil pump, hose fittings, etc.) is a great combination.  I can't believe they made them this fancy back then.  I'ts almost as if they had a special edition vs the regular engine.  I hope to have her back together in a couple of weeks, will post pics then.
Stan

Stan

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2007, 12:53:29 AM »
Now I have to source and order a good set of decals, the arrow, the logo and the "Lister" word.
Stan

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2007, 03:31:38 AM »
Now I have to source and order a good set of decals, the arrow, the logo and the "Lister" word.
Stan

You said the `L` word.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2007, 03:35:42 AM »
Zeke, as you know I'm restoring a Lister 6/1 and have taken pains to make it "historically accurate" just so I can see exactly what she looked like the day she came out of the factory at Dursley.  Dark Lister green, with black radiator parts, red rad fan and shiny brass parts (rad cap, oil pump, hose fittings, etc.) is a great combination.  I can't believe they made them this fancy back then.  I'ts almost as if they had a special edition vs the regular engine.  I hope to have her back together in a couple of weeks, will post pics then.
Stan

Since the racing strip had apparently not been invented yet, I can see them getting carried away with different colours :)

Jens

Jens is just trying to get my goat.   ;D  Thing is, I have none.  Some time ago I culled my herd of goats except for the ones with racing stripes.  Shortly after that the stripe equipped goats, apparently wise to a pending termination in their contract, all ran off.  :(
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:33 AM »
I saw one of those goats with the stripe the other day.  Wondered where it came from.

On the flicker question.....you know, I've hooked the rig up to just about averything in sight--except a light.  Next time I have it running I will definitely try some lights.  Have already decided I wont have any incandescents in the place-too inefficient.  Will use all fluorescents and LEDs.

Looking at rolls batteries.  Just love the 2VDC cells that weigh the same as an 8D truck battery and develop 1250AH.  6 of these brutes would make a pretty good house battery.  Then a 3KW inverter with a 125A charger and I'd be in business.  Used the Heart marine inverters when I lived on the boat and really liked them.

Zeke

yellowhead

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2009, 11:22:40 PM »
Hi Zeke:

How did that Chinese coupler hold up? I've been thinking of using one in a similar application (195 coupled to an ST-7.5) as they can be had on eBay quite cheaply. If they can handle your larger set then I'm hoping I'll be fine.

Thanks,

Simon.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »
Simon, i believe Zeke has left the forum, we had a problem with "gmail" causing spam & several people felt it was not worth thier time to get a 2nd e-mail address to use on the forum. sad i know but these things happen some times.

scott r.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

yellowhead

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2009, 01:13:13 AM »
OK, Scott. Thanks for the heads up. I too use gmail but signed up while I was in the UK. As a result I have a googlemail.com address even though the equivalent gmail.com address is a synonym. At the time I found this a bit annoying; in retrospect maybe its a good thing. Technology ...

Simon.