Puppeteer

Author Topic: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type  (Read 54709 times)

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2007, 12:50:41 AM »

Muffler installed.  5/8" thick steel flange, to sched. 80 nipple, to sched 40 ell, to heavy wall aluminum pipe, to muffler.
Zeke
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:54:25 AM by okiezeke »
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2007, 03:38:47 AM »
I'm a little concerned the vibration + weight might crack the head, snap bolts or studs and or cause some other damage. But I don't know the engine so It all just a guess.

Condensate might run down the pipe as things cool and cause rust.

Not trying to be a party pooper, I just had vissions of a brace for the up stack and possibly one of those issolation unions with the flexable braid. A condensate trap wouldn't be hard to make.

I love the flooring and counter tops, also noce looking cabnets....

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2007, 12:54:57 AM »
Doug,
Me too about the weight.  Main reason I chose alum. pipe for the riser.  I'm thinking about shortening the up pipe, might help.  Muffler weighs just a few pounds, but the running vibration could tear the whole thing apart.  Could launch the muffler into low earth orbit.  I'll look into isolation braid.  If I get into vibration trouble I'll just have to brace the thing to the metal skid.  Should be easy to do as it's all steel and I can weld support where I need it.

House pics are the parents house.  We took care of them in their last years, and now are trying to sell the place in the depressed real estate market.  Neighbors/realtors told us the best thing we could do for the place was to completely remodel the kitchen.  Countertops are real granite.  Wife and I did the oak floors a few years back.  Revenue from sale of the house will put us on our mountaintop in Oklahoma....... someday.

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2007, 02:20:34 AM »

Neighbors/realtors told us the best thing we could do for the place was to completely remodel the kitchen.  Countertops are real granite.  Wife and I did the oak floors a few years back.  Revenue from sale of the house will put us on our mountaintop in Oklahoma....... someday.

Keep the floor and counters and park new cabinets and appliances between them (or even just have the cabinets fronts replaced).  Kitchen 'age' or 'vintage' is one of the first things I look at in a house.  Mechanicals/basement are second (furnace, hotwater heater, a/c, etc.).  A real 70's or 80's vintage kitchen brings up too many childhood memories (avocado, burnt orange, brown - GAK!) and will turn me off to the whole house.

Chris

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2007, 02:29:33 AM »
I realy like that kitchen!

Must be an American thing, but when you buy or sell a home in Canada, you keep your kitchen apliances.

Some people take their bathroom fixtures ( finlanders generaly lol )

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2007, 02:38:25 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for the ideas.  We had just redone the entire house a few years back.  Unfortunately, the folks wanted it to look old timey, so we're removing wallpaper, redoing bathroom floors, repainting everything that's not off white(folks liked pink a lot).  Heck of a lot of work, but house is in a very nice area, nice view, big lot, and was worth a lot 2 years ago.  If we cant get our price this summer, we'll just wait a year and hope the market improoves.

Doug,
Strange how customs differ.  Here it can go either way on kitchen appliances and washers and dryers.  Lots of folks have their own and want to put them into their new place.
Zeke

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2007, 02:41:34 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for the ideas.  We had just redone the entire house a few years back.  Unfortunately, the folks wanted it to look old timey, so we're removing wallpaper, redoing bathroom floors, repainting everything that's not off white(folks liked pink a lot).  Heck of a lot of work, but house is in a very nice area, nice view, big lot, and was worth a lot 2 years ago.  If we cant get our price this summer, we'll just wait a year and hope the market improoves.

Sure thing.  Also, don't forget - what I like could be VERY different from what someone else likes.  I like that retro 60's Scandinavian look (minimalist, etc.)  The wife HATES it.  She likes the kitchy country look (hearts, cows, etc.) which makes me want to puke.  We compromise and both get a little of each.  So, it's all up to the buyer and what THEY like.

However, I can deal with almost ANY decor provided it is well maintained and CLEAN, unless it's just absolutely hideous.  That kitchen in the pictures would be perfectly livable to me, no problem at all.  It IS quite nice.  I have also come to learn after a short 37 years that the size of your house, car, and/or how much money you have is meaningless if you're not happy with the rest of your life (relationships, family, friends, God, etc.).

Chris

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2007, 04:33:27 AM »
Yep,
Wife and I lived on a very small sailboat for 5 years and loved it.  We had about 75 sq feet of living space.  Our next house will be 30' by 30'.  Plenty big for the two of us.
Zeke

ps  The house attached to the kitchen is 3600 sq ft with a big double garage.  5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath.   Will never understand why my folks wanted so much house just for just the two of them.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2007, 12:53:29 AM »

My latest addition.  Off the shelf from McMaster.  Intake filter and silencer.  Next move is to bolt engine to frame and fire it up and see how everything works.  Shouldn't take me much more than a month. ;)

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2007, 01:35:01 PM »
My latest addition.  Off the shelf from McMaster.  Intake filter and silencer.  Next move is to bolt engine to frame and fire it up and see how everything works.  Shouldn't take me much more than a month. ;)

I installed one on my R185 ChangFa.  I made up an entirely new intake manifold, but I could have just stuck it on top of what I already had for a stub after removing the original oil bath unit.  I still coupled the manifold to the filter with a short stub of radiator hose and clamps to absorb vibration and not stress the manifold welds, etc. rather than threading it all together.  It definitely helped quiet the intake honk, but it's still louder than the exhaust after adding my big round NAPA muffler.  The new filter is FAR better quality and will filter much better, also.

Chris

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2007, 09:23:49 AM »
First start,

I finally got everything together and decided it was time to start 'er up.  I hooked up the jumper cables, opened the pressure release. filled it up with rotella D, antifreexe solution, and diesel fuel, and hit the starter solenoid and it turned over briskly.  I loostened the banjo nut on the injector and turned it over until I had diesel coming out the line, re-tightened the nut, Released the compression lever and it fired up on the first compression stroke.

I have the whole gen set up on two 1000lb furniture dollies for moving around in the garage, and left it up on wheels for the first run.  It rapidly stabilized at about a 600 rpm idle and I let it idle for a few minutes.  Noise was bearable with the tractor muffler.  Couldnt hear any intake noise with the McMaster air filter/silencer.  Mostly mechanical and normal diesel knocking.  Overall, about the level of a loud lawnmower.

After a few minutes I opened the rack to 1800 rpm and after a second of governor hunting it ran smoothly.  No visible vibration.  No movement of the gen set on the wheel dollies.  Could easily have set my glass of water anywhere on the set. 

This thing runs really smooth.  The counterbalance shaft concept seems to be doing what it claims to do.  I havent run it up past 2000 rpm, and may never since I'm direct coupled to the ST.

So far the weichai gets an A+.  Starts and runs great.  Just one very slow drip from the fuel filter housing that I havent bothered to fix yet.

Speaking of the ST....it's dead. No output at all.  I checked all the wiring and components and everything seems to be in place.  I flashed the field with 12V and read 90VAC across the 220 leads, but it wouldnt go on its own.  I'm going to load up the 1750 lb monster on my trailer and haul it to the local friendly generator repairman today and let him take a look.  Seems to have lost all residual magnetism.  I put a powerful lifting magnet up against the rotor a few days ago, and let it sit there, but havent started it up again as I worked the weekend.

I'll try it again before I load it up for the trip.  Mabe the magnet has done some good....I hope.  If all else fails I can get a DC motor controller from Surplus center that puts out 0-130VDC at 8 amps, and I'll  feed the field with that.  Not the ideal solution, but should work.

I'm open to suggestions.

Zeke

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »
I'll try it again before I load it up for the trip.  Mabe the magnet has done some good....I hope.  If all else fails I can get a DC motor controller from Surplus center that puts out 0-130VDC at 8 amps, and I'll  feed the field with that.  Not the ideal solution, but should work.

I'm open to suggestions.

Zeke

Make sure you check all the wiring terminals, maybe one is crimped over insulation rather than wire, making it LOOK ok, but it's not.  Could be a bad rectifier bridge, other bad components you can't see, maybe the slip ring brushes aren't making good contact (or alignment), maybe there is something loose on the brush gear inside the endbell, or maybe the thing is miswired right from the factory?

My rule - 90% of all electrical problems are mechanical.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
I've checked all connections.  I read low resistance(1-10 ohms) across the field, main windings, and harmonic windings.  resistance from the control box for the rotor windings is the same as at the brush rings.  When running, there is no voltage across the harmonic windings, 2 or 3 volts across the 220V output wires, and no output from the bridge.  When I put 12VDC from a battery across the field input wires, I get 90VAC output across the 220V output wires.  This seems to show that the wires are properly identified?  Going to try it again this morning after 4 days with the magnet next to the field, then off to the generator shop.

Thanks for the ideas.
Zeke

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 02:59:50 AM »
More fun,
I noticed a lot of condensate in the exhaust manifold.  I removed the muffler pipe and had more than condensate.  I had a slow but steady flow of what looked a lot like antifreeze.

I pulled the head and put on a new head gasket.  Really a simple 20 min. job.  Unfortunately the leak was unchanged.  I had a spare head, so I put it on and NO LEAK!  I adjusted the valves, and it started right up and ran fine.  Looks like the original head had a casting defect that connected the water jacket to the exhaust manifold.

I kind of adjusted the valves by eye.  If anyone has valve clearances for a changfa-type, I'd appreciate the info.  The owners manual neglected to include this info.

My initial report of running at 400 rpm was in error.  I had my shaft tach upside down.  It really runs very smoothly from 800-2000rpm.  Seems very happy at 1800.  I'm still running it on wheeled furniture dollys with no problems.  Very smooth.

Zeke

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2007, 03:08:29 AM »
I have noticed that the rocker arm on the intake valve is about 50% off the head of the valve stem.  I'm reluctant to try bending the rocker arm for fear that is made of cast iron or something else that doesnt bend.  Have thought of getting a slightly longer shaft (that the rockers pivot on), and shimming the intake rocker out 5 or 10 mm until its dead on the valve stem.

Anybody been there, done that???

Zeke