Puppeteer

Author Topic: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type  (Read 54706 times)

okiezeke

• View Profile
Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:34:27 PM »
Latest toy.  My new 25hp Changfa style.  Soon to be direct coupled to a ST-15kw, at reduced output, due to rpm reduction from 2200 to 1800.  So far everything looks fine.  Fit and finish and castings all seem 1st world.  Came with extensive parts kit(extra 250.00).  Piston,rings, rod, big end bearings, complete head, starter, fuel pump, injector, direct coupling, and a ton of smaller stuff and tools, some of which, I have no idea, yet, what it is.  For example, I seem to have 3 heavy duty rectifiers,  firmly potted in plastic with large aluminum heat sinks.  Haven't found anything to rectify yet, but when I do I'll be in great shape!.  Manual is fairly readible, with the usual translational challenges.  Isnt it funny, that when they use the totally wrong word, you can still kind of tell what they meant.

Shroud around radiator is off.  Really nice of these folks to think to include a generator room light.  With thinking like this, we'd all better start learning Chineese.  Engine half of direct coupler installed on flywheel.

Similar view, showing head

The direct coupler.  The 6 rods that carry the load appear to be nylon, 0.6" dia.  Will have to have the ST end of the coupler bored and re-keyed to match ST shaft.  Seems very heavy duty.  Do wonder a little about the nylon rods, but I suppose an engineer, somewhere on the planet, thought they would carry the load??
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:40:59 PM by okiezeke »
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:04:11 AM »
Another whole day in the workshop.  Sure am glad I don't need these generators right now, or I'd freeze and my food would thaw.  I bought more steel(I know, this is a city boy thing to do.  Real survivalists have tons of assorted steel in their front yards, in between the old trucks)  Anyway, another $80.00 for some very heavy steel to mount my engine and ST to the skid/frame.  Most of the afternoon fitting, checking, mounting the Weichai and the ST, to make sure everything will fit, then taking them back off and to the garage.  Then welding it all together.  I have managed to make a generator that is so heavy that I probably cant move it in one piece.  EPA should be happy.  This thing is VERY stationary.  I'm guessing 400lbs or so for the frame.

The Frame.  Takes me and momma both to move this thing...think I have really went and made it much stronger than it needs to be.  Such is the way of the ignorant.

I just love the ST 15kw.  They're just so.....Big.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 02:29:54 AM »
Something to rectify??
Well, I found a possible candidate for something to rectify on the Weichai 25hp.  The belt driven fan on the radiator has wires coming out of it.  Since its belt driven, it really doesnt seem to need wires.  Owner's manual doesnt say anything about an alternator anywhere.  And so far, these are the only wires I've found that dont seem to be doing anything.  Anyone seen such a thing on a Changfa-type?

Stan

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:24:17 AM »
If that is your alternator, what a cool way to mount it  :-*
Stan

kltrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:59:45 AM »
On the Kubotas I use, this is the wiring for a PMA, or Dynamo as they call it. 
Check your documentation for a refference to any charging system included
with this engine. My  John Deere also has one of them under / inside of the fan.
Since I'm asking, can we know where you bought it? If it's as good as a "real"
Changfa, I might want one.
All the best, Wayne.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:10:17 AM »
Wayne,
The engine was on ebay.  The dealer is in Ohio.  He says he'll have some more in a few months.  Tim, at tresch@ameritech.net   I'm going to get it mounted to the ST and run it some with the stock fuel tank and radiator just to see how it does.  So far, it looks well made.  Will see how it runs.
Zeke

Biloxibad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »
Zeke, the fan is an alternator, puts out about 10 amps,   If your 25 is anything like my 28 you will be abandoning it though as it is part of the engine plate that the radiatior mounts to ,  the radiator on mine self destructed in about 10 hours..

I abandoned the fan when i put on a separate cooling system and use a 110v battery charger t otop off the battery.

Steve
Metro lister6/1
Jiang Ling zx1125
ST15
Baldor 20 3 ph 3450
Baldor 10 Hp single phase 1750

Stan

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »
Don't throw those fans out, they would be perfect to run from a Lister keeping it cool and generating some DC as well.
Stan

By the way the webshots site just tried to load several very bad popups and cookies onto my computer  ???

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »
Steve,
Sorry to hear the radiator was poorly made.  I had some doubts when I ordered the Weichai, pig in a poke that it is.  But the dealer seemed nice and promised me he has sold hundreds of these without problems(where have we heard that before?).  Real Changfas seem all but impossible to come by, so I guess its up to folks like you and me to buy a clone of a clone of a......  and see if there's any good quality available.  I'm planning on starting mine as soon as the coupler returns from the machinist.  Stock muffler and all.  See how long it takes for the police to arrive to see what the racket is all about.
Zeke

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:41:35 PM »
Stan,
I'll definately save the alternator/fan.  Could come in handy.  So far, (knock on wood) the dirty popups and other junk haven't penetrated my 3 layers of security.  Probably just a matter of time, though.
Zeke

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 01:21:36 AM »

Here's the engine and the ST sitting on the frame in rough alignment.

All that is left to do is mount the coupling and fine alignment.

Stan

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 01:34:20 AM »
The dirty pop ups and nasty cookies don't do me any harm, but I do get a report on what has tried.  I've got 3 layers of security using software and 1 hardware firewall.  I think I'm going to investigate linux.
Stan

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 03:43:31 AM »
Stan,
It's what life has come too in todays world.  All the modern conveniences come at a price.  Dont think I'd want to go back to the days before air conditioning, though.
Zeke

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 03:50:05 AM »
Steve,
When your engine is running does it jump around a lot?  I figure my whole rig weighs 1300 or so.  Could be exciting if it decided to jump up into the air and squash something(like me).  I do subscribe to the cubic yard of concrete school.  But hope to run this rig some here in surburbia before I get it permanently mounted down in Okie-land.  Thanks,
Zeke

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 04:55:20 AM »
Steve,
When your engine is running does it jump around a lot?  I figure my whole rig weighs 1300 or so.  Could be exciting if it decided to jump up into the air and squash something(like me).  I do subscribe to the cubic yard of concrete school.  But hope to run this rig some here in surburbia before I get it permanently mounted down in Okie-land.  Thanks,
Zeke

Zeke,

Get yourself a new slab of cow mat  or agricultural mat or whatever they call it at your local farm supply outlet.  It is a rubber type compound mat about 5/8 inch thick by 4x6 feet that ought to work well between your frame and the bare cement floor to keep it from walking around and will allow a bit of vibration with shock absorbing action.  They cost around $50 each.  If it comes large enough cut in half and use double thickness.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion