Author Topic: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type  (Read 54705 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Weichai 1115, 25hp Changfa-type
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 02:45:17 AM »
Ya that would be me Zeke. And it was real easy, or rather Dave the welder makes it look easy lol....

Here's the fabricated intake, I need to update soon. I've made more changes.....
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4924460

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 03:13:54 PM »
Doug,
That's great.  Looks like he started with a pipe flange, then just plumbing.  I could do that too, but might no look so pretty.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2007, 06:50:21 AM »
# 24 hydraulic hose fittings for intake and exhaust # 16 for coolant.

Cut, welded and draw filed flat.

Actualy quite easy by the time I made tha last one.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4919055
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4919054

Upper coolant outlet and partialy finnished remotoe thermostat in mach up at " Petterod labs " a mile and half bellow the earth safe from prying eyes......

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:30 PM »

Upper coolant outlet and partially finished remote thermostat in match up at " Petteroid labs " a mile and half below the earth safe from prying eyes......

It's a cut-throat industry - Petteroid modification!  The lengths you have to go to to avoid your designs and plans being stolen and copied.  :D

RC

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
Doug,
I'm certainly guilty.  I just got my 2" pipe flange.  Will take it down to my local machinist for trimming and bolt holes.  McMaster even had a high temp(800 degree) gasket for the flange.  Flange will bolt on, then 2" npt threads from there on.  Will take a standard 2-3/8" ID muffler pipe, which are avail on ebay for diesel tractors.  Will also check local parts stores, might get one cheaper.

The Intake side has a two hole flange mounting.  Figure I can make a matching flange and weld it to 2" pipe and I can put the same muffler on the intake side.  Would be easier to mount intake muffler inboard of the air filter.  Would this likely work?

From your pics of Gus, doesn't look like there's much you haven't rebuilt or replaced.  Ol' Gus should run like a Swiss watch when you get him back together.

ZEKE

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2007, 04:17:54 AM »
Doug,
I'm certainly guilty.  I just got my 2" pipe flange.  Will take it down to my local machinist for trimming and bolt holes.  McMaster even had a high temp(800 degree) gasket for the flange.  Flange will bolt on, then 2" npt threads from there on.  Will take a standard 2-3/8" ID muffler pipe, which are avail on ebay for diesel tractors.  Will also check local parts stores, might get one cheaper.

The Intake side has a two hole flange mounting.  Figure I can make a matching flange and weld it to 2" pipe and I can put the same muffler on the intake side.  Would be easier to mount intake muffler inboard of the air filter.  Would this likely work?

From your pics of Gus, doesn't look like there's much you haven't rebuilt or replaced.  Ol' Gus should run like a Swiss watch when you get him back together.

ZEKE

Zeke,

I believe the very best performing type of muffler you could put on the intake is a long glasspack or better a steelpack.  I haven`t been able to locate one of those. It will work fine on the engine side of the air filter but may shed some of it`s glass fibers into the engine and there will not be a filter to catch them.  That is my only concern with a muffler after the air cleaner. If you do this keep the line length between the muffler and air filter as physically short as possible for least noise.  Length from silencer to intake valve is not so critical noise wise.  I mentioined steel pack thinking it would be less likely to shed fine abrasives like a glasspack may.

I would not use a reactive muffler for an air inlet silencer due to excessive insertion loss to flow.  Going very large bore here will reduce flow restriction but may not be particuarly effective, or simply overly  expensive.

If you have access to a machine shop you can make a really effective silencer from a 100 lb. propane tank with a 3 inch diameter perforated center pipe brazed down the center. As for tools you could do the whole job with just a cutting torch and brazing tip. Reduce to 2 inch to fit your intake manifold pipe on inlet.  Mount the air cleaner on the other end.  Fill the space between the tank and the center perforated pipe with pink fiberglass batting, or even better, rockwool.  Stuff like a fluffy pillow, fairly tight, not loose.  I guarantee virtually  no sound from the inlet with this silencer.  If you only use this silencer as an intake silencer you could roll the center perf pipe section from very fine brass mesh sieve and solder it along the seam.  That would keep glass fibers from entering the airflow to the engine.

When cutting open a used propane tank I always fill with water first to reduce the explosion hazard to zero.

I made one of these using a rolled piece of diamond mesh steel sheet down the center as a final muffler for my VW genset. I brazed the mesh seam. Although mine employed a rolled outer steel skin 4 feet long and the ends cut from a 20 lb propane bottle, the size of a 100 lb bottle is perfect and less work. The first muffler in my VW diesel plant is a regular reactive car muffler near the engine. The Glasspack is at the very end of the 2-1/4 inch 12 foot  vertical run through the roof with a flapper on the top outlet to keep rain out.  At full load I hear zero exhaust noise when standing next to the muffler on the roof.  This is what they would classify as a hospital grade or better silencer.  The only clue of the engine running outside is a faint hum of the metal building wall vibrating and a whisp of exhaust smoke when there is no wind.  I plan to deal with the wall re-radiation when I have the $$$ to redo and improve the actual generator room with improved wall treatments and new interior walls to make the generator room bigger to accomodate the other generators (Petter PJ-1 and Jiang Dong 175)  and related equipment, presently in yet another room and not so quiet..
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
I believe the very best performing type of muffler you could put on the intake is a long glasspack or better a steelpack.  I haven`t been able to locate one of those. It will work fine on the engine side of the air filter but may shed some of it`s glass fibers into the engine and there will not be a filter to catch

I guess this would be a rockpack. :)
http://books.google.com/books?id=5-EJAAAAIAAJ&printsec=titlepage#PRA1-PA424,M1

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »
I wondered about the debris from the muffler.  Are there some mufflers that are just a series of baffles, no glass or other packing?  Being on the intake side and being indoors, wouldn't think the insides would rust or flake off.

Other option is to ditch the factory air filter and improvise something equivalent.  Then could muffle the input side of the filter.  I'll have to keep looking and thinking and something will pop up.

Zeke

ps  Long time ago, worked on a guy  who was sitting astride an "empty" 300 gal. propane tank, cutting it with a torch.  Don't know how it didn't kill him, but he wasnt a boy anymore!

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2007, 02:11:13 AM »
I wondered about the debris from the muffler.  Are there some mufflers that are just a series of baffles, no glass or other packing?  Being on the intake side and being indoors, wouldn't think the insides would rust or flake off.

Other option is to ditch the factory air filter and improvise something equivalent.  Then could muffle the input side of the filter.  I'll have to keep looking and thinking and something will pop up.

Zeke

ps  Long time ago, worked on a guy  who was sitting astride an "empty" 300 gal. propane tank, cutting it with a torch.  Don't know how it didn't kill him, but he wasnt a boy anymore!

Zeke,

The type of muffler with baffles and no packing is called a reactive muffler.  I discussed that type and do not think it is well suited for intake noise silencing.  By all means. put an air filter after the big glasspack muffler and before the engine.  Problem solved.

Worked on?  Were you a medic or something?  That neuro typical should have died according to the goals of evolution but no system is perfect.  The gene pool certainly could use a little chlorine.  Reminded me of the ending scene in Dr. Strangelove.  Substitute A-bomb for propane tank.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2007, 04:28:55 AM »
Medic, no registered nurse at University of Virginia Burn/trauma center for 10 years.  I've seen everything that can be done to the human body and our survival rate was over 90%. (that was staff, the patients all died) ;)

Zeke

ps don't worry,he was out of the gene pool, permanently.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:31:01 AM by okiezeke »

kltrider

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
Just my 2cents. It seems to me the most typical type of reactive muffler on the automotive market today appears to be the "Flowmaster." I've got a pair of the stainless steel ones on my "delivery tuck." A 1990 Isuzu tilt cab with a 500 "cubit ench" Cadillac V8. They work well, and really calm down the sound.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »
 My exhaust side rebuild is almost done.  2" steel pipe is heavy, but I hope not too heavy.  Can always add support from the skid if needed.  Thinking of going with electrical conduit on the intake side.  Much lighter, could even use aluminum.  (dont have access to hydraulic fittings)  Trying to figure how to make a filter housing to put downstream of the muffler.  Could use a rectangular automotive filter element.  Need to think more...

Zeke

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »
Doug, thanks for the idea.  My new exhaust manifold is an off the shelf McMaster 2" pipe flange, turned down to fit the head.

Need to work over the inside of the 90 degree ell with the die grinder.
Zeke

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2007, 03:43:22 AM »
Probably a lot easier that what I did, the only advantage I have is the speed I can couple and uncouple things.

Probably going to store my engine with plugs in place untill needed.....

Doug

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2007, 01:43:20 AM »
The muffler is mounted.  I was browsing thru McMaster on line and came acrossed an intake air filter with noise reduction.  Filters 100cfm to 2 microns and 10db noise reduction.  I've ordered one and will take only minor fabrication to mount it.  If it works will be much easier than having to mount a muffler and a filter on inlet side.  Think I'll fire up the engine after I get the inlet filter mounted and see how it runs.  Pics to follow.
Zeke