Author Topic: Flickering lights  (Read 20726 times)

Doug

Re: Flickering lights
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 03:09:08 AM »
Cool eh?

As far as I know the Palmour mine In Timmins was 25 when it closed a couple of years ago, but there may be others left up there. Mother hydro dropped the 25 service around that time so I don;t know where they are getting thee power perhaps MG sets as you said.
I rewound the last 25 Hz machine tools from Inco's Crane Hill mine machine shop to 60 Hz about 11 years ago.
I believe Big Eddy was the last dam up here that generated 25 before it was upgraded 10 years ago.

I still think 25 has its place especialy in grinding mills and giant low speed drives and will be with us for a little longer.

Any word on your engine yet Steve? Its what 6 weeks by ship right?

Doug

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 04:49:03 AM »
Doug,
       Paper work is on the way - the motor was sent out the last week of January by the sounds of it.  Anand had already taken steps to correct the cylinder rusting problem, but that caused some delay.  The gen head is here - I need to get some pics of it - it looks nice - there are some minor changes I'll request, but for now - I dont have any way to get that 48mm shaft spinning.  I've been thinking about tapping a hole for a bolt and using a drill to spin it up.  Not sure if you got my PM about that scan - but I did recieve it, and if you have time for the others I'd appreciate it.

The map showed at least one 25Hz line (cant remember where) - supplying some goof-ball customer (ie. old equipement, slow speed and BIG) - I dont really recall the source of the 25Hz, but it was definatley there.  I asked a couple "ARE YOU SURE??" questions - and got it confirmed, this was 2.5 years ago.  Apparently all the transformers/fuses etc were as old as you would expect, and were something to see.  Apparently the companies still made the replacement parts though....

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »
I am tickled to hear that the entire world has not completely sold its soul to planned obsolescence.

I am a happier man now.

Finest regards,

troy

Doug

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 02:59:11 AM »
No Troy, some things were built to last....

As a matter of fact in around 92 a safety inspection a decomissioned shaft should that someone had forgotton to "park" the conveyence in (cage, elevator like but with two decks) and it was still at a station, in the shaft that hadn't been inspected in over a decade (This is bad because in a wet acid enviroment things rot and seize fast). Three electricians were able to start the hoist and move it to a possition where it could be properly decomissioned. All that was needed was a few switches closed, a water presure switch by passed and a bit of creative wiring to bypass the soda ash ressistor for the speed control that had rusted away.

Now thats built to last..... 

Steve my gut feeling is that must be a mine in the Timmins area...
They should preserve it when it closes. On the one hand I like the 6 phase GE Silpacs and the ABB commutator less DC machines we have today, but the truth is I like crude machines that make noises, funny smells, and strange vibratrions well in advance of a failure to give you a chance to head off a disaster.
SCRs, IGBTs and sophistimacated electronics don't give you any warning they just go 'Piff", now find me.....

I didn't get your message, but I'll try and scan everything I can in the manual and send it too you. Glad to hear your engine is well greased up and in transit. I asked Mr Patel about that very question and he assured me he was on top of the situation. I also told him I waiting on the results of your tear down before I ordered my own engine. I believe he and many of the other Indian companies are becoming aware that we the end users are talking to each other about their products and QC.

Doug

Matthans

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 03:12:09 AM »
This might come as a shock to you solar guy but 25 Hz power was around for a lot longer than you may realize. We only stopped generating about 15 years ago because we finaly didn't need it any more. 25 hz power was realy nice in industrial use because it allowed you to run low speed drives with 4 and 6 pole machines. It was also easy to generate and had lower line looses.

Doug

Amtrak still uses 25 Hz on their drive lines. Up until about 10 years ago Pepco (potomac electric power company) still ran a 25 cycle motor generator to feed the Wash DC end of the Amtrak system. That was a humongous piece of 1920's equipment. Now they get their 25 Hz from a solid state converter they had installed outside DC in Bowie MD

Doug

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 03:55:24 AM »
Also NYC transit uses 25 Hz and those wonderfull old Syncronous converters of the same era.
If it ain't broke and you can still find someone to fix it let it run!

The solid state device you mention is called a cyclo converter more funky old technology but with a twist. They still make them after 60 years and they are even the prefered method of speed control in special aplication like grinding mills with sycronous motors because of there simplicity

Doug