Puppeteer

Author Topic: Shipping Original Engines to USA  (Read 16151 times)

Mr Lister

• View Profile
Shipping Original Engines to USA
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »
List,

I have had a couple of enquiries about shipping original Lister engines to the USA (East coast), and elsewhere.

Initial quotes from online shipping agents suggest that this would cost between $500 and $1000 for a single engine.   :(

Shipping costs are by volume rather than weight, so there is the option of putting two or more engines in a crate, to reduce costs.

Below is a typical quote, I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows how to ship overseas more economically.

Original Listers appear on ebay over here every month and sell for around $500 for an engine in reasonable condition.

Ken

Group #1:
Calculation Based On Goods of Size    96cm x 72cm x 112cm

Total Cubic Meters 0.77 CBM / Total Gross Weight 903.89 lb or 410 kgs.

Quantity : 1 

PARTICULARS VALUE RATE AMOUNT
Freight          (For New York Min 1 CBM) 1 CBM $55.00 $55.00 
Bill of Lading     $50.00
Forwading Fees     $145.00
Terminal Transfer 410 kgs $0.02 $8.20
Origin Receiving Charges 1 CBM $65.00 $65.00 
Bunker Adjustment Factor     $11.00
Security Fees     $40.00
GRI Charges 1 CBM $25.00 $25.00 
AMS Filing Fee     $30.00
DAD Fees     $85.00
Pickup Charges                (11 - 50 Miles)     $145.00
Customs Clearance     $185.00
Residential Pickup Surcharge     $125.00
Insurance Charges
         ( Type Of Goods : Industrial Goods )     $35.00 

Total US $1,004.20

schoust

• View Profile
Re: Shipping Original Engines to USA
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:58:29 PM »
   I would love an original and would gladly pay the 500.00 to ship it if the cost of the engine were reasonable and it was in good shape.It would sure beat a Listeroid IMHO.... ;)

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:26:12 PM »
Schoust & List,

If I can find a way to minimise the shipping fees, and overheads - possibly by forum members wanting to share the cost of a consignment, and ship several engines in a lot, then this could be viable.

Engines appear on ebay here about once a month and my friend and I bought 12 between us in the last 12 months.

Some are near runners, requiring an oil change, a clean-up and perhaps a valve change before they will run.  These generally trade for about $500 on ebay.

Engines in show condition, twins and Start-o-matics often sell for much more,  however a friend bought a reasonable S-O-M for $500.

I will say, however, that most engines are missing the accessories, such as starter handles, inlet and outlet water flanges and intake and exhaust flanges. These parts are often lost when the engine is removed from its installation or changes ownership.

IMHO, it is perfectly acceptable to replace these parts with those manufactured in India, as original Lister spare parts are getting quite rare and expensive.

Frost damage is the main killer of the Lister CS. Heads and cylinders are often cracked and then patched up with steel plate, or brazed.

All of the engines that I have seen so far date from the late 40's and early 50's.

I would be happy to investigate further on behalf of forum members if there is sufficient interest.

It might be a good policy to mark any shipping crates "antique engine parts" ;)

Ken

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:06:20 PM »
Here is an item on ebay UK..that Is a phenominal buy even if you do have to ship it. I am following it but have allready plunked my money down on a 12/2 listeroid and am assured it is stateside for delivery in Feb....Hope one of you guys picks this one up. It is a bueaty. Ken might be able to help out as a shipping contact from the other side of the pond....?
ENJOY...(eat your heart out)....binnie
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=6598234233&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:39:19 PM »
Binnie & List,

I agree, this original 12/2 twin is a real beauty, and I would love to bid on it.

Unfortunately I have spent all my pocket money this week, so sadly I don't think I will be bidding.

Ken

Stan

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 02:50:42 AM »
Let's all not get our cheque books our quite yet however, when shopping in the UK for these type of engines, there may be some hidden costs.  It takes 2 men to collect one of these things from backyard sheds, basements(?) back lanes etc.  First they have to rent a lorrie with some form of lift attached.  Even if you are going to winch it up a ramp it still takes two men and lots of time.  Then you have to consider the last time I drove from Cambridge to the lakes country it took a good 3 hrs on the motorway.  These aren't all going to be at the country place just down the road.  Then someone has to take it home and build a solid box for it.  Then they have to take it to a shipper, unless they happen to live near the docks.  Who do you suppose will do all this for us?  I don't know but I do know they will want some compensation! 

What would you charge to hire another guy, rent a truck with a hi-up on it, drive from Boston to South Carolina to pick it up, drive back then box it up and take it to a shipper in New Jersey?
Stan

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 01:23:06 AM »
Hi Stan.
Anything you do requires an effort & expences...especially if it doesn't fit into the box...that requires a challenge.
I noticed that the 12/2 original lister went for 580.00 British pounds...less than you would pay American for a 6/1 listeroid....yes there are pblms....pick up & shipping accross the pond Plus paperwork & expences shipside.
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:26:12 pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schoust & List,

If I can find a way to minimise the shipping fees, and overheads - possibly by forum members wanting to share the cost of a consignment, and ship several engines in a lot, then this could be viable
I would be happy to investigate further on behalf of forum members if there is sufficient interest.

It might be a good policy to mark any shipping crates "antique engine parts"

Hi Stan.
Anything you do requires an effort & expences, plus help...especially if it doesn't fit into the normal box that is produced... that requires a special effort & a challenge!
I noticed that the 12/2 original lister on ebay went for 580.00 British pounds today...less than you would pay American for a 6/1 listeroid....yes there are pblms....pick up & shipping from, & accross the pond, plus paperwork & expences shipside.(where do the Listeroids come from?)
This is the real thing, the genuine article that is nolonger in production, and not an Indian copy that still carries with it an "if" when you buy, and at best is the "luck of the draw".
 An Original with a history of a successful run, which is in good shape with all its parts (replaceable by Indian mfg'd replicas if needs be) must be a better buy and at these prices. It damn well is.
I regret that my timing was off, and I am now already comitted to a listeroid 12/2....and not receiving an Original 12/2 Lister. I am "green" with envy for the buyer and at the same time happy this particular machine will have a future life with some new owner who really appreciates it.
I am also amazed that no one on the list has picked up on the offer by Ken to help memembers with shipping & help from the other side of the pond. This to me is a golden opportunity (a contact on the other side ?)... especially with the recent EPA rulings and the possible dry up of Listeroids from India to the States. Where are you going to get anything like it if you really want one? How are you going to get it there, and where are you going to find it?
There must be a panic now to buy up what is already States side (I know there is in Cda. and we are not subject yet to the ruling, but do get most of our imports from the States)..and when that dries up?  
The idea of shipping "Antique engine parts" and or "collectables, Handle with Care" is a good one...since most are more than 30 years old & qualify as duty free...(at least in this country)
Just a thought from a collecter of old cars who knows what it is and the effort & expence that is required just to find a good original. They don't make them anymore ! ....Binny

sawmiller

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
 Start-o-matic for sale UK #6604782083

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »
OK Guys,

The deal is I have a shipping container planned for the late fall heading to US

Shipping charges are about $2500 for the 20 foot container.  I can put up to 36 Lister original crated engines in there.

I can find engines original here and store them until I have a full load to ship.  Engines would be bought on ebay and other sources and paid for by PayPal.

Shipping charges and storage would be shared equally amongst the participants.

I already have 4 forum members interested in this scheme   - the more the merrier.

This is my 100th post - does that make me a full member yet  ;-)

Ken

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:51:48 AM »
Hey thanks Ken.  Which US coast though, East or West?  West and I'm probably in.

achildofthesky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 12:39:48 AM »
I'm looking to find a 10/2 or 12/2 and a 6/1 original lister cs diesel and am very interested in the possibilities of this. I am in the market NOW and looking to buy but prefer an original, real thing as I am an old time engine head. I grew up rebuilding antique engines from age 10. Rebabbiting, boring cylinders, grinding valves and cranks and the like. Anyone with a original lister here in the states looking to sell consider dropping me a line, I'd appreciate it and am ready to buy. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing more on this deal.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:49:11 PM by achildofthesky »

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »
Guys,

Sorry about lack of posts for 4 days - I have been hauling Lister engines across the UK  (600 miles)

No decision has been made yet about which coast/port, but the original enquiry was for Houston.

Perhaps I should borrow a Hercules transport plane and chuck them out as I pass overhead ;-)

Ken

Doug

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 01:53:29 AM »
I just had a vission of 1000 pounds of Iron coming to rest in my basement and no idea of who it was intended for lol.

Doug

Stan

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 04:25:11 AM »
Or it could be blue ice ???
Stan