Puppeteer

Author Topic: Porting a Lister cylinder head and intake  (Read 82499 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: Porting a Lister cylinder head and intake
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2013, 05:42:18 AM »
    You fellows have raised an interesting  point about induction when mentioning one way reed valves. While not practical in the real world .........Thinking of the intake noise when the intake valve opens while there is still some combustion chamber pressure even if the cam is "timed" correctly.
   What if............the Lister or Petter could have a two stroke engine type of reed valve mounted as close as possible to the intake valve ???
    Just a theoretical question......... Yes I know we are talking low single digit percent gains at the very best 

Not sure reed valves would do anything.  Other than possibly cause a small restriction at full tilt.
There -may- be some noise reduction but the valves would still have to open to let the air in. The narrowing of the opening may make the intake quieter.
You could use 2 stroke type reeds. I Imagine on something the size of a Lister you would want to get a bunch of them off bikes and put them onto a manifold so as to create sufficient air inlet.
Don't know there would be any practical performance gains. I'm not sure if any back pressure from the valve closing would be held by the reeds anyway. It would be very minimal.

I'm going to try a plenum  I got off a car on mine and see if that makes any difference. have that after the air cleaner ( an airbox again from a vehicle ) and a snorkel into the box as well.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
On the Transit 2.5 DI engines fitted with what is colloquially called the banana manifold, the butterfly valve is there to create a depression in the manifold at low throttle settings which as Glort says actuates the EGR valve,   a crappy side effect is that oil oil mist coming through the crankcase ventilator which when mixed with hot exhaust gas eventually bungs the manifold with black goop.   Been there done that,  2.5 DIs do have a very noisy inlet.

Mark.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 05, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »
Just a thought off the side, a CS when running under load with a straight through type silencer, produces quite a powerful shock wave which precedes the actual exhaust gas, is there a way of harnessing this to somehow aid the induction process?

Mark.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
Some reciprocating diesels and gas turbines throttle the inlet to increased efficiency at low power output levels.