Author Topic: question about changfa style engine  (Read 9782 times)

its-st

• View Profile
question about changfa style engine
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what that circled thing in the picture is?
The engine is a 21KW direct injection changfa style engine.

http://upload.vs249020.vserver.de/files/9b1ad81adffbb9521911b8397563d922.jpg

I hope someone can help me.

Best greetings from Germany,
Michael

mjn

• View Profile
    • My Changfa Generator Project
Re: question about changfa style engine
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
My Changfa 195 does not look exactly like yours, but mine has a similar fitting.  Here is a picture of that area on my engine:

Mine has a screw to adjust the wide open rack setting.  Turn the screw in to limit the amount of fuel injected at the "wide open" position.  Another possibility is that is the access point to actuate the injector pump when bleeding the air from the injector line.  My engine does not have an access port to actuate the injector pump.

Changfa 195 7.5 kw ST.  WVO conversion http://martin.nile.googlepages.com/
Metro 6/1 DI Listeroid. Pumping water for fire control.
1933 Stover CT-1 hit and miss
1936 Farmall F-12 -- unrestored, still used to mow the field

its-st

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:51:24 AM »
Hi,
That's not.

I found out that that is a fuel priming handle.

Can anyone explain me what that is?

TerryM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:19:42 AM »
Michael,

The component you've circled is an installation aid that depresses the piston in the injection pump so it will clear the cam lobe when you R & R the front case cover.  Scroll down to my post ""Acceptable Slop in Crank to Balance Shaft..." and look at the second image.  It's a shot of the backside of the front case cover.  The cover is upside down so the injection pump is in the upper left hand corner.  You can see the back side of the circled component behind the injection pump.  Scroll down to the next photo and you can see the location of the injection pump cam lobe in the lower left corner.

The way the installation aid works is that half the shaft is removed for the last 15 mm or so, such that if you looked end-on at the shaft, it would appear like the letter "D" - flat on one side and rounded on the other.  The operational position is with the flat towards the injection pump piston.  During reassembly, you turn the nut on the outside of the case and the "D part of the shaft rotates until the rounded part bears on the piston and depresses it just enough to clear the cam lobe.  One you get the case cover on and secured with a couple of bolts, you rotate the nut until you feel it lose contact from the piston. 

Congratulations your Changfa acquistion - you're going to have a lot of fun with it.   They're hellishly loud and sound like they are going to come apart at any moment.  It's taken me a while to realize that Changfa noise is a lot like Detroit Diesel noise - that's just a characteristic of the machine and isn't indicative of imminent failure. 

Cheers,
Terry

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:46:46 AM »
Michael,

The component you've circled is an installation aid that depresses the piston in the injection pump so it will clear the cam lobe when you R & R the front case cover.  Scroll down to my post ""Acceptable Slop in Crank to Balance Shaft..." and look at the second image.  It's a shot of the backside of the front case cover.  The cover is upside down so the injection pump is in the upper left hand corner.  You can see the back side of the circled component behind the injection pump.  Scroll down to the next photo and you can see the location of the injection pump cam lobe in the lower left corner.

The way the installation aid works is that half the shaft is removed for the last 15 mm or so, such that if you looked end-on at the shaft, it would appear like the letter "D" - flat on one side and rounded on the other.  The operational position is with the flat towards the injection pump piston.  During reassembly, you turn the nut on the outside of the case and the "D part of the shaft rotates until the rounded part bears on the piston and depresses it just enough to clear the cam lobe.  One you get the case cover on and secured with a couple of bolts, you rotate the nut until you feel it lose contact from the piston. 

Congratulations your Changfa acquistion - you're going to have a lot of fun with it.   They're hellishly loud and sound like they are going to come apart at any moment.  It's taken me a while to realize that Changfa noise is a lot like Detroit Diesel noise - that's just a characteristic of the machine and isn't indicative of imminent failure. 

Cheers,
Terry

Okay, I have a Changfa 195. The manual shows the circled device also. The manual explains that this is there to assist in priming the fuel system. If you put a wrench on it and rock it back and forth with the injector line loose at the injector it will assist in bleeding the air from the pump and lines. I ran my engine out of fuel and I used this procedure and it really does work.

john
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

its-st

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 01:25:07 PM »
Hello!
Thank you for your answers.
It's very hard to read your posts in technical english, so it takes a few days for me.

I've another questions:
Must or should I change the injection timing or do something other if I replace the the original air cleaner with a qieter air cleaner from a car?

And has someone experiences in running a changfa in the cellar? Because the main problem would be the noise. The inlet and exhaust noice is maybe not the problem to get a changfa silent.
The vibrations of the engine will make it very loud.

What do you think?
And sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand me ;-)

And Terry: You're right! Those engines are awesome!

Michael
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:27:42 PM by its-st »

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:52:02 PM »
I know that a lot of people run their engines inside of their homes but I would never advise doing that. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is too great. You also have a fire danger. And the noise from a Changfa? How could you ever sleep? I have spend more money on making my engine quiet than I paid for the engine and at midnight when everything is quiet outside you can here the engine running 2 blocks away!

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

its-st

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »
Hi,
thank you for your reply.

I can sleep, my changfa isn't in the cellar yet.

You're right, there is a high risk. Maybe I can install fire detectors or other, but at first it should run.
What did you modify on your changfa?

Here's manaual of german built diesel genset with changfa engine. The engine is a S1100 with a bigger oil sump. The noice of the set is 55dba.

http://www.eternalenergy.de/Handbuch_190307.pdf

Best greetings,
Michael

Biloxibad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:45:35 PM »
It appears to be in a silenced cabinet already,  As others have said, just make sure that the exhaust is sealed and properly vented.  Also make sure that there is a Carbon Monoxide sensor with a remote alarm horn, so that you don't venture into the basement, in the event that CO is detected. 

Also since it is likely to be used in the event of a power failure, that both the CO detector and the alarm horn are always included in the circuits to be powered.

By the way, that is a very fine manual.

Steve
Metro lister6/1
Jiang Ling zx1125
ST15
Baldor 20 3 ph 3450
Baldor 10 Hp single phase 1750

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 12:05:30 AM »
Depending on temperature CO may be lighter than air, also something to consider.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Mervb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 09:57:51 PM »
That is the fuel primer pump. Rocking it back and forth with a wrench (turn the engine a bit so that you feel some resistance) will pump fuel into the injector ( loosen the top nut on the pipe to bleed out the air), then , when it stops sending out bubbles, lock the nut back down.

Put the red 'speeed control' all the way to the botom.

Open the compression release and start cranking.  When you can crank no faster , release the compression release and the engine should start.

Move the speed control to mid range and adjust your speed to suit your need.

Let the engine 'warm ' for about 5- 10 minutes WITHOUT LOAD, turn on the load and enjoy the noise. (There will be enough to go around)

These engines are hard to kill but a dedicated dimwitt can do it !

mervb@isp.com