Author Topic: Where are you calling from?  (Read 11840 times)

T19

Where are you calling from?
« on: November 23, 2005, 02:27:24 AM »
So, how diverse is our little group. (BTW good job ADMIN)

Who :Andrew : T19 was my last C/S (call sign) in the Army - Tanker
What: Computer Geek
Where: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Why : we get lots of blackouts due to snow, ice rain and heat.  I wanted to buy a power generator - Coleman or homelite, but after reading the stuff on the web, I see that they are junk, but the Lister is well.... Tempting
How : I want to get a Lister and have power protection, and run the meter back.  May go off grid down the road, one step at a time

So how about the rest of you?

Clay

• View Profile
Re: Where are you calling from?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 03:37:57 AM »
My name is Clay. I'm a survival whacko.

I got one for when the SHTF.

I'm in Northern California foothills of the Sierras.

Stevels

• The Crisco Cowboy
  • Computer geek gone low tech!
    • View Profile
    • My alternitive engine projects
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 02:02:10 AM »
Hey Listerines! Here is my $0.02.

Who: Steve: Stevels (Pronouced Stee-vils) This handle was what this gay housemate called me about 15 years ago out of college.  His name was "Teddles"  My wife, whom lived there also at the time, thought it was the funniest, so, with my luck, the name stuck after all these years.  No one knows the origin of this name -- now you all do!! Am I sharing too much here?? :)  I have no idea what became of Teddles.

Where: Providence, RI USA

Why: SO many reasons.  I am not a hippy nor a Right Winger.  Athough for a normal guy, I get so angry at being a schmuck to the "system"  Big oil, Electric Utility Grids, etc.  I LOVE the idea of gnerating my own electricity and selling back the the power company, by burning a waste vegetable product that burns clean, is renewable, and is domestic.  Sometimes I feel like a hard core fanatical patriot with my belief that the US should embrace a domestic source of power (and goods too - don't get me going about trying to find an American flag NOT made in China).  I want to be proactive in WVO and SVO, as well as other renewable, domestic energy supplies.  Ironically, I am doing this with an Indian built engine and a Chinese generator, but you get the point.  Also, I just finished a wonderful conversion of my car to run on WVO.  As for Listeroids, they are the coolest because they are so raw, basic and simple... and SLOW!

How: I have an Ashwemeh 12/2 I just uncrated.  http://www.steveadler.com/wvo_generator_project.htmI am just about to grab a ST 8KW head.  Need to figure out how to fabricate everything else I will need and once I am generating AC, I will work on the WVO hybrid converstion.

So how about the rest of you?
Converting everything I own to run on WVO

ultrapan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 03:45:33 AM »
Nice job of documenting your Lister adventure Steve .
I'm in Oregon I'd like to get one for backup power and eventually I'd like to get some off the grid land in eastern Oregon for a vacation cabin and set one up. If you fill out your member profile it will let the other members know where you're at.

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 04:22:53 AM »
 Hi, I just found this site. Sounds like some super people here! I am in Washington State. Very new to Lister engines but am hooked on them already. Do any of you know any thing about John Alvin in  Oregon? He sells Listers under power-co.net? I am picking up 12/2 & 7.5 gen head next mo from him. Any info on him would be helphful

T19

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 01:43:01 PM »
Good Luck, interresting site, had not seen his site before, Tx

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 07:34:20 AM »
 Stevels, What made you decide on the 8kw gen head? I am getting a 7.5 gen head and 12/2 650rpm Lister from John Alvin in Lebenon, Oregon the first of Dec. Hope I have the right matchup. Would I be out of line asking how much you hade to pay for your 12/2?

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
hey to all listeroids out there.

name here is troy, i am a survivalist, love diesels and listeroids. i program computers for banks and for fun on the net. also do some organic farming. i love babseball and played it til age 40 (where the nick came from) i think republicans are liberals and live in northern wisconsin. i set the site up because i love exhanging ideas with others about things i have great interest in which definately includes listeroids.

nikos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 01:52:41 PM »
Hi all,

Joined this list(er) a few days ago, and'll use Stevels format of intro..

Who: Nikos. Sorry no cool handle, just me name ;-? Lived and worked as Mech Eng in Boston for a while, into IT development for the last
last 15 years; databases, web, gis yaddahh...Part time math and IT instructor for the DOD stationed here.. Have tons of used veggie oil...

Where: Crete, an island of Greece in the Med.

Why: Well, been living off-grid for about 4 1/2 years. Been running scrap UPS's for a while, but now w/ a real battery bank and inverters. Realized at some point that reliable, DIY Stirling engine was not going to happen (Viebach himself told me that while his Stirling kit was good for "study" etc. it was not really up for primetime)
Fried a few small gas gens, then ran a while with a diy Rugerrini single diesel off a pumping station. Couldn't handle the 3Krpm noise and belt problems.
Been running an air/oil cooled Deutz 1500 rpm 6KVA sometimes w/ veggie mix for about three years now (7500 hrs..).
Really tough engine. Main problem w/ Deutz besides the noise, albeit alot less than the italian one, is oil spewing from cylinder glazing due to insufficient loads...Run the thing with hot water tap dripping for ~6 hours and "seat" the rings again. Good again for a couple of months....

My (still) unfinished stone house was built with a Lister gen running a diamond disk saw for cutting the stones, thus the incubation of SE disease

Needs: Charge batteries, run welder, tools washing machines...

Plans: While I could use one of the true slow speed Greek singles floating around here mostly from pumping applications or small fishing boats, most are incomplete or heavy salt corrosion  w/ complete lack of parts.
Got a friend w/ a VISA card to order me George's CD to get a better handle on what to expect w/ Indian engines, and maybe a pointer on some of the "better" makers.
While I'd buy a Listeroid from George if I was stateside, I think it'd be silly carting 1000 lbs around the globe..

Option 1: Good jeweler friend goes to India every year so the idea was to have him buy me an engine there and as some one mentioned, oversee the assembly...
Possibly good test of friendship...

Option2: Just order one from India..

Option3: I read Ken Boak's (of Stirling engine fame?) post yesterday, and thought to coax or beg  Ken if he'd find an send me a decent Lister/Startomatic to Greece...
Waddaya say Ken?

regards,
nikos

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 05:26:22 AM »
I should have looked closer for the intro page!
I got an invitation and I appreciate it.  This group is something that's been needed a long time.

I feel like the guy in the second wagon train...wondering how somebody got ahead of me in such a wonderful endevour, but realizing there will be a LOT of folks behind, because this 'hobby' is on the increase.  Over 63,000 hits on my photo page through utterpower.com.  There's a bunch of folks *wanting* to turn a crank!

I'm Jack at Magic Hot Springs, Idaho.    I'm the caretaker of an off grid 'institution' 22 miles past the 'Dead End' sign in far south-central Idaho, USA.   I was interested in whatever power source I could find to make a place more affordable to live in.  I  FOUND IT!!  After a year of hydro-electric study, solar and wind surveys and hydrogen power cell investigation, I found a Listeroid on ebay!
The whole tale and updates are here:
http://www.utterpower.com/magic_springs.htm

I make things and hunt and fish and invent things and make a lot of plans that never seem to get done at all, much less on time.  I can 'think' of things more complicated than I can 'do' things, so I learn a lot by having to figure out how.

I tend to work in 'projects' and REALLY bear down on them one at a time, but usually have several going at once.  "Deadline" has taken on a new meaning with the loss of nearly all my old friends in five short years.  So, I've decided to work on *my* projects with no income worth having a bank account about, but a vast residual of knowlege, neat stuff and tools after 35 years of building and studying firearms.  I  HAVE projects!
     Thanks to the discovery of the Listeroid and the help and support of the people that study and supply them I can afford to live for 'free' and enjoy the challenge of being the one ALL the fingers point to when something goes wrong, but really proud of the things that finally go right.

I'm a politically Conservative, literal Constitutionalist that enjoys debate and discussion of REAL issues.  I can't tolorate movies or their stars.   Shooting has damaged my hearing so that I pretty much agree with the guy that said, "of all the noises, music is the least offensive", but I can play my guitars without waking up the dogs because I feel it in my chest.

I've worked as an expert witness in many Courts on the mechanical features, operation, history, failures and alternatives in fire-arms designs. I've played lessor roles in ballistics, range safety, and accident reconstruction cases.   I love the process of investigation of failures and the invention of alternatives, but it means somebody has to get shot for me to get paid.  That's a tiresome position to be in for long.

I have a complete machine shop and welders and a side canyon full of scrap iron.  Now I have affordable and fun  power.  I'm hooked on slow!

I'm also getting the twitches for a twin .....
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

T19

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 12:17:07 PM »
Hi Hotater
I see from your site, you have done some work on a muffler that runs quiet, could you give us some more detail?

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 03:08:17 PM »
T-19---

Be glad to...

I routed the exhaust pipe, which is possibly too small and will be changed to a larger flex tube soon, into the top of a section of concrete culvert pipe stood on end.  The exhaust goes through the center hole of an old spare tire that was laying around with nothing to do which lays on top of the culvert.  This cut noise by a bunch, but there was a ringing echo from the culvert.  I noticed that by laying an old dog bedding blanket on the tire that the sound was muffled a BUNCH more, but the blanket started smelling like burnt dog hair in just a few minutes, (duh!).   Since I'm using a flow through cooling system (to be described in an upcoming post) I have about five gallon an hour of waste water leaving the engine.  I directed this to the blanket muffler cover to keep it wet.  It *really* smells nice now!   ;D  I'll find a piece of glass insulation one of these days and replace the blanket. For now it's a really good carbon trap and the engine noise is more felt than heard.

The culvert is standing on a gravel bed which drains into a small ditch that takes left-over artesian well water to the creek.  This muffler has been in position for six months now and I've seen no signs of 'rainbows' in the water anywhere or other signs of migrating pollution of any kind, but I keep a close eye on it.

One of these days I'll have a back-hoe down here to do some work and I'll bury the whole works.

Picture added to the gallery.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

veitchy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »
I just joined this site with a link from a contact at Smokestack. Thankyou Stan

My name is Graham Veitch, and I am a cocky (farmer) in country Western Australia. My interest is in old engines in general and Listers are flavour of the month  because I am in the process of overhauling a 3 1/2 HP aircooled diesel at the moment. We use this engine to drive an auxilury pump for the farm water supply. It runs when the wind won't blow and our windmills won't go. We also have another one driving a 32volt portable sheep shearing plant generator. I also have my grandfathers old 1925  L model petrol Lister in the shed. Unfortunately it's had some bits ratted off it over the years, and I will have to find some replacement parts beffore it will breath again (but one day......in the fullness of time............. you get the idea)

Anyway, its nice to make your aquaintance, and I will be keeping an eye on your very interesting site.
See ya,
Graham ;)

skidder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
HI , all     i live in the n.w. conn. small town called winsted   right now its snowing an about   15-20 F    got the stove going an the coffee on     anny takers??

Stan

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 10:56:50 PM »
I'd guess it's my turn.  I live in Kimberley BC, a small ski resort in the S.E. corner of BC.  I'm 4.5 hrs N. of Spokane Wa.  and a similar distance W. of Calgary Alberta.  If there's anyone remotely near me that I could converse with I'd appreciate it.  I think there are a few people on this forum in Idaho and Montana.  I'm a couple of hrs N. of Kalispell.  Being 11 hrs drive East of Vancouver is a bit of a drag but that should be rectified next fall when I (hopefully) move to Vancouver Island.
Stan